Main Menu

New Album

Started by mebrozek, Jan 29, 2010, 09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBossMan

so they are touring the the Preservation Hall Jazz Band or whatever, im assuming/hoping that they'll be playing tunes from the album they've been working on, on this upcoming tour.  If those songs can accommodate a jazz band it must be some funky stuff different from previous albums.  It will definitely be another step for the band, i just hope it's in the right direction.  But I trust Jim and the rest of the guys, they haven't lead me astray yet, just taken me to another level.
It ain't evil baby if it ain't hurtin' anybody

aMillionDreams

The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

AlwxanderD10

jones

I like asparagus.

el_chode

I totally understand. Locke is the Island
I'm surrounded by assholes

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteI totally understand. Locke is the Island

;D
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

capt. scotty

Im fully expecting PHJB to have some horns accompanying MMJ tunes we already know.

Maybe a new song or 2 as well, but I have no idea what to expect for MMJ's next album
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

el_chode

QuoteIm fully expecting PHJB to have some horns accompanying MMJ tunes we already know.

Maybe a new song or 2 as well, but I have no idea what to expect for MMJ's next album

If I had to make a bet, it'll sound more rootsy, not like "folksy" rootsy or "dancefloors" but maybe a bit more of that 60s back-to-basics rock, with a modern MMJ twist of course. This is based off the feel of a lot of their most recent tracks, ranging anywhere from Two Halves to Dear Wife.
I'm surrounded by assholes

ynwa

i think it's gonna be a funktastic pre-album tour.

i'm psyched they'll be doing an album closely following this "mini-tour".  i'm not a musician but i know enough to realize that learning new things and expanding your horizions as a musician is never a bad thing.  i'd imagine you take the good stuff, the stuff that speaks to you, and work it into the stuff you've already nailed down and it only adds fuel to an already awesome fire.  imho.
"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

BH

The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain.  That's a big reason why I love them so much. :)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Don Dante

Well said, BH.  What's the point in following a band that doesn't move you.
Keep on dreamin' boy,
cuz when you stop dreamin'
it's time to die.

johnnYYac

I was thinking about this on my way home this afternoon.  Having not played together for a while, it makes sense to take it on the road for a few shows before heading into the studio to record.  Its a chance for YY to come down from his MoF vibe and return to the helm of the Jacket!  I'm more than happy to provide witness to their process.  
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

ynwa

QuoteI was thinking about this on my way home this afternoon.  Having not played together for a while, it makes sense to take it on the road for a few shows before heading into the studio to record.  Its a chance for YY to come down from his MoF vibe and return to the helm of the Jacket!  I'm more than happy to provide witness to their process.  

amen, brother.

CousinEddie

it might be my optimism, but the presence of phjb on the entire tour makes me think this is gonna be funk-laden. good god i hope so. i know i haven't been this excited for a tour in more than 10 years. new album or not, they're gonna bring the fucking heat.

NoVa_NoLa

Quoteit might be my optimism, but the presence of phjb on the entire tour makes me think this is gonna be funk-laden. good god i hope so. i know i haven't been this excited for a tour in more than 10 years. new album or not, they're gonna bring the fucking heat.

Hmmm, y'all might wanna listen to some PSHJB stuff first.  They streamed the album on WWOZ this afternoon.  I think BH posted a link to some tunes in another thread.

I'm trying to figure out where the clarinet solo will occur.  :D ;) :) ;D

ynwa

Quoteit might be my optimism, but the presence of phjb on the entire tour makes me think this is gonna be funk-laden. good god i hope so. i know i haven't been this excited for a tour in more than 10 years. new album or not, they're gonna bring the fucking heat.

Hmmm, y'all might wanna listen to some PSHJB stuff first.  They streamed the album on WWOZ this afternoon.  I think BH posted a link to some tunes in another thread.

I'm trying to figure out where the clarinet solo will occur.  :D ;) :) ;D

yeah, i listened to the collab bh posted the link to.  know what you're saying but... the phjb will be SUPPORTING mmj.  not sayin that some mmj tunes won't take a jazzier route (totally cool) but, i think more than not, the horns will mostly add more layers.  as a former clarinet player - it's not all about the solo, my friend.  but i'd sure love to hear at least one  :-?

danz

Quote I think BH posted a link to some tunes in another thread.
D

i can't find this link!  does it still work?

danz

Quote They streamed the album on WWOZ this afternoon.  I think BH posted a link to some tunes in another thread.

i mean this link

ynwa

Quote They streamed the album on WWOZ this afternoon.  I think BH posted a link to some tunes in another thread.

i mean this link

this is from BH's post:

"Here is the stream actually.

http://www.redmusic.com/preservation/

Awesome."

NoVa_NoLa

i mean this link

I don't think OZ is archiving shows yet.  Just checked their site (wwoz.org) and there's no trace opf the show, except for the playlist.(http://www.wwoz.org/programs/playlists/2010/01/31/2+00pm/76320)