Look At You - Obama

Started by DaFunkyPrecedent, Feb 02, 2009, 05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaFunkyPrecedent

At first I thought this song was all about God.  Then I realized, that this is Jim's song to our President, Mr. Obama.  So it kinda is about God I guess...

I hope someone didn't already post something about this...

But yeah, listen to it again...it now means so much more to me.  
God damn those shaky knees.

xmascriminal

It wasn't originally about Obama, but it is now.

Nikkogino

QuoteAt first I thought this song was all about God.  Then I realized, that this is Jim's song to our President, Mr. Obama.  So it kinda is about God I guess...

No offense, but worst thread ever.  Someone already mentioned this after the election.  It was dumb then, and its dumb now.  If you subscribe to the cult view of Barack Obama, then yeah, play this song while you are fantasizing about him, but let it be a sweet love song to or an ode to God for the rest of us.

aMillionDreams

QuoteAt first I thought this song was all about God.  Then I realized, that this is Jim's song to our President, Mr. Obama.  So it kinda is about God I guess...

No offense, but worst thread ever.  Someone already mentioned this after the election.  It was dumb then, and its dumb now.  If you subscribe to the cult view of Barack Obama, then yeah, play this song while you are fantasizing about him, but let it be a sweet love song to or an ode to God for the rest of us.

worst thread ever? really?  

You think Look at You being about Barack is that far-fetched?  Jim obviously supports Barack, as witnessed by the fundraisers he played (or was going to play) in his honor.  I linked an article that quotes Jim, saying "I was very moved by Mr. Obama's words, very moved."

Is that and all the lyrics about being a good citizen and leader just a coincidence?

I agree that people can find their own interpretations to songs, but if you really believe that, why does this guy's interpretation anger you so badly?  Even if it is just a coincidence and Look at You really isn't about Barack, it is at least a reasonable interpretation of the lyrics and one that doesn't deserve ridicule.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2620&u_sid=10253594
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Penny Lane

Obama? REALLY?? lol..i thought that song was about me. This sucks. Happy Monday to me.

(but really, i could see jim getting inspired by BHO--well not so much him but the IDEA of him, nothing wrong w/that)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

BH

I always thought (and this is just my opinion) that it was a about Bush.  And it was sarcasm, like "Look at you, such a fine example".  It seemed sarcastic to me.   Plus, we know that originally, it's probably not about Obama since it was written sometime prior to June of '08.  Although I definately could be wrong about that.   I think it has become a non sarcastic song about Obama.  With what Jim said in the interview on Triple J radio, I think it kind of backs up my theory a bit, but definately does not prove it.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

No offense, but worst post ever.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

el_chode

QuoteI always thought (and this is just my opinion) that it was a about Bush.  And it was sarcasm, like "Look at you, such a fine example".  It seemed sarcastic to me.   Plus, we know that originally, it's probably not about Obama since it was written sometime prior to June of '08.  Although I definately could be wrong about that.   I think it has become a non sarcastic song about Obama.  With what Jim said in the interview on Triple J radio, I think it kind of backs up my theory a bit, but definately does not prove it.

I always thought Gideon was about Bush and his raping of culture and religion to further his own goals.

Still, though I am, and always have been sick of the hero-worship of the O-man, blind hatred of something is just as ignorant as the blind allegiance.

Even if the song is about him, the beauty of it is that it's ambiguous and you can let it mean what you want it to mean. So, Penny, it's still about you. And it's still about Bush and it's still about Obama.

The only shitty political songs are the ones that are personal attacks on the person and wind up being dated within a month. That's why Dylan and Neil Young persist and the Dixie Chicks and Kanye are laughed at.
I'm surrounded by assholes

My Monkey Friend

This makes me sick. Can we let Obama do something before we totally felate him? I understand the change thing, and it is pretty sweet, but this cultish mentality is a little unnerving.  

Since we are throwing out crap about what look at you means, i guess i will play. I think look at you is talking about Bush's tranformation back into a regular citizen. You know, having bbq's, leading a homeowners association etc. I believe in his power to lead us to recycle pickups more than 2 times a month.

This is a music thread, right?

ycartrob

QuoteThis makes me sick. Can we let Obama do something before we totally felate him?  
you have to earn fellatio? Hhhmmmmmmm...  ::)

Love Dogg

"Let me follow...let me follow you..."  

Whether or not Jim wrote it for Obama is moot.  It is about Obama now.  Not only because of the reasons aMD noted, but because two of the five shows I went to this year (Louisville and NYE) Jim mentioned how important the year is for voting and "We got a new president!" respectively before playing Look At You.

The song would have been about George W. Bush if he would have become Commissioner of Major League Baseball instead of President of the United States.  Think about how wonderful our world would've been if that had happened.  ;)

Holla!
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

BH

Quote"Let me follow...let me follow you..."  

Whether or not Jim wrote it for Obama is moot.  It is about Obama now.  Not only because of the reasons aMD noted, but because two of the five shows I went to this year (Louisville and NYE) Jim mentioned how important the year is for voting and "We got a new president!" respectively before playing Look At You.

The song would have been about George W. Bush if he would have become Commissioner of Major League Baseball instead of President of the United States.  Think about how wonderful our world would've been if that had happened.  ;)

Holla!

