My Morning Jacket (the album)

Started by dookie shoot bandit, Sep 07, 2021, 11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobRoy286

Quote from: Lucius on Nov 12, 2021, 04:21 AM
Quote from: sillyboob on Nov 10, 2021, 06:02 PM
Quote from: Lucius on Nov 10, 2021, 04:42 PMAre there any recordings of Only Memories out there where the crowd doesn't talk through it? Such a pretty song and I love the way it builds up live but I've never managed to find a taping where I'm not sitting there thinking "shut up shut up SHUT UP" about the crowd  :undecided:  :grin:

I'd track down these versions to start:
2015 KCRW The Waterfall show
2015 Masonic Auditorium, San Francisco Night 2
2015 One Big Holiday Night 3  (my personal favorite)
2016 Austin City Limits
2017 One Big Holiday Night 3
2018 One Big Holiday Night 3

I do not recommend the 2015 Red Rocks version.  It was sandwiched into Steam Engine, and you really miss out on getting the real OMR experience.

That Steam > Only Memories > Steam if it's the same one I remember was a painful listen. What was shaping up to potentially be an all time great Steam ruined by a few minutes of the crowd talking through OMR right in the middle of it :cry: why do people feel the need to have full blown conversations at concerts? It really infuriates me! :angry: That San Fran version is great though. Why didn't they think to build the song up like that in the studio?

Back over in "Self Titled" land. I was with a friend recently and during a Spotify Shuffle 'Love Love Love' came on and the friend LOVED it. Have also witnessed a couple of celebs I follow on Twitter post it. She's got appeal that one!
That Steam/Memories/Steam/Phone run is one of my favorite recordings ever! Different strokes I guess.

MMJTX

That 2015 Red Rocks show was my first time at Red Rocks, in the moment i remember kind of being bummed they stuck it in there during my first Steam Engine as well. but now i love it and listen to it often.
Anytime

Lucius

I love the idea of it but it's the crowd talking throughout the OMR segment that bums me out. Stuff like that really grates on me. If they've done it more than once there's every chance I'm talking about a taping from another night though!
it wouldn't be a party without you

sillyboob

Quote from: MMJTX on Nov 12, 2021, 10:09 AMThat 2015 Red Rocks show was my first time at Red Rocks, in the moment i remember kind of being bummed they stuck it in there during my first Steam Engine as well. but now i love it and listen to it often.

That was my first Red Rocks as well.  I too was (and still am) bummed about the shortened version of Only Memories Remain, especially after the stellar spaced out version at One Big Holiday.  I even split the song into two separate files, with the truncated OMR first, then I combined the two Steam parts into one track as the next song.  I'm weird, what can I say.

All that being said, what an epic first Red Rocks show!  Was absolutely exhausted after flying in from LA that day, then the epic 28 song set.  Caught Alabama Shakes with the Drive-by Truckers two nights later.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

MMJTX

Quote from: sillyboob on Nov 12, 2021, 04:57 PM
Quote from: MMJTX on Nov 12, 2021, 10:09 AMThat 2015 Red Rocks show was my first time at Red Rocks, in the moment i remember kind of being bummed they stuck it in there during my first Steam Engine as well. but now i love it and listen to it often.

That was my first Red Rocks as well.  I too was (and still am) bummed about the shortened version of Only Memories Remain, especially after the stellar spaced out version at One Big Holiday.  I even split the song into two separate files, with the truncated OMR first, then I combined the two Steam parts into one track as the next song.  I'm weird, what can I say.

All that being said, what an epic first Red Rocks show!  Was absolutely exhausted after flying in from LA that day, then the epic 28 song set.  Caught Alabama Shakes with the Drive-by Truckers two nights later.

Haha that's awesome! Ya me and a buddy decided last minute to go, flew up the day of the show from Houston and caught the red-eye back home after the show, was awesome, we had a blast.
Anytime

MMJCOBRA

Quote from: C.S. on Nov 04, 2021, 05:48 PMIt's really blowing my mind that there isn't more gushing over this one. 10/10 album of the year for me.

I'm gush gush gushing from B'ham. I absolutely love it.  I believe it's a classic My Morning Jacket album that occupies a somewhat unique place in their catalog.  I keep describing this album as MMJ at their most organic. It just feels so loose, natural and yet very cohesive as a whole!!!

Hatfield

Quote from: Robert Cannon on Nov 14, 2021, 02:13 PM
Quote from: C.S. on Nov 04, 2021, 05:48 PMIt's really blowing my mind that there isn't more gushing over this one. 10/10 album of the year for me.

