Main Menu

New Album

Started by mebrozek, Jan 29, 2010, 09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoVa_NoLa

yeah, i listened to the collab bh posted the link to.  know what you're saying but... the phjb will be SUPPORTING mmj.  not sayin that some mmj tunes won't take a jazzier route (totally cool) but, i think more than not, the horns will mostly add more layers.  as a former clarinet player - it's not all about the solo, my friend.  but i'd sure love to hear at least one  :-?

I think you might have misunderstood my post.  I'm not implying that having Preservation Hall on tour or on stage will be anything but great!  Preservation Hall is a traditional jazz band.  I've never really considered the music to be funky or anything I'd rock out to, but that's just me.  It is great music and I'm excited that so many more people will get to hear (and support) it.  

I am really hoping to get to hear Jim sing with the band at Preservation Hall -- a place that gives me chills (the good kind) every time I'm there.

And, bring on that clarinet solo!  I'm actually really curious to hear how the collaboration will sound with Pres. Hall playing with MMJ.  Wondering which Jacket song(s) they'll do together... :D

(http://www.preservationhall.com/default_original.aspx)

aMillionDreams

Is this whole thread operating under the notion that PHJB will be the backing band for MMJ?  if so, I think you're reading it wrong.  They are the opening act, I don't think they're going to be on stage with the Jacket the whole time.  

Also, since the last album Jim has collaborated with a ton of people including Bobby Bare Sr., Bobby Bare Jr., Monsters of Folk, etc. etc.  I don't think the album is going to be funky based on them doing nine dates with PHJB especailly since they are an old-time Jazz/Dixieland band and don't do funk at all.  Just my two cents.

And we seem to be forgetting about the YY project that's due out before the next MMJ release.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

NoVa_NoLa

QuoteIs this whole thread operating under the notion that PHJB will be the backing band for MMJ?  if so, I think you're reading it wrong.  They are the opening act, I don't think they're going to be on stage with the Jacket the whole time.

No...I don't think anyone thinks that Pres. Hall will be on stage for more than a song or two at most, in addition their opening set.  My guess about the sit-ins during MMJ's set is based on the interview with Clint Maedgen yesterday.  He mentioned that in addition to Jim James sitting in during their set (at Jazz Fest) they would also be sitting in with MMJ. I guess it may or may not happen for the other shows on this leg of the tour.

QuoteAlso, since the last album Jim has collaborated with a ton of people including Bobby Bare Sr., Bobby Bare Jr., Monsters of Folk, etc. etc.  I don't think the album is going to be funky based on them doing nine dates with PHJB especailly since they are an old-time Jazz/Dixieland band and don't do funk at all.  Just my two cents.

I'm not sure what the album will sound like, other than good.  Agree with your assessment of Pres. Hall.  I got into this thread without taking note of the subject.  :-[  I was commenting only on the Pres. Hall sound.  I didn't want people to go in expecting a Rebirth Brass Band-style blowout, because that ain't likely to happen.  Next time I'll read the subject of the thread before posting.  :)

QuoteAnd we seem to be forgetting about the YY project that's due out before the next MMJ release.

What's this now?  :D

aMillionDreams

YimYames.com says full length album coming out soon.  I believe he's done recording it.  That's the "new album" we ought to be discussing, IMO. I don't believe MMJ has begun recording their new album.

Oh, also forgot to mention Courtney Tidwell, Ben Sollee, and Daniel Martin Moore on the list on recent collabs.

And I'm pretty sure CousinEddie and the OP believe they're playing together the whole time.  I just wanted to clear that up before it turned into a crazy rumor.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

...From On High

And we seem to be forgetting about the YY project that's due out before the next MMJ release.

Exactly!  And the YY website keeps teasing me with FULL LENGTH SOLO ALBUM COMING SOON at the bottom of the page.
Oh, I'll never say I knew you.  But my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

NoVa_NoLa

QuoteYimYames.com says full length album coming out soon.  I believe he's done recording it.  That's the "new album" we ought to be discussing, IMO. I don't believe MMJ has begun recording their new album.

Oh, also forgot to mention Courtney Tidwell, Ben Sollee, and Daniel Martin Moore on the list on recent collabs.

And I'm pretty sure CousinEddie and the OP believe they're playing together the whole time.  I just wanted to clear that up before it turned into a crazy rumor.

