The Headliner's Stand

Started by johnconaway, Aug 28, 2003, 12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Wilhelm

Just ran over to Ear X-tacy, they still have a handful of tickets left for Saturday.  Cash only, no fees.  [fyi-I needed one and asked for them to hold it, but they refused (policy).]

Scott D

If anyone still needs tickets for the Louisville shows, it looks like I might have 1 extra ticket for Friday night and 2 extra tickets for Saturday night.  Send me an email at duthie@iglou.com and we can work out the details.  I paid $12 each, and that's all I'm looking to get in return.

Less than 12 hours 'til showtime!
-Scott

otter

Jackson, John, Danilove, Jezebel....and to all of the Louisville die hards that I didn't get to meet at the Dylan show...I wish I were coming down for these shows in the worst way. I just couldn't make it happen..but I'll be waiting to hear how it was. Y'all have fun tonight

jacksoncooper

Otter,

I can barely wait.  It should be one hell of a weekend; too bad you couldn't make it down.  I'll be driving my tractor and wearing my overalls to the shows in your honor. :o

Doors open in five hours!

peanut butter puddin surprise

I made it back from Montreal...and just woke up from a good nap.  Damn, travelling at 3 a.m. makes one weary!

I'm gonna be there with bells on, right before 8.  See y'all there!
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Okay, here's the skinny on last night's kick ass show.

First and foremost, the boys were havin' a fucking great time playing.  They seemed to enjoy every note, giving 140% (as Conan would say)...the crowd surfing bear was an added treat!  Scissor kicks, flaying guitars...holy shite!

The sound was just incredible.  Song after song was just freakin' awesome.  "Run Thru" live was like I imagined it, only better.  "Steam Engine" just gave me chills.

Tonight is somehow gonna top last night?  Man, I'd like to see that!  

MMJ fucking rocks.  Period.  8)

stu

John.. what's up? Last night in Lousiville was my 3rd time seeing MMJ, and they absolutely surprised and amazed me. I don't know if it was playing to the hometown crowd or what, but they blew me away. I don't see how Friday could have topped Sat. night. It was totally worth the 6hr round-trip from Murfreesboro. The sound in Headliners was perfect compared to Tasty World (Athens,GA) and Exit/In (Nashville) where I'd seen them before. And, er, the Headliner's beer girls were also I sight to see. I need to make the trip to Louisville more often.
Does anyone have a setlist of last night's show?

side note: That was really sad about the MMJ fans who were killed in the car crash after Friday night's show. It was really good of Jim to dedicate last night's show to them.

Hey Stu;
You must be Discostu from CMJ!  Or at least that's my semi-educated speculation...Tenn., driving 6 hours...

Yeah, really fucking sad about those two folks.  I was shocked to hear that news, and moved by Jim's words.

The hometown shows were definitely off the chain.  The guys were a bit nervous, playing before the hometown sold out, two nights crowd...but they deliver the goods like Santa crossbred with the Postman and UPS...on time, every time!

Glad you made it here, sorry we didn't hook up...the crowd was huge!  Until next time...I'll see ya round the CMJ board!

John

P.S.  The beer girls are a new "attraction" at Headliner's...or is it just me?  :o

WillCo

Hey everyone, this is my first post here : )

Wow, my ears are still ringing from last night's show. This was my first time in Louisville and my first time to see MMJ. I spent nine hours in a car (eighteen round-trip) and skipped an Auburn home football game to get there but the second MMJ took the stage I knew I had made a great decision. That was by far one of the best concerts I've ever seen. I don't think I've ever seen a band play with that much energy. They didn't let up for over two hours.

I was really impressed with the city of Louisville. The people in the Bardstown Rd area (I think it's the Highlands?) were cool and the MMJ crowd was very friendly. The band seems like they're great guys too. It was touching how Jim dedicated the show to the kids that died Friday. I'm glad I was close enough to shake his hand at the end.

I was thinking about going to the Athens GA show before yesterday but as I walked out of Headliners last night it wasn't even a question. I can't wait to see them again.

Anyone have a selist?

rhombus-leech

Last night's show kicked ass!  My ears are still ringing!!  I took a ton of pictures.  I was front row center for the entire show, so I got some excellent shots.  Nearly got kicked in the head and smacked by Jim's guitar I was so close.. heheh.  Here's a link to the pictures, let me know what you think:

http://www.geocities.com/alfredkrook/mmj/mmj.html

For those looking for a copy of the setlist from Saturday, I've got a picture of it on my site.

Also, does anyone know how to go about submitting pictures to be posted on the gallery here?

WillCo

I must have been really close to you. I was very close to the front in the middle, right behind the tall guy. My friend (short, dark-haired girl) was probably right next to you taking pictures. She's supposed to email me when she gets them uploaded.

CC

Quoteauthor=rhombus-leech
Also, does anyone know how to go about submitting pictures to be posted on the gallery here?

consider it done! ;)

CC

coolpix from saturday's show are online!
(thanks to george thompson)

more coming soon

cdale

Hello Everyone.

I put some pictures up from Saturday.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/c/d/cdale/

Enjoy!

rhombus-leech

WillCo - I was indeed standing right next to your friend (the short dark haired girl in the 'BAMA' sweatshirt).  How did her pictures turn out?  

Those pictures by George Thompson on the site are awesome.  Anyone know what kind of camera he was using?  I saw someone standing off to the left side of the stage taking pictures with what looked like a pretty sweet camera.  I'm assuming it was him.

I also noticed a few people videotaping the show with some pretty nice camcorders.  One was set up in the sound booth area and I spotted a handheld one in the area roped off next to the stage.  I also noticed that the soundboard guy recorded the show into his Mac laptop.  Are there plans of a DVD or something coming out?  If not, we've got to find out how we can get a hold of copies for the FTP.  I would kill for a copy of the show on video.. killlll I say.... LOL j/k, but seriously, I really would love a copy of that show.

CC

QuoteThose pictures by George Thompson on the site are awesome.  Anyone know what kind of camera he was using?

Canon EOS1D digital

ps. did you get my mail?

CC

more photos in the gallery from both nights

rhombus-leech

CC - I got your mail.. did you get my response?

CC

marktwain

Setlist for Friday
Mahgeetah
Dancefloors
Masterplan
Heartbreakin' Man
The Way that He Sings
Just One Thing
Lowdown
Xmas Curtain
One Big Holiday
I Will Sing You Songs
Steam Engine
Run Thru
------------
Jim Acoustic I think it was:
I Still Miss Someone (Johnny Cash)
Bermuda Highway
Golden
Strangulation
-------------
Sooner
Evelyn is not Real
Easy Morning Rebel
Phone Went West

Correct me if I;m wrong about the acoustic  set.
As far as Saturday's set - Honest Man is listed, but wasn't played.  And Rollin' Back was conspicuously absent both nights.  Man I love thaat song.  But I guess they can't play them all. :-/