Preservation Hall Jazz Band Recordings!!!!!!!

Started by Bermuda_Hitchhiker, Apr 01, 2009, 02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

Did you guys see this on the front page!   Unbelievable.  I swear Jim is the coolest cat in all of the universe.

yim yames recently had the honor of traveling to new orleans to record live with the legendary preservation hall jazz band in grand old school new orleans fashion. the recordings will be part of a benefit album to raise money for the hall (www.preservationhall.com) which hopefully will be released in the fall. stay tuned for more info.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

sweatboard

OH CRAP, I can't friggin wait to hear Jim SCAT!!!!
There's Still Time.........

evilPaauwe

that photo on the front page is excellent!
cheers.

rob

Quotethat photo on the front page is excellent!

Jim looks totally awesome in that pic! What a cool cat.

is it getting hot in here?.....somebody fan me.....
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

st. john

still breathin is he? from scruff to gent to dandy, kinda like a cannuk  accountant. ;D

beard is perfect now.
THANK YOU SUN AND MOON  - guess you got word to the boy.

HELP. SOMEONE PLS TELL ME WHO IS THE GUY / crush for the day /WITH THE HAIR AND GREAT SMILE.

name any women who are as   8-)  and smooth as these old guys?

weeniebeenie

How loud can silence get?

lasvegas

such awesome news.

hmm, preservation hall jazz band is playing here in the city tonight at the blue note...and jim james lives here in the city.

i think this show just became a must instead of just a maybe.
Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

Penny Lane

Quotesuch awesome news.

hmm, preservation hall jazz band is playing here in the city tonight at the blue note...and jim james lives here in the city.

i think this show just became a must instead of just a maybe.

if only i could skip my classes tonight. i would LOVE to see this. i'm sure JJ will be there.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

MickeyReds

As long as you keep a straight face...

capt. scotty

The only problem I have with them announcing this now is because its only barely April and theyre saying that maybe this will come out in the fall. If it might come out in the fall, let me know in August. I dont want 6 months of anticipation agonizing me  >:(

On another note, SWEEEETNESSSS
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

xmascriminal

This sounds REALLY awesome. I thought I didn't have any more albums to look forward to this year.  8-)

Bigsky

I love that the boys keep feeding us music...even if it's a "maybe." I'll take it. I also think JJ has one of the most generous souls; he's always trying to help people out.

jones

NoVa_NoLa

Very cool...hopefully, he'll play a couple of nights at Pres. Hall during Jazz Fest.   ;)   I'll be down there in a little less than 3 weeks and will scope for details. :)

getinthevan

I was so pleasantly surprised to read that this happened!  My Mom has been a follower of PHJB for years.  For 10 years I've been going to see them with her.  Last summer I took her to see MMJ and now those two worlds have come together.  A show or two of some sort would be AWESOME!  
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

Sassbox

QuoteVery cool...hopefully, he'll play a couple of nights at Pres. Hall during Jazz Fest.   ;)   I'll be down there in a little less than 3 weeks and will scope for details. :)

!!!

Keep me posted, scoper!
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

capt. scotty

BUMP

Any updates on this??

I was just looking for info over at PHJB's website and found nada.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ALady

I was hoping to see him with Preservation Hall at ACL this weekend   ;D  Oh well.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

NoVa_NoLa

Looks like it will be released on Mardi Gras Day!

http://www.twentyfourbit.com/post/248586196/tom-waits-jim-james-pete-seeger-more-on

Tom Waits, Jim James, Pete Seeger & More on Preservation Hall Benefit Comp

As previously reported, Tom Waits was in New Orleans, LA recently recording a benefit track for and with the legendary Preservation Hall Jazz Band, as well as a song for the next volume of Anti's sea shanty series. Well, now we have the former track's name, a stellar list of collaborators for the upcoming album, and a not so surprising release date.

According to PR Newswire, Waits collaborated on the song "Tootie Ma Is a Big Fine Thing", the earliest known recorded Mardi Gras song (abstract version from MMW and John Scofield here), for Preservation, a benefit album due out on Feb. 16 of next year, aka Fat Tuesday.

That would've been enough for a minor news update on the project, but check out some of the other artists contributing to the album:

Andrew Bird, Terence Blanchard, Pete Seeger, Dr. John, Blind Boys of Alabama, Brandi Carlile, Cory Chisel, Ani DiFranco, Steve Earle, Merle Haggard, Richie Havens, Jason Isbell, Jim James, Angelique Kidjo, Amy LaVere, Anita Briem, Del McCoury, Bobby McFerrin, Buddy Miller, Paolo Nutini.

Sure, we're thrilled about Bird and James, as they've been hanging out in our feed of late, but Dr. John, Pete Seeger, and the legendary Merle freakin' Haggard too? Now that's exciting. Okay, we're definitely ready for '10 now...

ALady

Nice find, NoVa!  Can't wait for this one!   :)
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires