bands name mean to you?

Started by LET_THE_FETUS_ROCK, Dec 23, 2005, 09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LET_THE_FETUS_ROCK

I love the name of this band because I thinks it's imagery is open to many interpretations. I've checked the forums archive and I don't think this has been discussed by the fans.
WHat does the name My Morning Jacket mean to you?

For me my morning jacket connotes a new skin or life from the nights death.  Also the word morning could be thought of as mourning  the death of someone special and attending their funeral in your best attire.

I will be there when you die!

rob

It reminds me of being little.....and cool, crisp, fall or spring mornings.......and Mom telling me to wear my light (morning)jacket for the walk to school, and just carry it home in the afternoon, if it's warm enough......kinda touching, actually.  ::)

At Dawn is an especially great title for a band called My Morning Jacket.
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

Dee.

I always called those my spring jackets.  :)

MyLifeISought

The actual story (forget where i saw this) is that Jim James was walking down the street in louisville, and saw an abandoned jacket there, embroidered with the initials "MMJ". He started to try and think of things it might stand for and "my morning jacket" was one he came up with...
To be more philosophical, i have also always gotten the ethereal, misty cool fall morning feeling
"Music is my savior
I was tamed by rock and roll
I was maimed by rock and roll
Got my name from rock and roll"
-Wilco

Amunet

QuoteThe actual story (forget where i saw this) is that Jim James was walking down the street in louisville, and saw an abandoned jacket there, embroidered with the initials "MMJ". He started to try and think of things it might stand for and "my morning jacket" was one he came up with...

Bwahaahaahaa! Hysterical!!

aMillionDreams

it was in lexington actually, as lame as it is.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

DD

it reminds me of jims warm furry arms wrapped around me in the morning glow in the mist filled valley along the ohio river.  you better believe hes wearing the muppet pants and nothing else.
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails

peanut butter puddin surprise

Quoteit reminds me of jims warm furry arms wrapped around me in the morning glow in the mist filled valley along the ohio river.  you better believe hes wearing the muppet pants and nothing else.

that's an image!
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Caroline

I actually thought it was an ode to the T.S. Eliot poem, "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock."  It seems really farfetched, but a line of the semi-famous poem is "My morning coat, my collar mounting firmly to the chin."  I got the feeling that the band loved the poem as much as I did, but apparently not!  I guess I am just thinking about MMJ wayyy too much...

EC

Would you LOOK at that cinnamon roll??!!!  That is incredible.  Mmmm.  And the americano looks pretty hot, too.

QuoteAnd the americano looks pretty hot, too

which Americano?  ;)

EC

which Americano?  ;)

hahahaha!!!  All of them. :)

how about this americano?  ;)

wellfleet

did anyone ever think there's a super-dirty reason behind my morning jacket and because it's so dirty jim can't talk about it to the press?
i thought, what if it's about, umm, pleasuring yourself in the morning? my morning jack-it... my morning jacket...???
like blink 182's "take off your pants and jacket"...
am i crazy?
everything sucks. really.

primushead

LOL. I never thought of blink 182's album like that...actually I didn't even know they had an album called that.  I guess MMJ could have a double entendre (or whatever it's called).  But all I know is that I only have an evening jacket. ;)

TheBigDonger

Well, I think it may be a reference to the movie "Full Metal Jacket", possibly one of Jim's favorite movies?  Eh?
eat meat, eat meat, eat a big ole stear.

scientology is the answer.  sorry jesus.

OneDown

Well, the music seemed very jam band-ish the first time I heard it. Kind of reminded me of that, anyway. Sort of like something that you'd hear in a magical drunken festival type setting.

I kind of envisioned the name of the band in that context. At a long outdoor festival like that.
Then, the morning after all of that and everyone is waking up after sleeping in the field where it happened, the people gather together again to have breakfast. And "my morning jacket" is what someone puts on because its the morning and just a bit chilly as the sun hasnt come up all the way yet.

Call me crazy, but thats seriously what I thought of.

TheBigDonger

OK.  That is just plain crazy you dumbass!  Nah, I actually thoguht of it briefly because the 1st album I ever bought was At Dawn and it reminded me of the same thing.  But, if you had never been to an outdoor camp festival, you'd never think it.  Plus, i don't think they were so into that scene as to name the band after it.  Who knows.  Even the old story about it seems off. :-/
eat meat, eat meat, eat a big ole stear.

scientology is the answer.  sorry jesus.