MMJ lovefest aka someone else said it better!

Started by SaraBananaBear, Aug 18, 2010, 04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaraBananaBear

I thought we could have a thread where we could collect things people have said about MMJ that you agree with but never thought of to write/say yourself. Like when you find an article (Or YouTube comments or forum posts etc.) and read it and you can just tell the writer gets it, feel the same MMJ love that you do.  :D

Just a few of my favorites:
From Rolling Stone's 2008 Top 50 Albums of the Year:
"(...) the band pledges loyalty to only one genre: itself."

"The five-piece's warm but desolate rock sounds like Sun sessions held on the moon, and Jim James' pipes, which seem to come from somewhere beyond himself, can make others' 'intimate' vocals seem like stilted Merchant-Ivory performances."
From: From http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/5868-my-morning-jacket/

And this whole post: http://thesteamengine.blogspot.com/2010/08/my-morning-jacket-best-band-on-planet.html

:D
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

Tracy 3000

Some have said My Morning Jacket is like:

Flaming Lips-shimmering-synth-from a dog's point of view-No Code Pearl Jam-great-Quaalude smooth-soul vibe-haunting-awesome climax-very smooth-great beat-reverbless-Christian elements-Curtis Mayfieldesque-not all quiet-epiphany-journey-uplifting-
utterly ambiguous-reminds me of Radiohead-drunken uncle tactic of talking loudly about very little to get attention-reverberant-right out of the 80's-post James Taylor-sappy-breezy-naïve-rootsy-sensual-civic-
New Age romanticism-soulful-catchy-country-western-familiar-libertarian undertones-riff driven riff driven-oddly disturbing-Pink Floydish-spatial-existential angst atmospherics-buoyant-disco like-
goofy-fun-Southern fried-Crosby Stills and Nashness-disappointing-
electronica inspired opus-empty-generic-Mars Volta-new wave-glitch-
embarrassing-Dan Fogelberg-minimalistic-sub par-reggae infused-
low rent Prince-Prince like breathiness-Princeish-Prince like-Prince drenched-Princesque- Prince uh ly pulled-inspiring-let down-Phish novelty-highly frustrating-haunting-cheesy Christian rock-wildly divergent-gorgeous-killer-Like your mother in law on Christmas-
seriously lacking-accessible-futuristic-epic-innovative-sucks ass-
desperate-compressed to shit piece of pastiche-radio friendly dumb rock-unwanted-bipolar-linear-80's hip hop-stylistically fractured-
rawkin'-timeless-fun-fiery-guitar freakouts-space rock-syrupy-
insistent-prog-funk-sexy-bizarre-wiley assaultive-sonic-bombshell-
itchy-60's style-90's style-jaw dropping-uncompromising-bone deep
-exhilarating-accomplished-carnivalesque-childlike zeal-chopping-changing-psychedelic-flourishing glassy eyes yacht-pop-exhausting-
exhilirating-Zeppelinesque-blistering-elastic-stylish-gentle lounge beat-
Guided By Voices-Marvin Gaye-Wilco-Replacements-Tone Loc-
Sly and The Family Stone-Band of Horses-Ween-Bee Gees-downright urban-anamolous-scattered-uneven feel to it.
Jim brings all his love, passion, energy and mystery to the stage and says, "I'm right here."

SaraBananaBear

QuoteSome have said My Morning Jacket is like:

Flaming Lips-shimmering-synth-from a dog's point of view-No Code Pearl Jam-great-Quaalude smooth-soul vibe-haunting-awesome climax-very smooth-great beat-reverbless-Christian elements-Curtis Mayfieldesque-not all quiet-epiphany-journey-uplifting-
utterly ambiguous-reminds me of Radiohead-drunken uncle tactic of talking loudly about very little to get attention-reverberant-right out of the 80's-post James Taylor-sappy-breezy-naïve-rootsy-sensual-civic-
New Age romanticism-soulful-catchy-country-western-familiar-libertarian undertones-riff driven riff driven-oddly disturbing-Pink Floydish-spatial-existential angst atmospherics-buoyant-disco like-
goofy-fun-Southern fried-Crosby Stills and Nashness-disappointing-
electronica inspired opus-empty-generic-Mars Volta-new wave-glitch-
embarrassing-Dan Fogelberg-minimalistic-sub par-reggae infused-
low rent Prince-Prince like breathiness-Princeish-Prince like-Prince drenched-Princesque- Prince uh ly pulled-inspiring-let down-Phish novelty-highly frustrating-haunting-cheesy Christian rock-wildly divergent-gorgeous-killer-Like your mother in law on Christmas-
seriously lacking-accessible-futuristic-epic-innovative-sucks ass-
desperate-compressed to shit piece of pastiche-radio friendly dumb rock-unwanted-bipolar-linear-80's hip hop-stylistically fractured-
rawkin'-timeless-fun-fiery-guitar freakouts-space rock-syrupy-
insistent-prog-funk-sexy-bizarre-wiley assaultive-sonic-bombshell-
itchy-60's style-90's style-jaw dropping-uncompromising-bone deep
-exhilarating-accomplished-carnivalesque-childlike zeal-chopping-changing-psychedelic-flourishing glassy eyes yacht-pop-exhausting-
exhilirating-Zeppelinesque-blistering-elastic-stylish-gentle lounge beat-
Guided By Voices-Marvin Gaye-Wilco-Replacements-Tone Loc-
Sly and The Family Stone-Band of Horses-Ween-Bee Gees-downright urban-anamolous-scattered-uneven feel to it.

Hahaha, the question is, do you agree with all of this? I for one am pretty confused about the "reverbless", hm?  There's a few other that I'm confused about:

drunken uncle tactic of talking loudly about very little to get attention
Hahahaha! This wouldn't be my first thought about MMJ, not even my second or 50th thought actually...  ;)

Like your mother in law on Christmas
Do not agree, mother in laws are awful, MMJ is nothing like that  :P

sucks ass, embarrassing and seriously lacking
Now that's just wrong

However there's a lot of great ones in there as well, like:
haunting, great beat, epiphany, journey, sensual, soulful, goofy, fun, innovative, sexy, exhilarating, changing etc etc  :)

EasyRyder

Not sure if this applies, but it made my MMJ lovefest exponentially grow! Jim James said something 'bout my city in the most eloquent way imaginable:

"New Orleans is like raw magic, raw power...and the music that comes from and out of New Orleans is like the synthesis and meat of all music in the universe I feel like."

Voodoo can't come soon enough  [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

(coming from lp's post in the Band section of the forum which links to an interview of the band by the Huffington Post)
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

SaraBananaBear

QuoteNot sure if this applies, but it made my MMJ lovefest exponentially grow! Jim James said something 'bout my city in the most eloquent way imaginable:

"New Orleans is like raw magic, raw power...and the music that comes from and out of New Orleans is like the synthesis and meat of all music in the universe I feel like."

Voodoo can't come soon enough  [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

(coming from lp's post in the Band section of the forum which links to an interview of the band by the Huffington Post)

Any addition to the lovefest is welcome! Woop, woop!  :D