MONSTERS OF FOLK!!

Started by Shakeykneez, Jun 10, 2009, 11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AMightyCaporal

QuoteI listened to this record on the way to Charleston and on the way back this weekend.  It's so much better than I was even hoping for.  I'm actually really, really falling in love with Conor at this point.  I love his self titled album and his songs on here remind me of that record.  His lyrics on Dear God pretty much slay the song.  I love the idea of the song and don't get me wrong Jim and M. do a great job but then Conor........

Dear god, I wish that I could touch you
How strange sometimes I feel I almost do
And then I'm back behind the glass again
Oh god what keeps you out it keeps me in

He writes great lyrics, PERIOD

he is very much a poet- great song writer
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

capt. scotty

QuoteI listened to this record on the way to Charleston and on the way back this weekend.  It's so much better than I was even hoping for.  I'm actually really, really falling in love with Conor at this point.  I love his self titled album and his songs on here remind me of that record.  His lyrics on Dear God pretty much slay the song.  I love the idea of the song and don't get me wrong Jim and M. do a great job but then Conor........

Now some songs are pretty clear all the lyrics were written by one of them, but other songs I was unsure.

So did each of them write the lyrics they actually sing, no matter what song, or does it vary? Not sure...That was one thing I was hoping the liner notes gave credit for, but they didnt
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

BH

Now some songs are pretty clear all the lyrics were written by one of them, but other songs I was unsure.

So did each of them write the lyrics they actually sing, no matter what song, or does it vary? Not sure...That was one thing I was hoping the liner notes gave credit for, but they didnt

I read somewhere that they almost always wrote what they sang.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Penny Lane

i think you can tell who wrote which song... conor is very specific and vivid w/his lyrics, his images, his phrasing; i think you can also tell JJ songs, i don't think they collaborated too much on lyrics, i would think only if they were stuck in a spot?
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

BH

that's what I meant though, no matter who wrote the song, I got the impression that they wrote their own lyrics to the other guys songs.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Sparkle

Conor's lyrics have turned out to be my favourite on this album. I didn't really know much of his stuff before but I've picked up Lifted, Fevers & Mirrors, and I'm Wide Awake since MoF. Beautiful songwriting  :-*

Ghosts_on_TV

Conor's lyrics have turned out to be my favourite on this album. I didn't really know much of his stuff before but I've picked up Lifted, Fevers & Mirrors, and I'm Wide Awake since MoF. Beautiful songwriting  :-*

Good choices.  ;)
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

sweatboard

Yeah, I was really hoping that the vinyl liner notes would clear some stuff up but they don't.  I'm thinking they write their own stuff when they share verses, I'm just still wondering about Magick Marker, I have a feeling that's an Aaron song, I had that impression coming away from the Rud and it just doesn't exactly sound like Jim.  Great song though.

P.S.

Cape Canaveral - the way he says cake is awesome (randome thought)
There's Still Time.........

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteYeah, I was really hoping that the vinyl liner notes would clear some stuff up but they don't.  I'm thinking they write their own stuff when they share verses, I'm just still wondering about Magick Marker, I have a feeling that's an Aaron song, I had that impression coming away from the Rud and it just doesn't exactly sound like Jim.  Great song though.

P.S.

Do you have the Gentlemen's Pact EP?
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

DaFunkyPrecedent

his new solo album is "Grrrrrrrreat!" and also his album with the Mystic Vally Band (awesome name for a  band btw) is a real good hoot as well.  I've always loved Conor, but love him even more now in his more mature age.  I really felt like I grew up with him...it was kinda fun.
God damn those shaky knees.

Penny Lane

QuoteYeah, I was really hoping that the vinyl liner notes would clear some stuff up but they don't.  I'm thinking they write their own stuff when they share verses, I'm just still wondering about Magick Marker, I have a feeling that's an Aaron song, I had that impression coming away from the Rud and it just doesn't exactly sound like Jim.  Great song though.

P.S.

yes!

Sparkle

Good choices.  ;)

Yeah, it was based on reading recommendations on this board - so thanks  :)

sweatboard

Ordinary - gets better every time you hear it.

It's a feel good song, the same way At Dawn is.
There's Still Time.........

keyfur

little write up from today's sf chronicle.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/18/PK6319TTVJ.DTL

the monsters will be at bridge school.
awesome.
there are usually tapes of that weekend, so hopefully we get some monsters shows . . .
whoopee!

Penny Lane

has anyone seen the new article in rolling stone w/Madonna on the cover? triple mention! 1 page interview, 1 blip at the bottom about the George Harrison tribute, and in the review section "Buy These Now" a shout out to MOF.  :) :)

johnnYYac

I'm glad someone mentioned the thrice-mentioned YY/MoF/MMJ articles in RollingStone.  I was gonna post a link to the articles, but they're not available online.  Nor could I scan and post here (or maybe I could; I'm just lazy lately).  MoF is getting solid coverage and positive reviews left and right.  I'm getting very psyched for Boston on Nov. 3, though I just found out the wife might be in Albany all week.  What to do with the three kids?  Leave 'em in the car, the hotel, sneak 'em into the Orpheum under a trenchcoat?  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Penny Lane

BH

Can anyone figure out what Jim is saying at the very beginning of Losin' Your Head?  Or can we add it to the list of wordless vocals?

Love Dogg

Quotehttp://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/oct/18/rare-chance-see-group-s/?features&zIndex=184032

Great read.  It wasn't fakey or mushy...just respectable.  The last paragraph explains Jim's political awareness a little too.   ;)
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

xmascriminal

QuoteCan anyone figure out what Jim is saying at the very beginning of Losin' Your Head?  Or can we add it to the list of wordless vocals?

It's mostly wordless but I think for the last sound, he's saying "stop".