CD compilation to turn friends on to MMJ

Started by D_Hewlett, Sep 24, 2010, 06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rincon

No one I know has ever heard of MMJ, even though most of them have decent taste in RnR music. Single albums all have their own sound, so the impact is only going to happen to a dedicated listener. I made a CD that I am burning for friends and family all over the country. I only have 3 albums, but here is my list. I think if anyone listens more than once they will "GET IT". Here is the track listing, selected to show the incredible variety of their music.

Wordless Chorus
Golden
One Big Holiday
Run Thru
Highly Suspicious
Thank You Too!
Two Halves
Librarian
Steam Engine
Gideon
Aluminum Park
Smokin from Shootin
Touch me Pt 2
Off the Record
What a Wonderful Man
Dondonte

Mahgheetah was 30 seconds too long, so I had to substitute it.

SaraBananaBear

QuoteNo one I know has ever heard of MMJ, even though most of them have decent taste in RnR music. Single albums all have their own sound, so the impact is only going to happen to a dedicated listener. I made a CD that I am burning for friends and family all over the country. I only have 3 albums, but here is my list. I think if anyone listens more than once they will "GET IT". Here is the track listing, selected to show the incredible variety of their music.

Wordless Chorus
Golden
One Big Holiday
Run Thru
Highly Suspicious
Thank You Too!
Two Halves
Librarian
Steam Engine
Gideon
Aluminum Park
Smokin from Shootin
Touch me Pt 2
Off the Record
What a Wonderful Man
Dondonte

Oooh, it's a good list, I approve :) I've felt the need to custom tailor my mixed CD according to the taste of the person receiving them, so for my up-beat-I-like-to-listen-to-music-while-I-clean-mum I'd pick only fast songs on the more cheerful side (just as a gateway ofc) and for my I-like-to-chill-and-listen-to-acoustic-songs-before-going-to-sleep-friend I'd pick only acoustic songs. But like you said, this list would definitely be good for showing the variety of the music.  :)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

Love Dogg

QuoteNo one I know has ever heard of MMJ, even though most of them have decent taste in RnR music. Single albums all have their own sound, so the impact is only going to happen to a dedicated listener. I made a CD that I am burning for friends and family all over the country. I only have 3 albums, but here is my list. I think if anyone listens more than once they will "GET IT". Here is the track listing, selected to show the incredible variety of their music.

Wordless Chorus
Golden
One Big Holiday
Run Thru
Highly Suspicious
Thank You Too!
Two Halves
Librarian
Steam Engine
Gideon
Aluminum Park
Smokin from Shootin
Touch me Pt 2
Off the Record
What a Wonderful Man
Dondonte

Oooh, it's a good list, I approve :) I've felt the need to custom tailor my mixed CD according to the taste of the person receiving them, so for my up-beat-I-like-to-listen-to-music-while-I-clean-mum I'd pick only fast songs on the more cheerful side (just as a gateway ofc) and for my I-like-to-chill-and-listen-to-acoustic-songs-before-going-to-sleep-friend I'd pick only acoustic songs. But like you said, this list would definitely be good for showing the variety of the music.  :)

Great songs rincon...but the list is too long.  Just because the cd-r holds 80 minutes, doesn't mean you have to fill it.  This is going to be over-load for most (if not all) of your fine recipients.  So much so, that they may not be able to listen to it again.  :-/

I agree with Sara...take the time to find the best songs for their best recipient.  It looks like you have ISM, Z and EU...there's enough material in those three cds to turn them on.  I would put no more than 9 songs on there.  11-12 is my typical limit, but if you're doing a mass conversion, 9 songs will leave them wanting more.    ;)

"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

rincon

Wordless Chorus
Golden
One Big Holiday
Run Thru
Highly Suspicious
Thank You Too!
Two Halves
Librarian
Steam Engine
Gideon
Aluminum Park
Smokin from Shootin
Touch me Pt 2
Off the Record
What a Wonderful Man
Dondonte

Great songs rincon...but the list is too long.  Just because the cd-r holds 80 minutes, doesn't mean you have to fill it.  This is going to be over-load for most (if not all) of your fine recipients.  So much so, that they may not be able to listen to it again.  :-/

I agree with Sara...take the time to find the best songs for their best recipient.  It looks like you have ISM, Z and EU...there's enough material in those three cds to turn them on.  I would put no more than 9 songs on there.  11-12 is my typical limit, but if you're doing a mass conversion, 9 songs will leave them wanting more.    ;)

Interesting point. Never entered my head. I personally feel the more the merrier, but your point is well taken. I never understood the idea that an album was too long. If it cast 15 bucks for 45 minutes, or 70 minutes, I'll take the 70.
 I actually set the order to impress with the variety as quick as possible to get them interested, then thinking more is good. Already burned about 5, we will see if anything comes from it.

SaraBananaBear

Wordless Chorus
Golden
One Big Holiday
Run Thru
Highly Suspicious
Thank You Too!
Two Halves
Librarian
Steam Engine
Gideon
Aluminum Park
Smokin from Shootin
Touch me Pt 2
Off the Record
What a Wonderful Man
Dondonte

Interesting point. Never entered my head. I personally feel the more the merrier, but your point is well taken. I never understood the idea that an album was too long. If it cast 15 bucks for 45 minutes, or 70 minutes, I'll take the 70.
 I actually set the order to impress with the variety as quick as possible to get them interested, then thinking more is good. Already burned about 5, we will see if anything comes from it.

Hm, didn't think of this earlier, but I agree it might be wise to start off with just a few songs. Once they're hooked you can give them MMJ - the Ricon mix (original edition), but maybe a slimmed down version for now.  :) People need some time and repetition to start recognizing/liking the songs, so a few songs, then repeat, repeat, repeat, commercial radio knows this all too well... ;)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

ralph

I just did this yesterday (even though I should be looking for work...) Shes a Pearl Jam nut so I'm working with good taste.  Anyways tracklist was:

At Dawn
One Big Holiday (Okonokos)
The Bear
Evil Urges
Honest Man
It's About Twilight Now
Wordless Chorus
How Could I Know
Lay Low
Golden
O Is The One Who Is Real (Okonokos)
Smokin From Shootin
Dondante (Okonokos)
Steam Engine

I was pretty happy with how it flowed. We should have another fan amongst us by the end of the week...
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

Tracy 3000

QuoteI just did this yesterday (even though I should be looking for work...) Shes a Pearl Jam nut so I'm working with good taste.  Anyways tracklist was:

At Dawn
The Bear
Evil Urges
Honest Man
It's About Twilight Now
Wordless Chorus
How Could I Know
Lay Low
Golden
Smokin From Shootin
Dondante (Okonokos)
Steam Engine

I was pretty happy with how it flowed. We should have another fan amongst us by the end of the week...

essential to all my MMJ mixes
Jim brings all his love, passion, energy and mystery to the stage and says, "I'm right here."

ralph

QuoteI just did this yesterday (even though I should be looking for work...) Shes a Pearl Jam nut so I'm working with good taste.  Anyways tracklist was:

At Dawn
The Bear
Evil Urges
Honest Man
It's About Twilight Now
Wordless Chorus
How Could I Know
Lay Low
Golden
Smokin From Shootin
Dondante (Okonokos)
Steam Engine

essential to all my MMJ mixes

O totally!
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

rincon

Well, I got one response from an old friend in Paso Robles. She has already ordered several CDs from Amazon. She is in her 50's, never heard of them, and now claims they are her favorite band.

e_wind

I've recently been making this journey with my sister. Shes a special breed though, doesn't really get rock n roll in general. The first CD i made her was all love songs, including take my breath away. She asked for another! the second one was all their hits, minus the songs she had. I also threw a Tribute To song and two MoF songs on there, as well as the Rainbow Connection cover. We'll see how she responds.  I also started with Wordless Chorus on the 2nd CD. Now she's asking me about the The Black Keys... that will be a harder experiment.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

rusty95

For the females "It beats for you" has to be on there.  IMO
Y'all got any disco ball back there?

e_wind

QuoteFor the females "It beats for you" has to be on there.  IMO

I just wanna clarify that I made an album full of love songs for my sister because thts what she's into... NOT because she's a female.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

gardenparty

Here's a fairly short one i'd give to a n00b :)
1. Gideon
2. Touch Me...Part 1
3. Mahgeetah
4. Lowdown
5. They Ran (Candles & Panties)
6. It Beats 4 U
7. Phone Went West
8. Off the Record
9. Bermuda Highway
10. Old Sept Blues
11. One Big Holiday
12. Dondante (okonokos) or Smokin from Shootin

johnnYYac

Lately, I've been giving folks It Still Moves.  If that doesn't do the trick, MMJ ain't for them.  Its got it all pretty well covered.  

And it pretty much fills a CD-R.

1. Mahgeetah
2. Dancefloors
3. Golden
4. Masterplan
5. One Big Holiday
6. I Will Sing You Songs
7. Easy Morning Rebel
8. Run Thru
9. Rollin Back
10. Just One Thing
11. Steam Engine
12. One In The Same

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Honest Man

QuoteLately, I've been giving folks It Still Moves.  If that doesn't do the trick, MMJ ain't for them.  Its got it all pretty well covered.  

And it pretty much fills a CD-R.

1. Mahgeetah
2. Dancefloors
3. Golden
4. Masterplan
5. One Big Holiday
6. I Will Sing You Songs
7. Easy Morning Rebel
8. Run Thru
9. Rollin Back
10. Just One Thing
11. Steam Engine
12. One In The Same

Same here and once they are hooked then you can lace them with the goodies.
The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

gardenparty

Feel free to flame but It Still Moves is my least favorite MMJ album :-[

johnnYYac

QuoteFeel free to flame but It Still Moves is my least favorite MMJ album :-[

I don't judge others' musical tastes, with a few exceptions.  I'm curious if you could put them into order, favorite to least.  Mine would be (for today, at least):

It Still Moves
Z
At Dawn
The Tennessee Fire
Evil Urges

I really struggle ranking the middle three.  It changes constantly.  Its really more of a three-way tie.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

gardenparty

I don't judge others' musical tastes, with a few exceptions.  I'm curious if you could put them into order, favorite to least.  Mine would be (for today, at least):

It Still Moves
Z
At Dawn
The Tennessee Fire
Evil Urges

I really struggle ranking the middle three.  It changes constantly.  Its really more of a three-way tie.

I'd rank 'em:
1. At Dawn
2. Tennesee Fire (not great production but the songs are the best)
3. Z
4. Evil Urges
5. It Still Moves

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy ISM.  I Will Sing Your Songs is one of my favorites.  It's just least liked of the lot.

Crispy

It Still Moves
Z
At Dawn
The Tennessee Fire
Evil Urges

I'd rank 'em:
1. At Dawn
3. Z
4. Evil Urges
5. It Still Moves

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy ISM.  I Will Sing Your Songs is one of my favorites.  It's just least liked of the lot.
I'm sorry, I get you wrong. This strikes me as a bit of an It-Still-Moves-is-the-most-popular-record-so-I'm-making-it-my-least-popular reaction. Based on your criterion for The Tennessee Fire, I just cannot see how the quality of songs on ISM could be put at the bottom. It's closer in style and songwriting to TTF than EU, by miles, I think. But then, it's your taste, and if you just don't like it as much as the others, that's all there is to it.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

gardenparty

It Still Moves
Z
At Dawn
The Tennessee Fire
Evil Urges

I'd rank 'em:
1. At Dawn
3. Z
4. Evil Urges
5. It Still Moves

I'm sorry, I get you wrong. This strikes me as a bit of an It-Still-Moves-is-the-most-popular-record-so-I'm-making-it-my-least-popular reaction.

:(
err. that's not it.  I'm 32 years old and have a serious job.  Like to think i'm very much beyond worrying about things like that.

the album has just never grabbed me like the others.  That's it