MMJ on New Bridge School Compilation

Started by tragicallyphish, Nov 23, 2009, 07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tragicallyphish

Sorry if this was posted elsewhere, did a quick search and didn't find anything.
http://www.chartattack.com/news/77081/bridge-school-compilation-features-tegan-and-sara-death-cab-trent-reznor-my-morning-jacke

Tegan And Sara, Death Cab For Cutie, John Mayer, Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor and My Morning Jacket are among the artists included on The Bridge School Collection, Vol. 4.

The compilation is out Tuesday (Nov. 24) through iTunes and includes live performances recorded throughout the years at Neil Young's annual Bridge School Benefit. All proceeds will be donated to the Bridge School, which helps children with severe physical disabilities and communications needs.

Performers at this year's Bridge School Benefit included Young, Coldplay's Chris Martin, No Doubt, Fleet Foxes, Wolfmother, Gavin Rossdale, Monsters Of Folk, Jimmy Buffett, Sheryl Crow and Adam Sandler.

Here are the artists and songs (with date of live recordings in parentheses) on The Bridge School Collection, Vol. 4:

Ministry — "Here They Come" (Nov. 2, 1994)
Ministry — "Paisley" (Nov. 2, 1994)
John Mellencamp — "Jackie Brown" (Oct. 29, 2005)
Jerry Lee Lewis — "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" (Oct. 30, 2005)
Trent Reznor — "Fragile" (Oct. 22, 2006)
Trent Reznor — "Hurt" (Oct. 22, 2006)
John Mayer — "Heart Of Life" (Oct. 27, 2007)
John Mayer — "Waiting On The World" (Oct. 27, 2007)
Regina Spektor — "Ain't No Cover" (Oct. 27, 2007)
My Morning Jacket — "Gideon" (Oct. 28, 2007)
My Morning Jacket — "Just One Thing" (Oct. 28, 2007)
Tegan And Sara — "Dark Come Soon" (Oct. 28, 2007)
Tegan And Sara — "Like Oh, Like H" (Oct. 28, 2007)
Tom Waits & Kronos Quartet — "What Keeps Mankind Alive" (Oct. 28, 2007)
Tom Waits & Kronos Quartet — "The Part You Threw Away" (Oct. 28, 2007)
Band Of Horses — "Marry Song" (Oct. 25, 2008)
Band Of Horses — "The General Specific" (Oct. 25, 2008)
Norah Jones — "Jesus Don't Cry" (Oct. 25, 2008)
Death Cab For Cutie — "Cath" (Oct. 25, 2008)
Death Cab For Cutie — "I Will Possess Your Heart" (Oct. 25, 2008)
Josh Groban — "Changing Colors" (Oct. 26, 2008)
Josh Groban with Neil Young — "Harvest Moon" (Oct. 26, 2008)

BH

Kick ass!   A great cause and a nice diverse group of tunes as well!  Can't wait to hear the Ministry.  I listened to Land of Rape and Honey the other day while riding my mountain bike and I think I almost caused my heart to explode.  
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

buymycar

Shoot!  I thought I had the scoop on this and was all excited to post it.  You only beat me by eight hours...lol.

So happy they decided to include Gideon and Just One Thing.  Two stellar versions of two stellar songs.  I was at the show and it's great to relive MMJ's awesome performance, even if it's just the two songs.

Also highly recommended are the two Trent Reznor (NIN Unplugged...If you can imagine that) tracks and the Tom Waits/Kronos Quartet tracks...they stole the show in '07 (along with MMJ, of course...;-).

tragicallyphish

I was at the Trent Reznor performance and even though I'm not a huge NIN fan it was amazing.
His day 2 set I actually got to watch from backstage which was really cool.
So much fun MMJ stuff lately - the Preservation Jazz Hall compilation, Bridge School, American Dad (can't wait for the iTunes EP) and apparently they have started work on their 6th album too.
http://www.tourdates.co.uk/news/15376-my-morning-jacket-recording-6th-album

ms. yvon

terrific!  was kind of hoping for the acoustic "one big holiday."  i'd love to hear that again!  man, what a great weekend that was.

snarky nora jones comment:  the song here is not, "jesus don't cry" but a cover of wilco's "jesus, etc."
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

buymycar

Quoteterrific!  was kind of hoping for the acoustic "one big holiday."  i'd love to hear that again!  man, what a great weekend that was.

snarky nora jones comment:  the song here is not, "jesus don't cry" but a cover of wilco's "jesus, etc."

Seconded on the One Big Holiday...such an awesome performance of that song.

The Norah Jones cover of Jesus, Etc. is labeled right on the iTunes store and the Bridge School website....not sure where this article got the title from.