Main Menu

LA Night #1

Started by goldengator, Oct 12, 2003, 11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldengator

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I have been building last nights show up in my mind for months and it lived up to all my expectations and totally blew them out of the water. Holy crap!! I cant believe what energy and passion MMJ throws down in every song....its a
full sonic assult on your senses, if youre not ready for it they may induce wiplash!! "Mahgeeta>Dancefloors" was a perfect combo for an opener. Followed by a note-perfect version of "Masterplan." I wish i would have kept
a setlist but i was too busy dancing and sweating my ass off in that hot room. Jim said, "I feel like im beef cooking under the heat lamp at 'Arbys' up here!!"
Hilarious!! :-) When they busted into "The Way that He Sings" i freaking lost it....as its my fav MMJ tune by far. The song is just a universal feeling of joy you experience when listening to music, live or at home.

"One Big Holiday" is just a monster live, as were "Run Thru"(most powerful drums EVER), "Lowdown," "X Mas Curtain," and "Heartbreaking Man." All the softer songs were incredibly well played also such as; "I Will Sing You
Songs," "Rollin Back," and "Steam Engine," however occasionally plagued by a poor sound mix. The Roxy is not one of my fav venues in LA, that is for sure. Too hot, $8 drinks, jerk staff, no ins and outs to get air or have a smoke, its too dark and seedy looking, extremely loud PA, the Sunset Strip is about as fake and plastic as you get, etc. I really hope they play the Henry Fonda or maybe
House of Blues next time around.

Jim came out solo for "I'll be there When You Die"," "By My Car," and "Golden," and for the most part people were respectful except for the drunks by the bar. Everyone up front was fully engaged in the show. Not sure what the first encore was...very pretty song, then followed by the Reggae-meets-Black Sabbath-cathartic 2nd encore of "Phone Went West." Bravo!!

I saw Cameron Crowe there again and he remembered meeting me from my 1st MMJ show at the Troubador in May. Pretty fucking cool... hes definitely going again tonight. Id love to make it as well, but have a dinner engagement and work to get done. Im not worried though as ill be seeing a lot of this band for the rest of my life!!

I havent see such an honest display of pure rock and roll, love, power, emotion, soul, and overall joy for music in years. Everyone says the White Stripes, Strokes, etc are bringing back rock and roll. Sure, those bands have
elements of Rock and Blues they are recycling back(i like them all), but MMJ is the first band that is TRUE Rock and Roll again in my mind. I feel like i finally have a Led Zeppelin for my generation. Being that the band is around
my age(27), i just look up there in awe....and cannot wait to watch this band just blow up and take over the world. They have such a big sound i can only imagine what it would sound like in an arena.

Savor where this band is now...see as many shows you can in small venues, because it will not last forever. They are going to be insanley huge, and i wish them all the success in the world.

I love this band,

Erik

peanut butter puddin surprise

What a killer report...thanks for the lowdown!

It's always cool to hear other people's take on the shows that they go to.   8)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Rocky Montbriand

The show Saturday night kicked ass. Luckily, I brought earplugs. MMJ was so freakin loud. I found it a surprise to see Eric Heywood (pedal steel player for Jay Farrar)at the show and Patrick Park was a great opening act.