Rolling Stone Thinks MMJ Should Get the Grammy

Started by maxc, Jan 28, 2009, 02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xmascriminal

In the latest issue of Rolling Stone, they have an article predicting who will win and saying who should. They say the Vegas odds are with Radiohead, but they think MMJ should take it:

"America's best live act made a killer studio CD that stretches its cosmic rock in new directions."

Short, but awesome. And very true. 8-)

EDIT: MMJ appears twice in the reader's poll: #9 on the best albums list and #3 on the best songs list for I'm Amazed.

EDIT 2: Jesus, Rolling Stone loves them. There's a whole write up about the bootleg of the MSG show:

One for the books: My Morning Jacket capped a breakthrough year with a four-hour set at Madison Square Garden, filling Phish's old New Years Eve venue with music as grandiose and epic as the moment demanded. Deploying a full horn section, the band kicked things off with Curtis Mayfield's "Move On Up", as Jim James - fully recovered from a nasty spill that killed MMJ's European tour - channeled Mayfield with falsetto perfection. MMJ rasied the funk factor later in the night with two consecutive Kool and the Gang covers ("Celebration" and "Get Down On It") and James Brown's "Cold Sweat". The covers mixed perfectly with material from the band's own catalog - check out the monstrous guitar breakdown on "Off the Record". Who cares if Jim nearly forgot every word of "Auld Lang Syne"? "I don't know the rest of these fucked up lyrics," he said. Dude, it's ok.

Ghosts_on_TV

In all honesty, I think In Rainbows should take it. And I love Evil Urges.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

xmascriminal

QuoteIn all honesty, I think In Rainbows should take it. And I love Evil Urges.

In Rainbows was awesome. But I still think it's their second worst-album. If I had to rank them, I'd go Hail to the Thief, OK Computer, The Bends, Kid A, Amnesiac, In Rainbows, Pablo Honey. I think I like Amnesiac more than the majority of RH's fans. The ones I've heard from anyway.

Ghosts_on_TV

In Rainbows was awesome. But I still think it's their second worst-album. If I had to rank them, I'd go Hail to the Thief, OK Computer, The Bends, Kid A, Amnesiac, In Rainbows, Pablo Honey. I think I like Amnesiac more than the majority of RH's fans. The ones I've heard from anyway.

Really? I can't believe Hail to the Thief is your favorite. Not knocking you, just saying. In Rainbows is my 2nd favorite, but Kid A is my absolute favorite album of all time. By anyone. Hail to the Thief to me, at least, is a decent amount of great songs that don't really make a cohesive album front to back. (Although my screen name comes from it's artwork).  ;)

xmascriminal

To tell you the truth, I used to not like that trillogy of albums at all. They just didn't pull me in like Ok Computer did at first. I think we can agree that Airbag is a better song for getting new fans than Everything in its Right Place, Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box or 2+2=5. Hail to the Thief is probably my favorite because it was the first one I really sat down and focused on, and therefore was the beginning of my appreciation for post-Ok Computer RH. I ended up listening to There There over and over and over for a few weeks and I eventually learned to love more or less the entire album. Then Kid A, then Amnesiac. My problem with In Rainbows was that it didn't challenge me at all. It's even easier to listen to than The Bends. And it's great, but it's really not that interesting compared to HTTT.

the sun and moon

I love Radiohead and In Rainbows, but hands down MMJ all the way!!

MMJ needs to get a Rolling Stone cover.

xmascriminal

QuoteI love Radiohead and In Rainbows, but hands down MMJ all the way!!

MMJ needs to get a Rolling Stone cover.

It'll happen. Next album I think.

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteTo tell you the truth, I used to not like that trillogy of albums at all. They just didn't pull me in like Ok Computer did at first. I think we can agree that Airbag is a better song for getting new fans than Everything in its Right Place, Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box or 2+2=5. Hail to the Thief is probably my favorite because it was the first one I really sat down and focused on, and therefore was the beginning of my appreciation for post-Ok Computer RH. I ended up listening to There There over and over and over for a few weeks and I eventually learned to love more or less the entire album. Then Kid A, then Amnesiac. My problem with In Rainbows was that it didn't challenge me at all. It's even easier to listen to than The Bends. And it's great, but it's really not that interesting compared to HTTT.