Oh, you're right.  I did totally forget about the YY full-length release.  

Thanks for getting this thread on track!  :)

danz

ynwa

QuoteYimYames.com says full length album coming out soon.  I believe he's done recording it.  That's the "new album" we ought to be discussing, IMO. I don't believe MMJ has begun recording their new album.

i did get that they will be opening for mmj and wasn't thinking that they'd be joining them for the duration of their set.  but i am hoping they will sit in on a few songs too, because i love when mmj plays w/ horns!

on my 1st post to this thread, i admit i was ignorant as to the sound of phjb  :-[    i thought 'jazz' and immediatley followed with 'horn section' and i suppose i got a bit ahead of myself;  for which i apologize.

:-/ :-/ :-/ :-/

but i listened to the songs streaming on the phjb website since that 1st post of mine and i really liked what i heard.  i've always liked that old time jazz sound.  

so, i stand corrected on the funky bit, i'm still psyched for the mini-tour & thinking maybe the new mmj album (once they start recording) will have some hints of old time jazz.

thanks for helping prevent an unintended rumor  

"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

Penny Lane

yeah i wondered about the solo album, too....(and possible short tour?)

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

CousinEddie

Yeah, I may have made some broad assumptions about the style of music PHJB plays. I thought New Orleans + Horns = FUNK. I think I just want a return to Roo 08 (my first mmj show). I do think we'll be treated to a few sit-ins every show (Dancefloors, Easy Morning Rebel, etc), but they'd have to completely re-vamp their catalog to have horns on stage the entire show.

In any case, they're going to destroy every venue they step foot in.

wakebord

i'm excited for mini-tour b/c my favorite versions of dancefloors and easy morning rebel have the horn sections; i'm hoping we get those songs each night.  i loved The Band's "Rock of Ages" where they redid some of their songs with the help of Allen Toussant (spelling i know), and I'd like to see the PHJB lend their hand to some of the other album cuts.  We have heard Evil Urges with horns at MSG on NYE 2008/9, and I thought that was a great version.  This collaboration/tour/whatever you want to call it bodes well I think for future releases - I think it might bring the band back to circa 2003 when It Still Moves was fresh and the songs still southern-fried.  That is my favorite Jacket sound, and I find a lot of nostalgia in those tunes - they are just so pure and evoke images of sitting on a front porch at dusk drinking good whiskey and jamming to the Jacket.  Regardless of the extent that the PHJB and MMJ collaborate, I can't wait for these shows.  After spending New Years in NOLA this year, I'm on a jazz kick, and I think what our heros do so well will be nicely complemented at the shows by the PHJB.  

...From On High

Quotei'm excited for mini-tour b/c my favorite versions of dancefloors and easy morning rebel have the horn sections; i'm hoping we get those songs each night.  i loved The Band's "Rock of Ages" where they redid some of their songs with the help of Allen Toussant (spelling i know), and I'd like to see the PHJB lend their hand to some of the other album cuts.  We have heard Evil Urges with horns at MSG on NYE 2008/9, and I thought that was a great version.  This collaboration/tour/whatever you want to call it bodes well I think for future releases - I think it might bring the band back to circa 2003 when It Still Moves was fresh and the songs still southern-fried.  That is my favorite Jacket sound, and I find a lot of nostalgia in those tunes - they are just so pure and evoke images of sitting on a front porch at dusk drinking good whiskey and jamming to the Jacket.  Regardless of the extent that the PHJB and MMJ collaborate, I can't wait for these shows.  After spending New Years in NOLA this year, I'm on a jazz kick, and I think what our heros do so well will be nicely complemented at the shows by the PHJB.  

Well put.
Oh, I'll never say I knew you.  But my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

kev

QuoteI totally understand. Locke is the Island

I've never liked him.  Why does this show torture me so, but it's so good?

restlesssoul

i want to try and get to a show on this mini tour, which one though? i live in vancouver.
2006X5, 2008x2, 2011x2, 2012x1, 2013x1, 2015x2

...From On High

Quotei want to try and get to a show on this mini tour, which one though? i live in vancouver.

Nashville is always cool because Carl shows off!

SplatSplatSplat

yes, they ALWAYS tear it up in Nashville.  Atlanta, too.
You need it.  That's for sure.