Evil Urges: Your Thoughts 1 Year Later...

Started by capt._headdy, Jun 10, 2009, 09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

So it's been 365 days since Evil Urges dropped (damn, fast year), and I wanted to see what people think about the album a year later - has it grown on you, faded, like any songs more now than at first, etc. How do you rank it compared to their other albums?

For me, I liked it a lot at first but didnt think it was as good as their last 3 releases. I listened to it a lot those first few months, but since its "new MMJ" luster wore off, I rarely throw it on and listen to all their other albums more often. I dont dislike any songs on it, but I'd say a few songs on it are some of their weakest to date. To go along with that, I think only a couple songs are up there with some of the best in their catalog. As an album, I dont think it's quite up to par with the high precedent they've set and I'd probably give it 3.5/5

For individual songs, I didnt like Two Halves at all at first, but thats grown on me. Touch Me Once has grown on me as well, same with Remnants. Librarian is probably the only song that gone the opposite direction for me. I liked it a good bit at first, but now not so much. I still enjoy Highly Suspicious and love rockin aht to that one.

Best 3 tracks: Smokin From Shootin, Touch Me Twice, and no 3rd really standouts to me from the rest. Maybe Thank You Too?

Worst 3 Tracks: Aluminum Park, Librarian, Two Halves
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Erik26

For me EU stands out because of the mastering, all instruments seem to cut through when they need to and just sound so clean and crisp. As for the songs themselves I like them all, except for Remnants. I just can't seem to get into that song, although i still let it play when it comes on.
EU also means a lot to me because this was the first tour i had a chance to see MMJ on. (3 times) I can't wait for something new and another tour.
I won't rate the album against the others because they are all very different, unique and from me earn equal respect.
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

Love Dogg

QuoteFor me EU stands out because of the mastering, all instruments seem to cut through when they need to and just sound so clean and crisp. [highlight]As for the songs themselves I like them all, except for Remnants. I just can't seem to get into that song, although i still let it play when it comes on.[/highlight]
EU also means a lot to me because this was the first tour i had a chance to see MMJ on. (3 times) I can't wait for something new and another tour.
[highlight]I won't rate the album against the others because they are all very different, unique and from me earn equal respect.[/highlight]

Two good points, Erik.  After all...they are My Morning Jacket.  :)
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

searchinbig

I still like it.  I'm not going to comment on all the individual songs except Highly Suspicious is our Little League psych up song.

The little guy and I crank it up on the way to the games. Gets us going.  :)
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

Don Dante

Great point on the mastering, Erik.  I think the album does sound incredible, from an instrumental and fidelity standpoint.  Not their best album, for me it ranks right in the middle at 3 though, which seems to be higher than most.  I just love the chances they took, dabbling in many genres.  That was a huge indicator of their boldness and that, unlike other bands, when they say they like pushing the limits, they really mean it.  And to take a big chance right at their breaking point, when they were starting to get huge, no less.

Agree that Librarian has lost its luster.  Two Halves and Sec Walkin' are just okay.  The rest I like or love.  Especially Smokin'...I really think that is one of the 5 best songs that Jim has written.
Keep on dreamin' boy,
cuz when you stop dreamin'
it's time to die.

Ellis D.

Vadie Stark

QuoteI still like it.  I'm not going to comment on all the individual songs except [highlight]Highly Suspicious is our Little League psych up song.

The little guy and I crank it up on the way to the games. Gets us going.  :)
[/highlight]
:) :) :)

Not the one thing. I used to think I
could at least some way put things right.

goodjam2bn

We listen to the alive Celebración De La Ciudad Natal instead. We enjoy Okonokos much more these days.
Ride the music wave and wipe out really good!

Bigsky

I still love it...all of it. With that said...I've only been a MMJ fan for 18 months, so my opinion is different than you older fans. Remnants is definitely better live. I agree with the others on its instrumental qualities. I am always amazed by its crisp, clean sound. I also think EU marks a new era for the band as a mainstream (not sold-out) favorite. They're not the little band they once were. I am very curious what the next album will sound like...I don't think there is any turning back.  

Vadie Stark

QuoteI still [highlight]love it[/highlight]...all of it. With that said...I've only been a MMJ fan for 18 months, so my opinion is different than you older fans. Remnants is definitely better live. I agree with the others on its instrumental qualities. I am always amazed by its crisp, clean sound. I also think EU marks a [highlight]new era for the band[/highlight] as a mainstream (not sold-out) favorite. They're not the little band they once were. I am very curious what the next album will sound like...[highlight]I don't think there is any turning back.[/highlight]  
[smiley=evil.gif]

AMightyCaporal

I love EU, I have always loved it but it has grown on me with each listen.  I completely agree about the mastering- their sound is really tight on each song.  The album is so deep too- I mean to say that with each listen you pick up something new that you have or haven't heard before or just never realized you've heard it.  Its a fantastic album and really raised the band to a new level.
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

capt. scotty

QuoteI still [highlight]love it[/highlight]...all of it. With that said...I've only been a MMJ fan for 18 months, so my opinion is different than you older fans. Remnants is definitely better live. I agree with the others on its instrumental qualities. I am always amazed by its crisp, clean sound. I also think EU marks a [highlight]new era for the band[/highlight] as a mainstream (not sold-out) favorite. They're not the little band they once were. I am very curious what the next album will sound like...[highlight]I don't think there is any turning back.[/highlight]  
[smiley=evil.gif]

So why dont you tell us all what you think of the album if youre going to quote other people  :)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Vadie Stark

[smiley=evil.gif]

So why dont you tell us all what you think of the album if youre going to quote other people  :)
Sorry I think like other people ;) I Love the record The only songs imo that are weak are Thank You Too and Look At You. It' not they are bad songs but I would rather check out the venue or recycle beer when those songs play I just agreed with Big [smiley=evil.gif] that;s all  :)

Ellis D.

It's just because you have so little depth to your character that you don't "get it"...

Vadie Stark

QuoteIt's just because you have so little depth to your character that you don't "get it"...

Good Call

crazylove

Still love Evil Urges!  I don't think you should compare the discs.  Each and every one shows the depth of Jim's talent and range.  And it's not always about the instrumental qualities, at least for me.  The Lyrics are pretty special on Look At you and Librarian shows off his poetic side.  It doesn't have to always be "rockin' out" to be great.
"You could kill someone up here and bury them in the snow! No one would ever find them!"- Penny Lane

Janet

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Evil Urges is an effen great album! (I'm old school, hence "album")  I don't love every song - some I like ok (Librarian, Look at You), but some can go toe to toe with the best songs in the MMJ catalog (Highly Suspicious and Touch Me Pt 2).  

I cannot listen to Touch Me Part 2 without shaking the hiney just a little bit - even if it comes on when driving, even a year later...and Highly Suspicious?  Don't even get me started.  Highly badass!  If you don't like this song - please don't reply to this post.

And what about Evil Urges, Smokin' from Shootin', I'm Amazed, Sec Walkin'?  Shit, coming from another band, any one of those might be the best song of their careers.

I could go on, but I won't.  This is a great album.  I think it should stand proudly with all of MMJ's other releases.  I love it!

drewsdad27us

I found the band with It Still Moves, and it will always be my favorite. When Z came out, I felt betrayed...they turned so "keyboardy". I could not listen to much of it at first....
    Then I went back into the catalog, found At Dawn and Tennessee Fire. WOW. Talk about Major EVOLUTION from those albums to Z. I finally figured this band shakes things up sometimes. Z really grew on me and the idea of what they could do with a skilled key's guy really intrigued me.
Okonokos?  It pushed me into the EP scene and downloads of concerts that people post.   Evil urges seems to move forward while maintaining the bands purity of songwriting style and opening up the sound style.    There are always a song or two I just don't fall for on each release, but nothing is perfect.  I even taught myself to play the guitar so I could sing the songs to my kids...Its been great and I cannot wait until they are old enough to see themin real life.   I have seen them 7 times traveled thousands of miles to see them and would pay to hear'em poop in concert(although no quite front row for that)  :D                                          

tdb810

I struggle with this , because I really, really want to LOVE everything they do.  I am also not much of a "critic" so have been in a bit of denial about admitting my true thoughts about Evil Urges.  This is cathartic for me, and a bit of a confession, but I must agree with Capt Headdy and give it a 3.5/5.  I definitely listen to their older stuff WAY more, and have much more of an emotional/crazy/visceral response to their earlier songs.  

Just my 2 cents, but I will loVe them no matter what!!!!!!!

And like drewsdad27us, I CANNOT wait to bring my daughter to her first MMJ show! Her faves are PWW, OTR, and OBH.  Her first esposure was the New yrs 2006 show -- Careless Whisper drove her (and me) crazy with the whole Bababanananananas....She was 4 and would absolutely HOWL with delight at that point in the recording.  

Ok, rambling off topic now.....
.....Back at the Model Home

capt. scotty

QuoteI struggle with this , because I really, really want to LOVE everything they do.  I am also not much of a "critic" so have been in a bit of denial about admitting my true thoughts about Evil Urges.  This is cathartic for me, and a bit of a confession, but I must agree with Capt Headdy and give it a 3.5/5.  I definitely listen to their older stuff WAY more, and have much more of an emotional/crazy/visceral response to their earlier songs.  

Thats pretty much exactly how I feel about it and their earlier songs. Z took awhile to grow on me, but by a year later it had me fully hooked. Like I said, its not that its bad and it has its moments of greatness, but most of the album just doesnt take my mind off of the world and into the Jacket like all their other albums and basically every song on those albums does. The rocking songs dont make me rock out as much as songs off previous albums, and the softer songs dont take me to another place like Golden, Rollin' Back, Into The Woods, Bermuda Highway, etc.

I realize this is the MMJ board and we all love 'em, but Im surprised nearly everybody who has left a response so far feels its as good as all their other albums and better than some. Of course songs hit people differently and I knew some people would really love it, but I didnt expect it to be this overwhelming. Like tbd, I tried to tell myself I like it as much as their other albums, but I just dont.

Maybe by the time the next album comes out, some of my thoughts on EU will change as I can put it and some songs into a different perspective, but I dont know.