You make good points.  Jim doesn't get political very often, but when he does, it's almost always followed by Gideon or Look at You.

Nikkogino

It's cool if that is what you think its about...I just don't think Jim wrote a song about a person who hadn't even declared his candidacy when the song was written.  And to proclaim that the song is about Obama is just stupid.  The guy has been president for a week, hasn't really accomplished much in his minimal time in Senate, and has 4 very difficult years ahead of him in which time he could fail.  Point is, why would a song be written about a person who hasn't done anything?  How has he proven himself as a find citizen?  How is a he a glowing example of peace and glory?  He is a good guy who has a good vision for his country...that's it.  So until Jim comes out and says "this song is about Obama" I wouldn't post a thread about it.  Again, it's cool that you have given meaning to the song, but don't ruin it for the rest of us.
Sorry about getting political....I want Obama to succeed but let's give the guy some time to actually DO SOMETHING before we proclaim him to be the equivalent of Jesus.  I do realize that some people have elevated him to God status, and those people get pissy when anyone shows any kind of "wait and see" attitude, but come on people.

xmascriminal

Different songs mean different things to different people. And the meaning of a song can change over time. Just because Jim didn't write Look at You originally about Obama doesn't mean it isn't dedicated to him now. If you hear a song and you recognize something in it, it is yours alone to keep as a reminder or a message or a life lesson. Gideon makes me happy, even though it is one of Jim's angriest songs. And I have the right to feel happy. Just as I have the right to hear happiness and hope in Gideon instead of desperation, DaFunkyPrecedent has the right to hear Obama in Look at You. As for what's in Jim's head, what makes you think you know better than anyone else? There's no way to know for sure. So you, with no proof at all, saying someone is "stupid" and completely wrong is absurd. You asshole.

ycartrob

QuoteIf you hear a song and you recognize something in it, it is yours alone to keep as a reminder or a message or a life lesson.

like when the Reagan people (and conservative talk radio hosts) adopted the great Springsteen protest song Born in in the USA as an anthem of conservatism rather than about the dishonorable way the veterans were treated after they returned from Vietnam (which is what it's about)?

like that?

I disagree

xmascriminal

QuoteIf you hear a song and you recognize something in it, it is yours alone to keep as a reminder or a message or a life lesson.

like when the Reagan people (and conservative talk radio hosts) adopted the great Springsteen protest song Born in in the USA as an anthem of conservatism rather than about the dishonorable way the veterans were treated after they returned from Vietnam (which is what it's about)?

like that?

I disagree

If that's what Born in the USA means to you, you have every right to think that. That being said, Bruce can tell you "please don't use my song that way".

Dudley

Can't I go one day without hearing about this guy?? It's one thing to watch a news channel and see our new American Idol but, come on guys.. Jim wrote that song before summer.. It could be about Hillary for all we know... I just really don't like seeing politics mixed in with my favorite band.. I know I listen to that song a lot less becase of this forum.. Just let us have our own opinions...

xmascriminal

QuoteCan't I go one day without hearing about this guy??

HE'S THE PRESIDENT. How many days out of the year did you go without hearing about Bush? And that final sentence is spot on. Everybody should just have their own opinions and we should leave it at that.

aMillionDreams

QuoteIt's cool if that is what you think its about...I just don't think Jim wrote a song about a person who hadn't even declared his candidacy when the song was written.  And to proclaim that the song is about Obama is just stupid.  The guy has been president for a week, hasn't really accomplished much in his minimal time in Senate, and has 4 very difficult years ahead of him in which time he could fail.  Point is, why would a song be written about a person who hasn't done anything?  How has he proven himself as a find citizen?  How is a he a glowing example of peace and glory?  He is a good guy who has a good vision for his country...that's it.  So until Jim comes out and says "this song is about Obama" I wouldn't post a thread about it.  Again, it's cool that you have given meaning to the song, but don't ruin it for the rest of us.
Sorry about getting political....I want Obama to succeed but let's give the guy some time to actually DO SOMETHING before we proclaim him to be the equivalent of Jesus.  I do realize that some people have elevated him to God status, and those people get pissy when anyone shows any kind of "wait and see" attitude, but come on people.

Again, I don't think it's "stupid" to say the song is about Obama.  I agree with what most people have said, the song wasn't originally written for Obama but gained a new meaning during the election season, not only for some fans for perhaps for Jim himself.  We know he likes Obama and that he has talked about the importance of voting at shows and then busted in Look at You.  

However, you choose to ignore these facts and go into a rant about how Obama hasn't done anything yet.  I'm not sure what you're point is, but I think you need to settle down, enjoy the music, and begin to realize that people who think differently than you aren't necessarily stupid.  

aMillionDreams

QuoteCan't I go one day without hearing about this guy?? It's one thing to watch a news channel and see our new American Idol but, come on guys.. Jim wrote that song before summer.. It could be about Hillary for all we know... I just really don't like seeing politics mixed in with my favorite band.. I know I listen to that song a lot less becase of this forum.. Just let us have our own opinions...

You'd rather not know what the leader of our country is doing during one of the most important times in our country's history?  Wow, you must be a Bush supporter!