Actually, I don't agree with you at all, yet I don't think you are wrong, if that makes any sense. It depends on who's listening. I get where you are coming from about being challenged, but I don't think it has to be that way. I mean, how far left of center could they have gone post ok computer after Kid A and Amniesac? If they would have kept going their music would sound like total nonsense by now. The only thing to do is go back the other way, which is where I think HTTT went wrong and In Rainbows went right. HTTT pretty much rehashed everything they have done up to that point, and although it has some really, really great songs on it (There There, Sail to the Moon, A Punch up at a wedding...) it didn't really go anywhere. It's basic radiohead, up to that point. In Rainbows, however, makes you look at Radiohead, being everything that they are, from a different angle. It's the same band, but from a warmer, more soulful, point of view (Those  basslines!) It's their soul album.

xmascriminal

QuoteActually, I don't agree with you at all, yet I don't think you are wrong, if that makes any sense. It depends on who's listening. I get where you are coming from about being challenged, but I don't think it has to be that way. I mean, how far left of center could they have gone post ok computer after Kid A and Amniesac? If they would have kept going their music would sound like total nonsense by now. The only thing to do is go back the other way, which is where I think HTTT went wrong and In Rainbows went right. HTTT pretty much rehashed everything they have done up to that point, and although it has some really, really great songs on it (There There, Sail to the Moon, A Punch up at a wedding...) it didn't really go anywhere. It's basic radiohead, up to that point. In Rainbows, however, makes you look at Radiohead, being everything that they are, from a different angle. It's the same band, but from a warmer, more soulful, point of view (Those  basslines!) It's their soul album.

It isn't that I necessarily want them to keep getting more artsy, I just don't want their albums to continue to become lighter. I miss the intensity. I think they need to find a balance, like MMJ did on Evil Urges, combining the really out there, divisive stuff like Highly Suspicious with easier to take stuff like Sec Walkin'.

the sun and moon

xmascriminal

QuoteDo you think they'll go to the Grammys?

It's possible. They play Osaka on the 6th and the Grammys are on the 8th. So, they could make it if they got on a plane after the show, right?

dhooseyawaddy1

really... huge radiohead fan, but Hail and OKC? The Bends is probably right up there with Blind Melon's "Soup"  and Jacket's ISM as far as favorite albums of all time... but, for what it matters, I thing Urges is a better album top to bottom than Rainbows...

To each his own! ;)

Penny Lane

Really? I can't believe Hail to the Thief is your favorite. Not knocking you, just saying. In Rainbows is my 2nd favorite, but Kid A is my absolute favorite album of all time. By anyone. Hail to the Thief to me, at least, is a decent amount of great songs that don't really make a cohesive album front to back. (Although my screen name comes from it's artwork).  ;)

i agree with ghosts. In Rainbows is such an awesome album...the best since Kid A. fingers crossed for MMJ but i know they wouldn't have radiohead PLAY the grammys and then not win it. (sigh) at least MMJ was nominated ;-)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

goose

Hooked on four like one, two, three

Dillsnufus

they should wear the white tuxedos from the nye show.
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

ManNamedTruth

i agree with ghosts. In Rainbows is such an awesome album...the best since Kid A. fingers crossed for MMJ but i know they wouldn't have radiohead PLAY the grammys and then not win it. (sigh) at least MMJ was nominated ;-)

And I agree with both of you. I think Radiohead will and should win the Grammy.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Jaimoe

In Rainbows deserves to win. MMJ should have been nominated and then won the Grammy for Z.  

Kenny76

In Rainbows is a better album.  Fuck the Grammys anyway 8-)

goose

Hooked on four like one, two, three

capt. scotty

the grammys are tomorrow??

I thought they were always a monday or wednesday..not a thursday

BOO RADIOHEAD BOO!!
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons