At Dawn: Your Thoughts 9 Years Later...

Started by Tracy_3000, Aug 15, 2010, 03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tracy 3000

Still one of my top 10 albums of all time.
Jim brings all his love, passion, energy and mystery to the stage and says, "I'm right here."

lovemytree

at dawn was the first mmj song and album that was introduced to my ears and heart, thanks to my buddy zapper...at dawn began my love for mmj, and for that i will be forever thankful...at dawn would be in my top 10. :)

headhunter

amazing and this show at Terminal 5 is the one that I am most excited for.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

classicrocker623

Although I haven't been acquainted with At Dawn for 9 years, it still holds a place in my heart.  Although I love every Jacket album, recently I've been feeling that this is actually my favorite one.
As I was coming down from a beautiful experience in the mountains of New Hampshire last weekend, I threw on At Dawn.  When the album started, it was pitch black outside (about 4:00 am), but by the time Honest Man kicked in the sun was beginning to peek out over the mountains.  I remembered Jim saying once how he heard Neil Young's Harvest in the early morning hours and was inspired to make an album as beautiful as that classic.
As if my friend knew exactly what I was thinking, he put on After the Gold Rush which became the perfect companion piece to At Dawn.  Start to finish, At Dawn makes me feel sad, happy, lonesome, enlightened, rocked, and so many more feelings that shouldn't go together but somehow coexist simultaneously.  
Long live the Jacket

Soulshine

amazing and this show at Terminal 5 is the one that I am most excited for.

....one of the greatest albums ever made.
Because we're all in this together...

Erik26

The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

mjkoehler

Have I been listening to this for 9 years now? jeez time flies when listening to amazing stuff.

sweatboard

Still a Masterpiece.
Still in my opinion the Greates Album Ever Produced by Mankind.

Headphones are a good idea.  

The intro to At Dawn alone is one of the coolest things ever recorded, the harmonica on Death Is The Easy Way, the all out screaming and jamming at the end of Honest Man, the banjo and rocking chair on If It Smashes Down, the vocal performance on I Needed It Most, and a milliion other amazing moments make this easily to this day my favorite record of all time.  
There's Still Time.........

e_wind

don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Tracy 3000

I recall taking this to South Dakota and really listening to it for the first time on the wide open plains, with that high, lonesome voice.

I also remember hearing the grasshoppers or crickets on Hopefully and Bermuda Hwy. That shit haunted me, seriously. I would put the headphones on late at night and listen and sort of look around thinking that as blissful as I felt, this would be the perfect time for someone to murder me.
Jim brings all his love, passion, energy and mystery to the stage and says, "I'm right here."

Tracy 3000

Quotestrangulation.

yep

there was a time when that was my favorite song from anybody ever.

sweatboard

Ha, that's awesome.

I remember putting my headphones on late and night, listening to Bermuda Highway hearing the lyric "Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall" and thinking 'Oh my God, this guy has no idea what he's doing, he's just hoping to get this stuff by without anyone really noticing.' Then I went and smoked some crack and read some Chaucer....in old english of course.

Hey Tracy,

Have you listend to this show yet?  If you haven't get on it asap, It's epic!!!

http://www.archive.org/details/mmj2010-08-17

Tracy 3000

Hey Tracy,

Have you listend to this show yet?  If you haven't get on it asap, It's epic!!!

http://www.archive.org/details/mmj2010-08-17

whoa!   :o

The > Mahgeetah, Dancefloors, Masterplan  TRIFECTA!

sweatboard

yeah, it takes me back to The Rites of Spring days. GREAT version of Dancefloors, Bo sounds better than ever.

Ruckus

Still my favorite album by them and likely will always be.  It's weird because I haven't popped in a Jacket album in almost two years because I listen to mostly their live stuff or random mixes.  

It's perfect.  I don't know of any other album remotely like it.  No not even Neil Young...etc.  I'll be saying the same thing 33 years later as well.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Tracy 3000

QuoteStill my favorite album by them and likely will always be.  It's weird because I haven't popped in a Jacket album in almost two years because I listen to mostly their live stuff or random mixes.  

It's perfect.  I don't know of any other album remotely like it.  No not even Neil Young...etc.  I'll be saying the same thing 33 years later as well.

great, but what about in 34 years? In 2044?  :o     I'll be 80    :-?