How popular are MMJ in the USA?

Started by bytheway, Jan 13, 2006, 06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bytheway

Im from the other side of the pond and so dont know. They are unheard of over here.

Angry Ewok

This probably doesn't answer your question, but if you check out this Fan Map, you'll see our Gospel of the Jacket is widespread across the globe.

http://www.frappr.com/mymorningjacket

I encourage everyone to drop their name on the map, if they haven't already.

Now to answer your question more directly - The Jacket is slowly but surely becoming more and more popular... But it still hasn't hit that "mark" yet where it's a household name. Yet.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

October

i think the general population is still pretty clueless and will be for a while

they only seem to be gaining steam in smaller jamband/indie/alt. rock circles

MMJ_fanatic

Popular enough that I can't make it through a day (or portion of a day) without thinking of live experiences or have any of their tunes going through my head.
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

ycartrob

QuoteIm from the other side of the pond and so dont know. They are unheard of over here.

The Jacket is getting more popular as the word gets out. As far as mainstream goes, they had music in a movie and a beer commercial,  they've been on Conan O'Brien 2x, Craig Ferguson 1x,  due to be on Letterman but cancelled, and will be on Austin City Limits.

All that is above and beyond the "smaller" jam band/indie/alt rock circuit, IMO.

One problem is there's 50 zillion bands b/c anyone can cut a CD these days. Lot of sorting out to do.

They are real popular in our household....more popular than the Beatles (lately).

Chills

TheBigDonger

Better get back on the road boz in the hood! :-/  
eat meat, eat meat, eat a big ole stear.

scientology is the answer.  sorry jesus.

DD

they are both popular and the opposite of popular here in the ville.  lots of hataz come out when someone even gets any semblance of making something of themselves outside the louisville area.

my buddy in diego says they are getting very heavy airplay out on the west coast.  most of the people i know outside of louisville know of them...though a good portion of that is probbably from me saying "hey go get this album".  overall im not sure how "popular" they are here in the states but they are definetly "known".
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails

cmccubbin25

i would say they are definitely known in the indie scene and would probably be considered mid-level rock stars

rolling stone hyped them a lot over Z so more mainstream people may be getting into them or at least people that read rolling stone...
Visit [url="http://www.37flood.com"]http://www.37flood.com[/url] for Louisville music news.

peanut butter puddin surprise

Quotethey are both popular and the opposite of popular here in the ville.  lots of hataz come out when someone even gets any semblance of making something of themselves outside the louisville area.

I concur with this.  The classic rawk stations here play Mulletcamp in heavy rotation (due to his Indiana-ness) but no one other than FPK plays MMJ at all.  I think it's about exposure...if any radio stations would play them, they would get bigger here (and elsewhere).

There appears to be some sort of backlash as I've heard people groan about the printed media exposure of MMJ, but it's not the band's fault that Louisville's music "scene" is full of bad cover bands.  (Cricket, VHS or Beta, Pine Club and Cabin are notable exceptions and NOT cover bands).
I mean really-have you guys ever read the LEO and wandered "how DID a great band like MMJ make it big here?"
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

DD

I mean really-have you guys ever read the LEO and wandered "how DID a great band like MMJ make it big here?"

simple.  they didnt "make it big" here.  they did it in the netherlands. ;)
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails

cmccubbin25

simple.  they didnt "make it big" here.  they did it in the netherlands. ;)

good call...why would Louisville hate on its own?  are people just jealous they didn't make it?  rock critics love MMJ...why don't the Louisville critics?
Visit [url="http://www.37flood.com"]http://www.37flood.com[/url] for Louisville music news.

EC

Really?  I would've thought the opposite.  When I came for the Palace show, all I could see were those LEOs everywhere with the Thanksgiving stuff and the fellas on the cover.  And then, the streets were insane for the show, and I was talkin' with some dudes at the Rud on the Friday, and everybody was talking about how mental Wednesday had been - everyone just getting completely fucked up and running around, and there had been extra cops, and, ahem, LOTS of arrests and such.

I would've thought that Louisville went mental for their boys.  But that's from someone who doesn't live there and doesn't see the day to day stuff, and hasn't experienced the history.

MMJ_fanatic

Quotethey are both popular and the opposite of popular here in the ville.  lots of hataz come out when someone even gets any semblance of making something of themselves outside the louisville area.

That is very strange and sad--how could you seriously "hate" anything as lovely as a MMJ tune?
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

loper

QuoteIm from the other side of the pond and so dont know. They are unheard of over here.

In the UK the music scene is hooked on

1. (c)Rap, which I suppose involves some attempt at creativety, even if it fails 99% of the time.

2. 3 minute, post punk, Brit Pop, frenetic guitar bands where a change of key and/or tempo is unheard of.

3. Worst of all, those plucked from obscurity because of their looks, whose only musical training is how to hold a mic in order to appeal to a newly pubescent audience of any sexual persuasion.

MMJ's music is too complex for the average mainstream music fan. Believe me, I've tried! Even people who I thought had enough intellect and patience to get into the band have disappointed me. ???

But Hey! Isn't part of being an MMJ fan a feeling of sophistication and superiority?

God, I'm feeling arrogant today! ;)

SiOuxTribe

They arnt ridiculously popular in the states.  I'm from near D.C. From what I can tell its just an underground thing for the most part with an exceptional few who have at least heard of them.
Passion dripping from the coyote's eyes,
He can taste his blood,
An' blood never lies,
Pale face die. - Kiedis

bobb

All of the end of the year best of's seems to be getting the band more exposure... Off the Record was recently added to the sort of Adult Alternative station here in Madison, WI.  That was also on the top 25 songs on the local public access radio station too.  Don't know how that might translate to popularity.