Yim Yames...A Tribute to

Started by dkessler175, Jun 24, 2009, 12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the sun and moon

lucky! i just noticed that.

so so so excited! I can feel the blood rushing through my body. I log in one day and suddenly I'm bombarded with all the goodies.

fleabag

Recorded in 2001?  wow.  I have All Things Must Pass on vinyl, and That was just an amazing.  Just blown away, and just what I needed today.

Thanks, Yim!

...words only got in the way

manicfanatic

Here's another article about the Ep and MOF.  It's also interesting to see the sales figures from Evil Urges and Z listed as well.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/jim-james-readies-george-harrison-covers-1003987164.story
"We're the heirs to the glimmering world"

rob

I didn't realize that "Behind That Locked Door" came out on a Bloodshot Records comp 4 years ago!

http://www.bloodshotrecords.com/album/decade-sin-11-years-bloodshot-records

Wonder if it's the same version? Must be.
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

aMillionDreams

QuoteI didn't realize that "Behind That Locked Door" came out on a Bloodshot Records comp 4 years ago!

http://www.bloodshotrecords.com/album/decade-sin-11-years-bloodshot-records

Wonder if it's the same version? Must be.

Yep, same version.  Also released on:

Quote   "The Mother Lodge: A Tribute To The Rudyard Kipling, Volume 1"

Compilation of Louisville bands to benefit and honor the local venue The Rudyard Kipling a.k.a. The Mother Lodge.

Including the exclusive track "Behind That Locked Door" (George Harrison cover)
   Jim James- vocals and guitar
   Reverb by Johnny Quaid, Two Tone Tommy, Danny Cash, Patrick Hallahan

Also with tracks from Activated Peat, Alan Rhody, Birdwing, Cooler, Dan Gediman, danny flannigan and Rain Chorus, Digby, Domani, Four Banger, Instant Camera, Janitors Of The Apocalypse, Java Men, Jeff Smith, Joe Hanna, King Kong, Love Jones, Monkey Boy, Monorail, Mr. Panic Button, Peter Searcy, Pointy Kitties, Red-Taled Hawk, Sean Garrison and The Five Finger Discount, Second Story Man, Serpent Wisdom, Speed To Roam, Storefront Congregation, Suki, Super Villains, The Belgian Waffles!, The Crowns, The Pennies, The Middle Men, The Flying Carpets, The Glasspack, Tomacco, Tyrone Cotton, and Paul Curry.

Only available in Louisville at the venue and at ear X-tacy Records (shipping only to US, Canada, and Mexico).

"Behind That Locked Door" has been rereleased on October 25, 2005 on the Bloodshot Records 11th anniversary compilation 2CD "For A Decade of Sin: 11 Years of Bloodshot Records" (see below for more details).

Also note that My Morning Jacket recorded an entire album of George Harrison covers, around 2000/2001.
   Due to legal problems the above track is the only released track so far from this album.
   The supposed tracklist was going to be:

1. Behind That Locked Door
      2. Long, Long, Long
      3. If Not For You
      4. Love You To
      5. My Sweet Lord
      6. Let It Roll
      7. All Things Must Pass

Info from http://www.gerpotze.com/mymorningjacket/various.html
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

rob

If Not For You wouldn't make sense on a Harrison tribute when Dylan wrote it....

rob

BTLD is beautiful. Just downloaded it. Can't wait to hear the rest of the EP!

rob

QuoteIf Not For You wouldn't make sense on a Harrison tribute when Dylan wrote it....

George Harrison does a cover of it on his All Things Must Pass album, Jim's version is closer to George's version, and from the same recording sessions.  My guess is it's not on there for legal/royalty issues.

Yes, I did know George covered it. How have you heard Jim's version?

Bigsky

So nice...I was just thinking when something new was going to come out. Thank you Yim Yames.

Does anyone think these songs will be played by MMJ at future shows? or maybe just Yim Yames solo gigs?

Ruckus

Quotetotally canceling my musicdirect purchase and buying from that site- you think there willbe a preorder up soon?

on july 7 there will be a digital download + pre-order cd/lp

Lp gonna come with cd?

Any answer to this yet?

The site makes it sound like one or the other but rather vague
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

rob

QuoteIf Not For You wouldn't make sense on a Harrison tribute when Dylan wrote it....

George Harrison does a cover of it on his All Things Must Pass album, Jim's version is closer to George's version, and from the same recording sessions.  My guess is it's not on there for legal/royalty issues.

Yes, I have it.  As I said earlier I will make available for download here so long as someone from the MMJ team doesn't ask me not to before the release date.

Ooh, an insider.......I love it! Awesome. Thanks.

capt. scotty

QuoteFULL LENGTH SOLO RECORD COMING SOON

I think we may have found Wonderful (The Way I Feel) and a self produced album with that old MMJ style.   I can't take all of this at once.  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

So wait...I took this to mean the George Harrison record.  You think there's going to be an entirely different Jim solo record, too?

If so...

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Since they're calling the Harrison one an EP on the site, I'm taking that to mean it's a wholly different album.

I cant believe it will be SOON though?!  :o

....does that mean no MMJ for even longer?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

QuoteHere's another article about the Ep and MOF.  It's also interesting to see the sales figures from Evil Urges and Z listed as well.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/jim-james-readies-george-harrison-covers-1003987164.story

Surprised to see Z has sold 49,000 more copies than EU....Interesting
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

the_wizzard

Yes, I have it.  As I said earlier I will make available for download here so long as someone from the MMJ team doesn't ask me not to before the release date.
Thanks aMD!  Very nice of you to do!

el_chode

QuoteHere's another article about the Ep and MOF.  It's also interesting to see the sales figures from Evil Urges and Z listed as well.

Surprised to see Z has sold 49,000 more copies than EU....Interesting

I'm not, but I am curious as to the difference between Z sales, EU sales, and sales for I'm Amazed as a single.

I think Z did wonders in turning people onto the band. Most people I know that like good music generally but had not heard enough MMJ to get into the band were sold after one spin of Z; in some cases all it took was Off the Record.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Jbones72

YY should do a series of tribute ep's! Gram Parsons and Curtis Mayfield come to mind! Can't wait to get this!!

CC

Quotetotally canceling my musicdirect purchase and buying from that site- you think there willbe a preorder up soon?

on july 7 there will be a digital download + pre-order cd/lp

Lp gonna come with cd?

Any answer to this yet?

The site makes it sound like one or the other but rather vague

if you order from yimyames.com the lp will come with cd + download.
there will be more details up july 7.

ChiefOKONO

what a great day to be a fan, i am loving it!!!

xmascriminal

Finally! I thought this would never come out.  :)

BuyOrangeRacket

To be yeleased on my yirfday of all days! This is so yool!
Charter member of the Fucking Awesome Weirdos Association of Northern California.