Evil Urges: Your Thoughts 1 Year Later...

Started by capt._headdy, Jun 10, 2009, 09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

QuoteI still think it's their worst album,not that it's all bad but it doesn't reach the greatness of their 1st 3.

you meant their first 4, right?
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Jellyfish

QuoteI still think it's their worst album,not that it's all bad but it doesn't reach the greatness of their 1st 3.

No,I still think their 1st 3 albums are masterpieces,and although I like Z a lot,it was a step down and EU even more.Don't get me wrong,I still love these guys and think they are the best live act going today.And I am hoping the current down time will produce another great album.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

capt. scotty

I think if they would have left off the title track and Highly Suspicious it would have much better.

I think Highly Suspicious and Evil Urges are 2 of the stronger songs on there.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

zuma

rob

I think I'm respecting it more now that the thought is in my head that it may be their last album...

Played it in full last night. Most of it I do really love. But sometimes I can't bring myself to listen to the squeaky Highly Suspicious, the corny Two Halves and the generic Aluminum Park. With these 3 edited out, the album might've gotten better reviews, imo.
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

Bigsky

No,I still think their 1st 3 albums are masterpieces,and although I like Z a lot,it was a step down and EU even more.Don't get me wrong,I still love these guys and think they are the best live act going today.And I am hoping the current down time will produce another great album.

I think it's really sad that your smoking crack. I understand that this drug is addicting, but it's just not fair for you to try to give a valid opinion while your high. Not fair to the boys or yourself. :'(

Love Dogg

I think it's really sad that your smoking crack. I understand that this drug is addicting, but it's just not fair for you to try to give a valid opinion while your high. Not fair to the boys or yourself. :'(

;D
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

Soulshine

I think if they would have left off the title track and Highly Suspicious it would have much better.

[highlight]I think Highly Suspicious and Evil Urges are 2 of the stronger songs on there[/highlight].

totally agree
Because we're all in this together...

Jellyfish

And your opinion means nothing with insulting comments like that.If you can't be an adult then we don't want you here.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

capt. scotty

QuoteI think I'm respecting it more now that the thought is in my head that it may be their last album...

Im no rich man, but Im willing to bet you $100 that MMJ will have another album. We can do this via paypal. If they go 5 years (or until the end of 2014) without making another album, i'll paypal you $100. The day their next album drops, you pay me. Let me know if youre down.

I'll take sidebets.

No way in hell MMJ is done.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

red medicine

It's been said before, but if you replace a couple of the songs in the middle with El Caporal/Devils PB/Dear Wife, you have yourself one great ablum...

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteI think I'm respecting it more now that the thought is in my head that it may be their last album...

Im no rich man, but Im willing to bet you $100 that MMJ will have another album. We can do this via paypal. If they go 5 years (or until the end of 2014) without making another album, i'll paypal you $100. The day their next album drops, you pay me. Let me know if youre down.

I'll take sidebets.

I agree. They aren't done at all. They worked hard, they deserve a break.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

The DARK

I'll take sidebets.

I agree. They aren't done at all. They worked hard, they deserve a break.

Agreed again. Music is Jim's calling, and he'll probably never stop getting it out of his system. All these side projects are just conduits for a different kind of songwriting. My Morning Jacket has become something far different than it ever was during Tennessee Fire times. They're a bona fide world conquering rock band, and as for the heartbreaking acoustic tunes he still is capable of writing, he can't ask his incredible band to sit by for album after album where they only occasionally have an important role.

I think that's what this break is all about. The band is still young.
In another time, in another place, in another face

jdbartender

It's funny... I am about 1 year in to MMJ now... Actually I saw them open up for Pearl Jam back in 06 and thought they were great!  But didn't really get into them until 08.

With that being said, in the age of the download, I unfortunately listen to each tune on an individual basis.. There is some good and some bad to this approach.. The good is, I don't classify their sound based on album... MMJ is a little bit of everything to me, and I can't really point to a time period or album that is there best..  I am not biased at all and I don't wish EU was as good as Z because to me, all of there music is one huge play list... The bad is, I am missing out on the concepts that each record was created around.. Maybe this lessens my understanding of the band to a certain extent?  Either way, I love their sound and MMJ is starting to become my favorite band!  Can't wait to see them again now that I know the catalog a little better!

BH

QuoteIt's funny... I am about 1 year in to MMJ now... Actually I saw them open up for Pearl Jam back in 06 and thought they were great!  But didn't really get into them until 08.

With that being said, in the age of the download, I unfortunately listen to each tune on an individual basis.. There is some good and some bad to this approach.. The good is, I don't classify their sound based on album... MMJ is a little bit of everything to me, and I can't really point to a time period or album that is there best..  I am not biased at all and I don't wish EU was as good as Z because to me, all of there music is one huge play list... The bad is, I am missing out on the concepts that each record was created around.. Maybe this lessens my understanding of the band to a certain extent?  Either way, I love their sound and MMJ is starting to become my favorite band!  Can't wait to see them again now that I know the catalog a little better!

Nice perspective.  Thanks!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Angry Ewok

Album-to-album is the way to go, for me. You have a better connection with the artist when the album is experienced as a whole... Just hearing singles is like just seeing portions of a painting - the foreground, or middleground, or background. Each element may be great to look at on its own, but the piece as a whole has got to be seen to be truly appreciate IMHO.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

AMightyCaporal

QuoteAlbum-to-album is the way to go, for me. You have a better connection with the artist when the album is experienced as a whole... Just hearing singles is like just seeing portions of a painting - the foreground, or middleground, or background. Each element may be great to look at on its own, but the piece as a whole has got to be seen to be truly appreciate IMHO.

Boom goes the dynamite! You sir are correct!
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

Eweezy

Let's face it, it was only their 2nd studio album as the current band that they are today?  I mean "Z" blows it out of the water but, it still is a quality listen.  I guess the best way to put it in nicer words is that I tend to listen to "Evil Urges" less than any of their other work.  Again I'm trying to compare it with the current lineup, I can't put it against the others because the rest of their catalog is in another stratosphere.
Yikes!

Bigsky

And your opinion means nothing with insulting comments like that.If you can't be an adult then we don't want you here.

You have to be an adult to be on this forum? There goes half of us...
I was only joking Jelly...and just to let you know...I found your opinion insulting.

mahg33ta

I'll chime in... not to argue, these are just opinions, but since everyone's sharing...

a fan since it still moves, love Z, backfilled at dawn, tennessee and the misc stuff...

First listen a year ago was a disappointment.   Was on hardcore rotation from purchase till shows last fall.   Knew at that point I didn't love it, but seeing the songs live gave me a new appreciation.... From then it went back to the disc holder...

I've been listening to it again lately randomly mixed in with the other MMJ stuff;  still not crazy about it.... agree with the 3 out of 5 ish type reviews.

Will skip remnants, aluminum park, and two halves if they appear on shuffle.   Can't say that about any other MMJ song on any album.

Favorites:  Shootin', Evil Urges, TMIGTS, Suspicious