What's your "White Whale"?

Started by Johnny_Yac, Dec 03, 2010, 10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

A while back, I posted about my need to see Steam Engine live, a dream finally realized at my 5th and 7th shows.

Here's a pic I made at the time.

So, anyway, now I'm trying to determine what my next White Whale will be.  I've yet to see War Begun, love that ending jam with Jim drifting into the zone.  

Then, of course, there's The Bear (forever.....).  Not yet.

Strangulation would be awesome!  I just listened to the lyrics intently for the first time a few weeks ago.  I'm embarassed to admit I'd listened to, and loved, this tune for 2 years without fully absorbing awesome lyrics.  It was like being reborn.

Just One Thing, Rollin Back, Masterplan, Dancefloors- like Steam Engine, there be many a tune from It Still Moves that eludes me, aarghh!  

I'm not sure what my next obsession will be.  Perhaps this thread will help.

What's that one song that has eluded you?  The one you yearn for at every show, holding out hope, yet to be realized?

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

mahg33ta

T5 certainly affects this question.   Prior to that, I'm sure lots of people had lots of answers for you.   For those lucky enough to see all 5 shows, I bet their answers now are not so easy to come up with, or are getting pretty obscure (sweetheart? hard helmet?)

For you and me and others that missed some or all of T5, there remains songs to bag.   For me, it's definitely The Bear and many other Tennessee Fire songs.

Jaimoe

"I Will Be There When You Die".

I witnessed this song recently, but it was with Monsters of Folk - and Conor sang half the verses. I'd kill to hear this live by Jim/MMJ.

johnnYYac

Yeah, it occurred to me, after I started this thread, that T5 5-timers need not apply.  Still, they are the minority on this forum and have had their fun.  

ALady

There's still a couple covers I would really like to see.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

kydiddle

JY you crack me the hell up. You managed to combine two of my favorite things (MMJ and Gregory Peck) into one hilarious post.
Cow temperature.

e_wind

I've seen all of ISM except Rollin' Back, so maybe that.
Strangulation has been my "White Whale" for a long time.
Then there's The Bear, They Ran, Hopefully, IWBTWYD.

All in all I'd say Rollin' Back because of the rarity factor. (Only been played 3 times non-t5 I believe). But I do like the song Strangulation better AND its rare.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

johnnYYac

QuoteI've seen all of ISM except Rollin' Back, so maybe that.
Strangulation has been my "White Whale" for a long time.
Then there's The Bear, They Ran, Hopefully, IWBTWYD.

All in all I'd say Rollin' Back because of the rarity factor. (Only been played 3 times non-t5 I believe). But I do like the song Strangulation better AND its rare.
Check the tapings section, where I posted the 9-19-08 Berkeley Greek Theatre show, which includes Rollin Back.  

http://www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1291491163

I'm working on uploading the 2-part video that uses this taping for the audio track.  The camera work is uneven, at best, but I burned a DVD of this show and found it watchable.  Such a great setlist, good energy, Jim just before his fall from the stage a few weeks later in Iowa.  Other gems (and some potential White Whales for me) include PWW, War Begun, Cobra, and Dancefloors.  Also, the entire Run Thru and Lay Low (sorely missed after months of just the end jams of the 2010 shows).

wolof7

Strangulation!!! Honest Man!!!

Also a great big giant white whale would be to see jim play 'if it smashes down>i needed it most' with a banjo on my family's cabin's porch in upstate New Hampshire, with all my loved ones to witness!
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

johnnYYac

QuoteStrangulation!!! Honest Man!!!

Also a great big giant white whale would be to see jim play 'if it smashes down>i needed it most' with a banjo on my family's cabin's porch in upstate New Hampshire, with all my loved ones to witness!
Forgive me for asking, but as a native and current resident of New Hampshire, where might this cabin be?  I'm curious, in part because I've never heard anyone in NH refer to "upstate" before.

Along the lines of your IISD>INIM banjo fantasy, by biggest White Whale of all is to have Jim James record the vocal track to accompany my Omnichord instrumental cover of Bermuda Highway.

EasyRyder

Honest Man, How Could I Know, and I Think I'm Going To Hell.

Really thought they'd play the last one this Halloween. Alas, I wasn't very lucky with setlist variation last tour...

Hopefully the 2011 voyage will haul in one or two of these juicy whales  ;D
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

johnnYYac

I think I've boiled it down to either War Begun or The Bear.  It might be a tie; two whales!  Damn!

FiddleCastro

Devil's Peanut Butter, of course  ;)
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

wolof7

Forgive me for asking, but as a native and current resident of New Hampshire, where might this cabin be?  I'm curious, in part because I've never heard anyone in NH refer to "upstate" before.

Along the lines of your IISD>INIM banjo fantasy, by biggest White Whale of all is to have Jim James record the vocal track to accompany my Omnichord instrumental cover of Bermuda Highway.

It's in the Conway area, forget the name of the town. My family just started with it as a timeshare for 3 weeks, 2 in the summer, one in the winter for the skiiers. I'm from RI and did not know 'upstate nh' is not proper it will be dually noted but for explanation sake I figured it's easier to say.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

johnnYYac

It's in the Conway area, forget the name of the town. My family just started with it as a timeshare for 3 weeks, 2 in the summer, one in the winter for the skiiers. I'm from RI and did not know 'upstate nh' is not proper it will be dually noted but for explanation sake I figured it's easier to say.
Now, just because folks in NH don't say "upstate" doesn't make it improper.  We're hardly proper up here. :)

e_wind

QuoteDevil's Peanut Butter, of course  ;)

What's the deal with this song. Everytime I ask people seem to ignore me. As far as I know: they put it on a compilation and never acknowledged it again.  
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

weeniebeenie

I'd love to see X-mas Curtain or Strangulation!
Although I might cry like a baby if it happened...
How loud can silence get?

Cameron

ALady

QuoteDevil's Peanut Butter, of course  ;)

What's the deal with this song. Everytime I ask people seem to ignore me. As far as I know: they put it on a compilation and never acknowledged it again.  

Not sure what the story is with it but it's a great little tune, and I'll echo Fiddle - would love to see it live.

Here's the Steam Engine's take (with link to download):

http://thesteamengine.blogspot.com/2009/03/my-morning-jacket-devils-peanut-butter.html
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

johnnYYac

I have this in a file that reads Sundance Film Festival 2007.  I'm checking to see if its kosher to share before (re)posting a link to download.  I note it seems to have been removed from the Steam Engine blog, too.  We gotta respect the band when they don't want certain tracks put out in public, though I assumed DPB was released, along the lines of the Louisville is for Lovers series, with a number of Jacket tunes (Good Morning Dove, Epichord, etc.).