Devil's Peanut Butter

Started by danz, Feb 08, 2009, 06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logan5ive

MMJ Shows 2005-2022 [30]

bartel

Quote from: Dillsnufus on Oct 11, 2012, 10:39 PM
Quote from: bartel on Oct 10, 2012, 09:12 AM
I forgot about this song for a year or so.. it's one of their best and thats funny because it hasn't even been released.

i wanna hear it! Please Help :shocked:

pm sent

LeanneP

Hey, we're PMing deets on this sucker now?  Yes please!
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

meatplate

Yes, please. Would love to hear it if someone can send it my way.

e_wind

i'm not sure if its frowned upon to pass this out or not. i believe jim said they didn't want  the song to ever be released, but at the same time it WAS released and isn't available to buy.

it is quite a fun jam though
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

logan5ive

Quote from: e_wind on Oct 14, 2012, 03:13 PM
i'm not sure if its frowned upon to pass this out or not. i believe jim said they didn't want  the song to ever be released, but at the same time it WAS released and isn't available to buy.

Why?

Easily one of their best songs.
MMJ Shows 2005-2022 [30]

Fully

Quote from: logan5ive on Oct 16, 2012, 12:44 AM

Why?

Who am I kidding? Here you gohttp://forum.mymorningjacket.com/index.php/topic,15070.msg267330.html#msg267330

There's a thread on here somewhere that discusses this. I don't have the time to search for it though.

e_wind

Quote from: logan5ive on Oct 16, 2012, 12:44 AM

Why?

i agree its a fantastic song. but jim is also a huge weirdo, who knows whats going on in the melon

e_wind

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jul 08, 2011, 08:48 PM
I'm assuming JDUB didn't know, but this question about Devil's Peanut Butter has been asked, quite recently in fact, and put to rest.

Back when I first joined the forum, DPB was available in a number of places, including The Steam Engine blog.  However, the band does not want this track public and it was pulled from various websites.

Many of you have noted the ID on this track lists the composer as Scott Cresto.  (the following is speculation)  Cresto is a record exec who likely gave the green light to put DPB on something called the Sundance Film Fest Sampler 2007 (there's a picture of Cresto online at Sundance in 2005).  My guess is he included this track, recorded during the "Z" sessions, without or against the band's wishes.  A search of this guy shows he's still in the biz.

Bottom line, some of us got the track before the band's wishes were made clear.  Most recently, when this came up again, I asked for the band's permission to provide a download link.  The band's wishes continue to be that the track not be publicly shared.  We need to respect that.

MMJ provides its fans with so much, some for sale and some for free.  Don't use the forum on their website to disrespect their wishes.

roffrs

The other day a theory involving this song popped into my head, so I thought I'd revive this thread.

I hear "Highly Suspicious" as (at least partially) an expression of Jim's dubious feelings toward the marketing and business sides of the music industry: "Ain't nobody care what's goin on in your mind, but they got they eye on your prize."

It occurred to me that the "peanut butter pudding surprise" could be a direct reference to the DPB release debacle. The surprise was played on the band by the label/whoever put DPB on that Sundance sampler (which dropped just a few months before the EU writing sessions).

Through that lens, HS comes across as an explicit indictment of the industry's disregard for the feelings and wishes of artists. It's a line that just seems silly on the surface, but those involved at the label might know exactly which Peanut Butter Jim's talking about—with the implication of, "don't ever fucking do that again."

Maybe I've just thought about this too much :shocked:, but what do y'all think? Does this theory hold any water?
Good luck comes from trying.

ChiefOKONO

Damn.  Well I hope one day they release it officially....

Come Closer

RobRoy286

Anyone got an active link? Haven't heard this before!

Come Closer

Climbing the Ladder > Devil's Peanut Butter would be dope