I'm gush gush gushing from B'ham. I absolutely love it.  I believe it's a classic My Morning Jacket album that occupies a somewhat unique place in their catalog.  I keep describing this album as MMJ at their most organic. It just feels so loose, natural and yet very cohesive as a whole!!!

Put me in the gushing category.  I'm even coming around on Lucky to Be Alive.  I had a huge moment with that song while running on the trail yesterday (really some amazing moments with most of the album), but the sentiment in Lucky to Be Alive hit me for the first time. 

There is so much more to this record that I want to dive into and dissect, but the main feeling now is how incredible it SOUNDS.  Their best produced record.

MMJCOBRA

Quote from: Hatfield on Nov 15, 2021, 02:07 PM
Quote from: Robert Cannon on Nov 14, 2021, 02:13 PM

Put me in the gushing category.  I'm even coming around on Lucky to Be Alive.  I had a huge moment with that song while running on the trail yesterday (really some amazing moments with most of the album), but the sentiment in Lucky to Be Alive hit me for the first time. 

There is so much more to this record that I want to dive into and dissect, but the main feeling now is how incredible it SOUNDS.  Their best produced record.

Totally agree about the great production.

This song finally clicked for me in Chicago!!!

https://archive.org/details/mmj2021-11-06.leary/mmj2021-11-06.vwmule.t03.flac

Lucius

I didn't want to like Lucky to Be Alive but it wore me down. Quite often atm I'm finding myself wandering around singing "lucky, luuuuuccckkkkkeeeeeehhhh, lucky to be alive" in my head, sometimes out loud :grin:

Bottom of my list currently is Complex. I still like it, not a bad song, just not a standout to me. Maybe it'll hit me live. Whenever that might be :tongue:

Nikkogino

Quote from: Lucius on Nov 17, 2021, 10:18 AMI didn't want to like Lucky to Be Alive but it wore me down. Quite often atm I'm finding myself wandering around singing "lucky, luuuuuccckkkkkeeeeeehhhh, lucky to be alive" in my head, sometimes out loud :grin:

Bottom of my list currently is Complex. I still like it, not a bad song, just not a standout to me. Maybe it'll hit me live. Whenever that might be :tongue:
My very young kids love it.  Worried they will go to school and say "I'm lucky to be alive."

shumatec1012

After about a month of listening if I only have time in the car for 3 songs they're likely to be:

" In Color" " Never in the Real World" and " Out of Range"

The album is a masterpiece in their catalogue- I still think the most representative of their live sound of any of their studio efforts. 

" Complex" is really growing on me- I would have ranked this towards the bottom a month ago, but goddamn it gets in my head a lot- and might be the most " radio" friendly of the album iMO.

sillyboob

Quote from: shumatec1012 on Nov 30, 2021, 09:40 PM" Complex" is really growing on me- I would have ranked this towards the bottom a month ago, but goddamn it gets in my head a lot- and might be the most " radio" friendly of the album iMO.

I was really good live too.  A cool black & white alternating light thing, it was kinda mesmerizing, at least it was from the cheap seats in the balcony in NOLA.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Lucius

Happy first Birthday to "Self Titled" !!

What are our thoughts one year on?

The main thing for me - is that some of these songs (Especially Least Expected & Love Love Love) have grown into really great live moments ~ not that I've had the pleasure of hearing them in person yet ~ and the band sound they've been having a blast on stage this 'era'. So it's a thumbs up from me. Even though they skipped touring this side of the world.

What about you guys, Has it grown on you, has it shrunk on you?

Nikkogino

Quote from: Lucius on Oct 22, 2022, 08:18 AMHappy first Birthday to "Self Titled" !!

What are our thoughts one year on?

The main thing for me - is that some of these songs (Especially Least Expected & Love Love Love) have grown into really great live moments ~ not that I've had the pleasure of hearing them in person yet ~ and the band sound they've been having a blast on stage this 'era'. So it's a thumbs up from me. Even though they skipped touring this side of the world.

What about you guys, Has it grown on you, has it shrunk on you?
I agree that some of the songs slay live.  Loved hearing Least Expected on tour, and there are a handful of others I love.  With that said, it is tied with Circuital as my least favorite album.

RobRoy286

Love the album as much as I did day 1. As someone said earlier it's just so organic. Love that they kept some jams and solos on the songs, as the previous albums felt a little neutered in that regard.

