Main Menu

EU still

Started by aslongasukeepa..., Mar 10, 2009, 10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

QuoteHow did I never put this together

Dick Tracy  :D ;)

Pretty original. I'm actually suprised it took you so long to figure that out; my friends called me that the 3rd day of first grade, I guess you just aren't that quick...

Actually, he's just not that old!   Boo Yahh!   ;)

I go to great lengths to throw fun insults at people and home flick comes with the most obvious "Dick Tracy" comment and thinks he's on to something.....

brilliant  :-/

step it up headdy, by June, at the rate you're going, you'll have more posts than anyone here, but your game is terribly weak. Step it up, you don't want to make us look bad.

Vadie Stark

Quotedoesn't quite do it for me. I saw the boys twice this tour and seeing the songs live didn't really help much, either. I do like a handful of songs, and I don't think its crap or anything. Just as a whole album it still doesn't grab me. The album sounds over-produced to me. Its not a style thing, I always love bands experimenting, it just sounds like it was made intentionally poppy.

Are you going to let us know how you feel about EU every 8 months for the rest of our lives?  :)

http://www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1214857837/0

yes, yes, i am...look forward to the december post...dick

Dick,
    Actually, it's November, not December. March is the 3rd month, November is the 11th month. December is the 12th month.

soooo, 3 + 8 = 11 NOT 12.

(unless your calendar only has 11 months. But, it would have to be missing one of these months (do any of the following look unfamiliar to you?): April, May, June, July, August, September, October. If you live in a place where one of these months does not exist, then I apologize.)

but in the meantime...

You're welcome!  :)

And it's outta here :D
[highlight][/highlight]
Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

Leontheslut

Quotedoesn't quite do it for me. I saw the boys twice this tour and seeing the songs live didn't really help much, either. I do like a handful of songs, and I don't think its crap or anything. Just as a whole album it still doesn't grab me. The album sounds over-produced to me. Its not a style thing, I always love bands experimenting, it just sounds like it was made intentionally poppy.

Dude, I kind of feel your pain. It took me like 56 listens before I started to love EU for what it is.
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

capt. scotty

Pretty original. I'm actually suprised it took you so long to figure that out; my friends called me that the 3rd day of first grade, I guess you just aren't that quick...

I go to great lengths to throw fun insults at people and home flick comes with the most obvious "Dick Tracy" comment and thinks he's on to something.....

step it up headdy, by June, at the rate you're going, you'll have more posts than anyone here, but your game is terribly weak. Step it up, you don't want to make us look bad.

My intellect is just so far beyond that of a 3rd grader it took me awhile to put 2 and 2 together.

That, and since youre the nicest person around here, I never wouldve thought of calling you a dick in the first place.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Vadie Stark

[highlight][/highlight]

ycartrob

My intellect is just so far beyond that of a 3rd grader it took me awhile to put 2 and 2 together.

That, and since youre the nicest person around here, I never wouldve thought of calling you a dick in the first place.

really headdy? You feel you need to defend your intellect when compared to that of a 3rd grader?

this is disappointing

capt. scotty

really headdy? You feel you need to defend your intellect when compared to that of a 3rd grader?

this is disappointing

lets just put it this way:

I would totally win the grand prize on that show Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Vadie Stark

Are you going to let us know how you feel about EU every 8 months for the rest of our lives?  :)

http://www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1214857837/0

yes, yes, i am...look forward to the december post...dick

I'll be waiting....

Dudley

I love the album! Start to finish it has a great vibe to it.. I remember laughing a bit at the falsetto's i'll admit.. But now I belt out those same notes like any other track... The only track i tend to skip is look at you.. But that's another story.. It's a great song but it's meaning has been twisted into a visual tragedy for me..

el_chode

My main gripe with the album was the lack of reverb, and it didn't get me until I read the EW article that said something to the effect of "finally gone is that stupid reverb"
I'm surrounded by assholes

ManNamedTruth

QuoteI heard all this new EU material at the Houston show for the first time, and had to go to youtube to hear again. I loved it. Then the album came out, and i was a little disappointed with some of the production. I love the album, but i thought pat's drumming sounded less powerful than live. I do love the album except for 2 halves. that is the only mmj song i dont like. it does sound like a pop attempt, and they dont do that. the album is great, but man, it sounds so much better live.

I didn't think 2 halves was that bad. It was the first point in the line connecting a newer trend towards late 60s style pop music (2nd point, making the line, being Dear Wife). I usually skip Sec Walking, Thank You Too, and Look at You, however Look at You can be satisfied by a live version quite easily.

I've started skipping I'm Amazed due to over-saturation.

I scratch my head when people say they don't like Thank You Too. It's classic MMJ, a moment in the album where they just do what they do best and didn't try too hard to experiment with their sound. It's a sublime song and my favorite EU track from day one.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

BH

QuoteI heard all this new EU material at the Houston show for the first time, and had to go to youtube to hear again. I loved it. Then the album came out, and i was a little disappointed with some of the production. I love the album, but i thought pat's drumming sounded less powerful than live. I do love the album except for 2 halves. that is the only mmj song i dont like. it does sound like a pop attempt, and they dont do that. the album is great, but man, it sounds so much better live.

I didn't think 2 halves was that bad. It was the first point in the line connecting a newer trend towards late 60s style pop music (2nd point, making the line, being Dear Wife). I usually skip Sec Walking, Thank You Too, and Look at You, however Look at You can be satisfied by a live version quite easily.

I've started skipping I'm Amazed due to over-saturation.

I scratch my head when people say they don't like Thank You Too. It's classic MMJ, a moment in the album where they just do what they do best and didn't try too hard to experiment with their sound. It's a sublime song and my favorite EU track from day one.

Amen and a hallelujah!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

PapaJoeBear

Meh...

Its no Cobra.

;)

Kenny76

it's got soul and it jams.  what's not to love?

Janet

Was listening to this album again this weekend.  So good!  I'd put Highly Suspicious and Touch Me Pt 2 up against the best of the MMJ catalog any day.

Laid Low

When EU 1st came out I would sometimes skip over certain songs like "Highly suspicious" and "Librarian" but now when I listen to it i cant get enough of the songs I used to not dig as much.  

Thank you too is a great song btw but I still think "smokin' from shootin'" or "remnants" are the most bad ass songs from the album.
its not a head full of pills or amphetamines

capt. scotty

Thank you too is a great song btw but I still think "smokin' from shootin'" most bad ass songs from the album.

good post

el_chode

QuoteWhen EU 1st came out I would sometimes skip over certain songs like "Highly suspicious" and "Librarian" but now when I listen to it i cant get enough of the songs I used to not dig as much.  

Thank you too is a great song btw but I still think "smokin' from shootin'" or "remnants" are the most bad ass songs from the album.

Librarian gave me goosebumps the first time I heard it. First I heard the music, and I was like "this is awesomely creepy, and it takes real musicians to know when less is more" There was just enough of backing rhythm to give the song the proper feel. Then I heard the lyrics, and I read someone else post my exact sentiments - "Did he just say "intarwebs?". Instahooked.
I'm surrounded by assholes