Mics used on "it still moves" album

Started by zissou24, Mar 30, 2009, 02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zissou24

I love the vocal sound on the "it still moves" album.  I know that james uses a lot of different kinds of reverb and other stuff and I just love that sound.  It's kinda that old timey ghostly type sound.  I really want to get a good vocal mic but I don't know what to get I just know what I like.  I really love the sound on "where to begin", "Steam Engine", "Golden" "One in the same".  Anyone have any suggestions to get that echoey old timey sound microphone?  Thanks ya'll

thebigbang

If you want the authentic sound, it would help if you used the silos and barn pictured below. And the Above the Cadillac Studio.

Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

el_chode

I wish there'd be a MMJ book like Wilco did where they explain some of the "how" of making the music. There's a part in the Wilco Book that just shows a room full of mics that they use.
I'm surrounded by assholes

zissou24

yeah I think that would help lol.  Anyways maybe a good ribbon mic and some reverb added could sound good?

bold99

Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

TheKnoxvilleBear

I was really interested when they were talking about the different rooms,silos,garages,etc they used for recording. I actually tried recording some stuff in my bathroom and it didn't sound too bad. Vocals can sounds amazing in there