Your favorite MMJ vocal section?

Started by kyleschaffer, Apr 12, 2010, 11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahg33ta

I'm not asking what are your favorite vocals- ie the words that you think are best written (already a great thread for that)- I'm wondering what's your favorite part of a song to sing along to?   IMO a very different question and in fact my favorite part has no words at all - it's JJ going off on Gideon at around 2:00.   I love cranking that up and singing along (poorly) - especially when he starts that one low note and ratchets it up around 2:30.   Sorry for the non-technical description - not a singer.

Hope that's a positive thread contribution  ;)

ps. that part is even better live because right after the vocals end the lights, band, and crowd go nutty for the next minute.

BH

Cool thread!  I don't even know Where to Begin?   See what I did there.   Also, It Beats 4U gets me everytime.  You do NOT want to be in the car with me during that song.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

mahg33ta

QuoteCool thread!  I don't even know Where to Begin?   See what I did there.   Also, It Beats 4U gets me everytime.  You do NOT want to be in the car with me during that song.

I was listening to Z when I got the idea for the thread.  It was actually the end of wordless chorus where YY's hootin' and hollerin' funk-style.   Then beats4u came on and I thought - oohh... this might be better.. then Gideon came on and I said "THAT's my favorite section"....

MMJ_fanatic

How about the chorus of "Wordless Chorus"??????? 8-)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

SaraBananaBear

I sing along with everything (and dance), however I try to contain myself around other people, since I can't really sing and that makes trying to match Jim James vocal ability a particular bad idea. When no one is around on the other hand... Oooooaaaahaoooo!  :D
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

johnnYYac

At Dawn tops many of my lists, short on words, big on vocal punch.

Bermuda Highway is a favorite to sing along to, with its own "wordless" chorus

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

buymycar

I wish I could whistle as good as Jim does at the end of It Beats 4 U.

SaraBananaBear

Oh I changed my mind, I do have a few favourites, that are favourites not necessarily because of the lyrics (even though all lyrics are great), but because of the way they sound when you say them or the rhythm.

Like limber and river in One Big Holiday, always have to sing along to those and the "it chills the body but not the soul" part in Smokin' From Shootin. And the backing vocals on Sec Walkin, spaaaarkle! Probably lots more, but those are the ones I can think of right now.  :)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

Jon T.

QuoteI wish I could whistle as good as Jim does at the end of It Beats 4 U.

I believe that's Andrew Bird doing the whistlin', buymycar.  You should check him out!

The first few that come to mind..."take your money and your druuuuugs", "i will not crumble" and the whole end of smokin from shootin " distance coming or going come on..."

mahg33ta

the whole end of smokin from shootin " distance coming or going come on..."

Ahh- great one - what a great build-up that whole song is.

I guess I should have called this thread "the way that he sings, not the words that he says"....

Erik26

I like to learn the drum parts and sing along to most songs while i'm playing them. If i'm not drumming then the vocal going into the bridge/outro of Gideon is something I always scream along to. That one seems to get me no matter what mood i'm in. Actually, Gideon and War Begun, I love War Begun so much.
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

capt. scotty

I probably get singalongitis most often with OBH, Gideon, Steam Engine, Anytime, and PWW
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

el_chode

I'm surrounded by assholes

pawpaw

The beginning of Rollin' Back, and the lonesome, canyon filling howl from One In The Same.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

mjkoehler

[size=20]".....You had me woooooooooooooorried!"[/size][/i]

AlwxanderD10

Oh i know (oh i know) it's never easy when there's trouble.....

tdb810

Quote[size=20]".....You had me woooooooooooooorried!"[/size][/i]

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wakin up feelin' good and limber.......

It's always good when I get to see that there's never more than what you're telling me when you stay......home  (wahhoooooowooo)

tell me i'm wrong
tell me i'm right
tell me there's nobody else in the world........

.....Back at the Model Home

buymycar

QuoteI wish I could whistle as good as Jim does at the end of It Beats 4 U.

I believe that's Andrew Bird doing the whistlin', buymycar.  You should check him out!

No kidding?  Is that in the liner notes for Z?  That's awesome...and would explain why Jim doesn't whistle at the end of it when they play it live.

aMillionDreams

The screaming parts on Honest Man!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

sweatboard

I Needed It Most - The entire song!
There's Still Time.........