When the PHJB does play with My Morning Jacket....

Started by Vanished, Feb 01, 2010, 07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

...From On High

I was fortunate enough today at work to have a task that involves no contact with any other human being on the planet.  This task had an objective and a goal, but it couldn't be monitored by superiors because the task was somewhat unchartered, which gave them nothing to compare.  I want you to know that I worked very hard on the project and that I didn't slack (except to look on here to find presale info, etc). I did, however get to listen to all five studio records in order, followed by (EPs) Split, Chocolate & Ice, Off The Record, Run Thru and the TF/AD Demos.  It was amazing!

I think we are all assuming PHJB will play a couple songs or so with the Jacket each night.  I think many of us are also assuming they will play Dancefloors and Easy Morning Rebel.  Here are a few (Jacket) songs I think would be pretty cool to hear that collab on...assuming they think outside the box.  

Definitely:
Honest Man, Magheeta, Devil's Peanut Butter, Cobra

Maybe:
Death Is The Easy Way, Masterplan, What a Wonderful Man, Off The Record, Come Closer, Lil Billy

I expect criticism.  But if you listen to these songs you'll hear what I hear.  And you'll think about how amazing these songs would sound with some Delta brass mixed in.

What are some other songs you'd like to hear PHJB and MMJ play together?
Oh, I'll never say I knew you.  But my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

wakebord

I think everyone would agree on Dancefloors and Easy Morning Rebel.  I also think Evil Urges with horns would be great, ala NYE at MSG, but the guys are playing with a jazz band, not a funk band, so maybe it wouldn't translate as well.

I think we could possibly hear El Caporal from Dark was the Night played live for the first times (assuming it hasn't been played live before???).   I think they could jazz up Phone Went West and make it sound REALLY awesome; same with Off the Record -- both songs have a similar vibe to me despite being quite different.  (and speaking of phone went west, i want them to bring it back as the 10 minute closer!!!)

You mention Come Closer - I think that would fit more into the sound the guys developed with the Boston Pops - I just can't imagine throwing some jazz into it, although I love the song (its what got my girlfriend hooked on MMJ).  

I'd be dreaming, but I'd love to hear them cover something by The Band like Cripple Creek, The Night They Drove Ol Dixie Down, or Don't Do It... or something by Bobby Charles, but I think covers are only reserved for special events these days since the band's catalog is so diverse and expansive nowadays.  

I can't wait for these shows!

danz

Damn it's been a while since they even played 'lil Billy, eh?

aMillionDreams

QuoteDamn it's been a while since they even played 'lil Billy, eh?

Not since 2002.

I would love to hear El Caporal live for the first time with horns!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

j_rud

What about El Caporal? I think that would kick 6 tons of ass...
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

j_rud

QuoteDamn it's been a while since they even played 'lil Billy, eh?

Not since 2002.

I would love to hear El Caporal live for the first time with horns!
Didn't even notice someone beat me to the punch  ;D
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

el_chode

I was also hoping for another band cover, or 5.15 by the Who.
I'm surrounded by assholes

xmascriminal

From the latest Rolling Stone:

"The Preservation Hall Jazz Band will tour with My Morning Jacket this spring, doing an opening set and then sitting in on several songs with the headliner."

Should be awesome I'm sure. God I miss New Orleans.

TGMC421

QuoteFrom the latest Rolling Stone:

"The Preservation Hall Jazz Band will tour with My Morning Jacket this spring, doing an opening set and then sitting in on several songs with the headliner."

Should be awesome I'm sure. God I miss New Orleans.

Me too.  I'm still considering the splurge for Jazz Fest.   :-/

Don Dante

Who cares if it's April.  I want the X-mas Curtain jazzed-up-for-Christmas version.
Keep on dreamin' boy,
cuz when you stop dreamin'
it's time to die.

mlbrady89

a 11 minute war begun with a YY vs. PHJB duel

horns vs guitar

::)

actually make it 15 min and do mmj vs phjb

let the "war begun"
sometimes you'll see a strange spot in the sky, A human being that was given to fly.

miss gradenko

I know this thread is a little old but I just thought of one:

A cover of "Ophelia" (The Band).

ynwa

i'd love to hear them do some little walter
"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

Honest Man

Quote (and speaking of phone went west, i want them to bring it back as the 10 minute closer!!!)

FUCKIN A RIGHT!
The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

johnnYYac

Quote (and speaking of phone went west, i want them to bring it back as the 10 minute closer!!!)

FUCKIN A RIGHT!

Y'know, I was trying to hear all I can from PWW so I could play it on the 'chord, so I set my Zen to play all versions in series.  I got through one studio and about 6 live versions on a drive home from the big city (Concord, NH)  and it was awesome, start to finish.  Tell me I'm wrong!

What a variation to how they play it, too.  Listen to them chronologically, from the demo version on the ADTF Demos Package through New Years MSG 2008 (I don't know if they played it in '09), and you really hear the evolution of the band, the individuals, their talent, and cohesiveness.  A great simple song.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

wakebord

just listened to I'm Amazed and got to wondering how that would sound with the horns.  pretty good i bet.  can't wait for st. aug next tuesday and the setlist from b-ham.

wakebord

Well shit - no dancefloors or easy morning rebel last night w/ PHJB.