Preservation Hall

Started by Bigsky, Mar 01, 2010, 08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigsky

Being Saturday...I was in the need to run to Lowes for some building materials, and on my way home I listened to a discussion on NPR. They were talking about Preservation Hall, and the new release. They would play parts of some of the songs and then talk about Preservation Hall and the recording of this new album. The music sounds great, and the artists that are guest vocalist truly blend perfectly with this type of music. I'm very excited to listen to the entire album.
     Anyways, they were talking with Ben Jaffe (the music director for PH) about the history of Preservation Hall and the methods and ideas behind creating the new album. One of the concepts behind the music and the location of recording in the actual building called Preservation Hall, was to allow for the sounds of the neighborhood to be part of the background noise. They go on to discuss how at first they were very frustrated with the background noises and how they would try to record around them. But with the noises being so random it was hard to get any continuous tracks. But if you listen to the album they say you can hear these sounds (garbage trucks, motorcycles, etc.) percolating in the background. Ben Jaffe said it was Jim James that thought these sounds should be allowed to be part of this music, because these sounds were part of Preservation Hall. I thought this was just another way Jim James brings so much understanding of music to any project he works on.
     They then played Jim James track, "Louisiana Fairytale," and man was is sweet. JJ voice sounds like it's being played through an old-time phonograph.

Penny Lane

QuoteBeing Saturday...I was in the need to run to Lowes for some building materials, and on my way home I listened to a discussion on NPR. They were talking about Preservation Hall, and the new release. They would play parts of some of the songs and then talk about Preservation Hall and the recording of this new album. The music sounds great, and the artists that are guest vocalist truly blend perfectly with this type of music. I'm very excited to listen to the entire album.
     Anyways, they were talking with Ben Jaffe (the music director for PH) about the history of Preservation Hall and the methods and ideas behind creating the new album. One of the concepts behind the music and the location of recording in the actual building called Preservation Hall, was to allow for the sounds of the neighborhood to be part of the background noise. They go on to discuss how at first they were very frustrated with the background noises and how they would try to record around them. But with the noises being so random it was hard to get any continuous tracks. But if you listen to the album they say you can hear these sounds (garbage trucks, motorcycles, etc.) percolating in the background. Ben Jaffe said it was Jim James that thought these sounds should be allowed to be part of this music, because these sounds were part of Preservation Hall. I thought this was just another way Jim James brings so much understanding of music to any project he works on.
     They then played Jim James track, "Louisiana Fairytale," and man was is sweet. JJ voice sounds like it's being played through an old-time phonograph.

wow, that's awesome! thanks for posting... :)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

AMightyCaporal

Jim has such an incredible understanding of music and life that it blasts my mind grapes
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

Bigsky

I also wanted to add that the Preservation Hall Band sounds amazing, and I'm excited to hear them with the boys

FiddleCastro

I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

Bigsky

That explains it...thanks my communist friend