so anyone going to the dallas show?

Started by BeatTheDiese, Oct 14, 2003, 04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeatTheDiese

i'm going by myself i think. as of now i can't find anyone to go with me. sucks going to shows alone but they will be worth it for sure.
- Adam

tinyorangepig

the tinyorangepig will be there.  look for him in the corner.  its hard for him to see sometimes as he is so tiny.

no really though, the tea room side of the gypsy tea room is small.  i have a feeling it is gonna get its shit rocked.

t.o.p.

tinyorangepig

see....look at that little tiny stage on the tea room side.

2500 square feet.  prepare yourself.

http://www.gypsytearoom.com/gypsyfloorplan.htm

BeatTheDiese

i just saw local h there last week and they rocked me to russia man. as for it being really packed, it could be but i doubt it will be that crowded because built to spill is playing in the other part of the tearoom.
- Adam

peanut butter puddin surprise

Damn it, I was this close to bein' there, but it didn't work out.

Say howdy to the boys for me.   :'(
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

tinyorangepig

sure, BTS may get some folks, but MMJ is the main story in the dallas observer this week, and there is an interesting ad in there from good records (the best darn records store in town) that says "the best live performance you will see all year" and that is alot from the boys that manage the polyphonic spree (who is another great live act).  so i think there shall be some dallas buzz, but hopefully not too many wankers there talking and such.  hopefully they will be ready to rock.

t.o.p.

BeatTheDiese

you think it will sell out before sat?
- Adam

tinyorangepig

it never hurts to have a ticket in hand.

hutch

Hey Adam,
Have no fear, my friend! I go to shows alone all the time. I always meet the neatest people that way. But if'n yer feelin' lonely, say hi to the short chick with shoulder-length blond hair(me) who might be there alone as well.

PS did ya'll see that South San Gabriel is opening for MMJ in Europe? Why can't that kind of coolness happen here? (cuz this is dallas, duh)

BeatTheDiese

i used to go to shows alone in austin and it wasn't that fun, just watching everyone conversing while i sat there alone sucked. i'm no good at meeting new people in that kind of situation, i'm a wuss. i might say hi to you if i'm pretty confident that it's you. other wise maybe you can pick me out, i'll be wearing a white local h ringer shirt and i'll probably be by myself but someone could be there with me. very doubtful at this point though. and yeah i have a ticket on will call. i was just wondering if you guys thought it might sell out
- Adam

tinyorangepig

i dont think it will sell out.  it will be one of those deep ellum shows that has a very long line outside.  a mix of people with and without tickets.  all will get in, but as it gets later into the evening, maybe around 11:30-midnight, you probably would not be able to get in unless you have a ticket.

as previously mentioned the place is tiny, and people are really interested in checking out this band.  plus its a saturday night in the big d.

if you have a ticket, why are your worried about it selling out?

t.o.p.

BeatTheDiese

well i was just thinking in terms of if i found someone that wanted to go with me, should they get a ticket before or at the door. but yeah that place is tiny i've seen nada surf, verbena, and local h all their in the past 4 or 5 monthes and when lots of people go it's really wall to wall people and hard to move around. they should have played trees or something.
- Adam

mudcrutch

I went to see grandaddy at the gypsy tea room by myself and ended up meating Wayne from The Flaming Lips. It was a good night.

hutch

yeah I was there (by myself) and everyone was bothering the poor guy, i felt bad for him. I thought Grandaddy was boring, but Super Furry Animals rocked quite decisively.

hutch

ok, so this old ass got thoroughly rocked last night. Damn. Been a few years since i saw a show like that. i can't believe the crowd was so sedate-i couldn't stop moving.

BeatTheDiese

yeah it was awesome. here's the the songs i remember being played.

magheeta
dance floors
master plan
heartbreakin man
the way that he sings
low down
one big holiday
bremuda highway (jim)
deathis the easy way (jim)
golden (jim)

and i'm sure i'm missing some songs too.
- Adam

tinyorangepig

here are a couple more

steam engine
run thru

closed with phone went west

great show, the crowd was a little lame.  them boys are rocking, rock with them

seemed a little short to me, but good nonetheless

BeatTheDiese

i can't believe i forgot to list phone went west, that was one of my favorites!
- Adam

tinyorangepig

http://www.dallasnews.com/entertainment/overnight/stories/102003dnovemorning.5df37.html

here is the actual text....

Review: My Morning Jacket keeps it rootsy
09:42 PM CDT on Sunday, October 19, 2003

By CRAYTON HARRISON / The Dallas Morning News

Imagine if Creedence Clearwater Revival lost the boogie and started writing lullabies.

This is what Kentucky's My Morning Jacket sounds like on record. Bluesy guitars, often fingerpicked, chirp along with a mid-tempo drumbeat. Lead singer Jim James soaks his big tenor vocals in reverb and lets them roll out like an ocean wave.

During Saturday night's performance at the Gypsy Tea Room, Mr. James' microphone produced that same ghostly echo, making him sound as if he was singing inside a cave, gorgeous and eerie.

And the band turned up the guitars in the mix, putting on a display of Skynyrd-esque solo work to turn the lullabies back into rock.

Mr. James and guitarist Johnny Quaid headbanged through the night, pumping their fists in between songs, their faces completely covered by long, wild hair. Mr. Quaid sounded as if he were part of a roadhouse bar band, bending his guitar's howls and bellows into shrieks and wails.

The theatrics could have quickly descended into "Freebird"-like extended jams, enjoyable but aimless. But Mr. James, the main songwriter, writes very intricate arrangements that require pace and structure. That tightness kept the band focused and kept the audience's eyes from glazing over.

Songs such as "Steam Engine," which clocks in at more than seven minutes on record, seemed like marathon, improvised rock-out sessions live, but the chord changes and cymbal crashes had been carefully planned.

Even when the band quieted down for more subdued songs, Mr. James' voice was captivating enough to hold the room's attention. The spooky reverb effect didn't obscure how resonant his voice was when he hit those long, high notes.

That ethereal voice creates a little mystique, which Mr. James perpetuated by shrouding his face with his hair and speaking very seldom to the enthusiastic crowd.

My Morning Jacket's latest record, this year's stellar It Still Moves , was the group's first release affiliated with a major label. The jump up from a tiny imprint appears to have widened the fan base from the young indie-rock listeners who began championing the band four years ago.

Saturday's audience was an even mix of older and younger fans, men and women – an indication of how accessible My Morning Jacket's smartly composed country-rock is.

Opening act Patrick Park, playing a solo acoustic guitar set, showed some nice songwriting talent himself. But Mr. Park's vocals have only one very loud volume setting, which got a little tedious and could have been adjusted by moving the microphone a few inches away from his mouth.

E-mail charrison@dallasnews.com

dl5192

My intro to MMJ was last year when the Doves played in Dallas.  I remember the band coming on and thinking "what's up with the hair"?  It only took one song for me to think that MMJ was one of the best bands I had heard in a long time.

I was at the show on Saturday and I brought a couple of people who had never heard the band.  Both left saying it was one of the best live shows they had ever seen.  I had to agree with them.  A MMJ show is an amazing thing.

I love their CDs, but I would sure like to have a CD of a show.  Does anyone know if they plan to release any live material?