Favorites:
Out of Range
Real World
RSP

Nikkogino

Quote from: RobRoy286 on Oct 22, 2022, 09:14 AMLove the album as much as I did day 1. As someone said earlier it's just so organic. Love that they kept some jams and solos on the songs, as the previous albums felt a little neutered in that regard.

Favorites:
Out of Range
Real World
RSP
I definitely agree with this point.  I do like how they leave the jams in, versus stripping them in the studio.  It definitely helps certain songs go from good to great (Real World, Lucky, In Color).  My problem is, with the exception of maybe Out of Range, there is something missing that I can't put my finger on.  I also think the album could have benefitted from losing 1 or 2 tracks...I know, it'd only be 9-10 tracks, but I think it would be more focused.  This is my same criticism of Evil Urges. 

Lonndown27

The record is intriguing because it delivers at times with the "live feel" and then at others completely abandons that for some of their most synthetic sounds since Evil Urges, but that album had 90% masterful songwriting, only Librarian and Two Halves really suck.

But MMJ as an album was disappointing to me because I'm waiting for the band to really get heavy on record again, not just a dash of guitar but a great dark epic.

The song In Color for instance..."I wish we would all agree" on peace and love or anti racism like Jim, of course we agree. I love the song but the platitudes ring empty when it becomes sloganism instead of writing about unspoken feelings and capturing that vibe with great music behind it.

In color is one of the best on the album, alongside Never In the Real World, Penny for your thoughts (a masterpiece), Least expected, I could never get enough (a song that could've taken us on a ride but never gets out of neutral).

Misses are Lucky despite its epic jam which should've just been its own song, Complex, love love love, Jim as a hippyhipster Joel Osteen in a Michael Jackson grunt voice...weird.

I really like Out of Range and Least Expected but once again, too mellow. No rock and roll.

RSP is alright.

Devils in the details....man I love it, I am disappointed by it and I worship its mystery all at the same time I find it corny as all hell and the lyrics a little ridiculous at the moment he's trying to make points about our eroding culture.

Jim can do better as a songwriter. I don't expect him to write melancholic songs like he did in their heyday again, I get they're older and in a new direction and luckily dont repeat these sounds.

Still, I sometimes feel MMJ could've been a serious monster and instead is too mellow.
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

sweatboard

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Nov 17, 2022, 03:37 AMThe record is intriguing because it delivers at times with the "live feel" and then at others completely abandons that for some of their most synthetic sounds since Evil Urges, but that album had 90% masterful songwriting, only Librarian and Two Halves really suck.

But MMJ as an album was disappointing to me because I'm waiting for the band to really get heavy on record again, not just a dash of guitar but a great dark epic.

The song In Color for instance..."I wish we would all agree" on peace and love or anti racism like Jim, of course we agree. I love the song but the platitudes ring empty when it becomes sloganism instead of writing about unspoken feelings and capturing that vibe with great music behind it.

In color is one of the best on the album, alongside Never In the Real World, Penny for your thoughts (a masterpiece), Least expected, I could never get enough (a song that could've taken us on a ride but never gets out of neutral).

Misses are Lucky despite its epic jam which should've just been its own song, Complex, love love love, Jim as a hippyhipster Joel Osteen in a Michael Jackson grunt voice...weird.

I really like Out of Range and Least Expected but once again, too mellow. No rock and roll.

RSP is alright.

Devils in the details....man I love it, I am disappointed by it and I worship its mystery all at the same time I find it corny as all hell and the lyrics a little ridiculous at the moment he's trying to make points about our eroding culture.

Jim can do better as a songwriter. I don't expect him to write melancholic songs like he did in their heyday again, I get they're older and in a new direction and luckily dont repeat these sounds.

Still, I sometimes feel MMJ could've been a serious monster and instead is too mellow.

This is well thought out and well written. I enjoyed reading it. I agree with some things. Anyway, I would say S/T is my favorite album from the Bo & Carl er. I loved it on the first listen (smiled ear to ear the whole way through) Was driving home last night in the dark and it was hitting Hard.....so many peaks and valleys and jams and subtleties and visuals. Sprawling....Exciting....POSITIVE....LOVELY.....I FREAKING LOVE IT!! Very Favorites: In Color, NITRW, Penny, damn...all of them. I will say, I get a little confused about Least Expected, it seems like there are 2 completely different song ideas lyrically being presented together and I'm not sure if I'm missing a bigger picture. Thoughts?
There's Still Time.........