Carried Away?

Started by StayClassy, May 03, 2010, 12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StayClassy

What is this song? I have never heard of it before this tour is it a cover, or a b-side, or just a Carl solo song, or what? Carl sounded amazing on this live!

pbuttasurpise

I have no idea, but I was thinking the exact same things after tonight's show in Columbus. It was a beautiful song, loved the harmonies in the chorus. Someone, enlighten us!

FiddleCastro

I believe it is a Carl song!
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

SaraBananaBear

Yup, yup, it's Carl, you can listen to it on his MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/carlbroemel  :)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

wakebord

i've been listening to the live cut from merriweather.  this song is awesome.  it reminds me of ryan adams for whatever reason, and that is a good thing.  its pretty cool that jim is letting carl sing a song on tour.  this tour was really an incredible few weeks of events.  PHJB sitting in on the covers, carl singing, MOF songs mixed with GREAT versions of jacket classics (steam engine, i'm looking at you).  so thankful that i was able to make it to see them.  its amazing that 5 GENUINE people can make such wonderful music together, have fun doing it, and make us all feel so incredible when they are doing it.  time really stood still for the 2 hours that they performed.

(sorry for going a bit off topic!!)

Erik26

It also reminds me a little of Ryan Adams. Can't wait for his solo album!
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

ellisintransit

It is a great song.  While they were playing it in Nashville, during the solo I had flashbacks to the video for November Rain with Slash doing one of the numerous solos out in the rain.  And now every time I listen to the boot all I can hear during that solo is November Rain.  It's a damn fine song though, and I agree with the Ryan Adams comparisons too.

SmokinShootin

This song was easily the best song of the night in columbus.

FiddleCastro

QuoteThis song was easily the best song of the night in columbus.

I really loved the combo of Carried Away and Steam Engine. Those two go really well with each other. The solo @ Merriweather reminded me a bit of Lay Low mixed with Steam Engine, which is definitely a good thing  :D
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

I don't get the ryan adams but I don't really listen to ryan adams.  it seems like some old school tom petty meets dylan with less inspiring lyrics.  maybe I'm just fucked up.  It's a good song and the chorus is pretty sweet, definitely dig the solos too.  it seems kinda weird flow wise in a jacket set just because Jim is so commanding on vocals.  I'm going to listen to the MPP show tomorrow and vibe on it a bit.  snowy's my boy so I really want to like it.  

on a side note the beginning of that other songs on his myspace reminded me of david byrne a little sort of but not quite.  sorta david byrnish...

rock on carl.

My Monkey Friend

is there a link for one of the shows that played it so i can hear this gem?

johnnYYac

Quoteis there a link for one of the shows that played it so i can hear this gem?

Track 13: http://www.archive.org/details/mmj2010-05-01
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

capt. scotty

Im digging it...reminds me of a Beatles song more than anything, but even thats probably a stretch. The music in the chorus made me think of Dont Let Me Down at first.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

johnnYYac

QuoteIm digging it...reminds me of a Beatles song more than anything, but even thats probably a stretch. The music in the chorus made me think of Dont Let Me Down at first.

I may have mentioned it before.  I found it reminded me of solo David Gilmour.  The voice, the lyrics, the guitar solo.  I haven't come up with a more precise connection, but I'm a huge Gilmour fan and I remember that feeling hearing Carried Away for the very first time in the pit at Nashville.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

after a couple listens it grew on me.  It still reminds me of a different song.  at first I thought it had a "don't let me down" by the beatles vibe but that's definitely not it.  maybe it's good and right and that's why it sounds familiar?

weeniebeenie

I love this song. I first heard it on Musical Family Tree. I'm glad Carl is getting to sing this at shows.
How loud can silence get?

SmokinShootin

What do you think the chances are that this appears on a mmj album?  I can only hope.  It gives me hope for the band to become even better.  If Carl wound up singing or 2 or 3 solo songs a show it would further the diversity of the band in my opinion.  They would be undeniably my favorite band instead of just one of my favorite bands.  I can only hope.

capt. scotty

Quoteafter a couple listens it grew on me.  It still reminds me of a different song.  at first I thought it had a "don't let me down" by the beatles vibe but that's definitely not it.  maybe it's good and right and that's why it sounds familiar?

QuoteIm digging it...reminds me of a Beatles song more than anything, but even thats probably a stretch. The music in the chorus made me think of Dont Let Me Down at first.

Great Mind think alike...When I feel like wasting my time, I'll try to see if another song is more comparable, but I think DLMD is pretty close still.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quoteafter a couple listens it grew on me.  It still reminds me of a different song.  at first I thought it had a "don't let me down" by the beatles vibe but that's definitely not it.  maybe it's good and right and that's why it sounds familiar?

Great Mind think alike...When I feel like wasting my time, I'll try to see if another song is more comparable, but I think DLMD is pretty close still.

I'm mentally retarded or a poser, maybe both.  maybe it's your fault I thought that.  it does have that beatlesk vibe when jim does hits those harmonies.

theonlyone

yep!