MMJ up for Jammy Award!

Started by LaurieBlue, Feb 23, 2006, 03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2006-02-23-jammy-noms_x.htm
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=1654355&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

Just came down through USAToday AND ABC News..this is going to be all over the place.  NICE article and plugs.  LOVE THIS BAND! :-)

By the way, the article basically states it's not all about jam bands anymore, it's about the live performances.  

ChiefOKONO

My Morning Jacket, moe. and Benevento Russo Duo lead Jammy noms; Zappa tribute planned

By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY
AP Music Writer

NEW YORK (AP) — Dweezil Zappa will participate in a special tribute to his late dad, Frank Zappa, while My Morning Jacket, Ryan Adams and the North Mississippi All-Stars will be among the acts vying for key awards at the sixth annual Jammy Awards.
The Jammys, which will be held April 20 at The Theater in Madison Square Garden, honor and celebrate the improvisational music scene and live musical performances. Each year the show's lineup tends to overshadow the actual award winners, with buzz-worthy performances from unique pairings of performers. Past highlights included Buddy Guy and John Mayer, and the reunion of Black Crowes brothers Chris and Rich Robinson.
Peter Shapiro, one of the show's producers, told The Associated Press on Thursday that this year's nominees indicate that "we're moving out of the Grateful Dead, Phish world and into a new era with new bands taking over the mantle for great live music; the torch is being passed."
My Morning Jacket, the jam band moe. and the eclectic Benevento Russo Duo are each nominated for three Jammys. Shapiro said the nomination of the rock group My Morning Jacket "demonstrates this scene embraces music other than what's at its core."
Other multiple nominees include Ryan Adams, Widespread Panic and the Allman Brothers.
Among the acts slated to perform are Blues Traveler, Bela Fleck & the Flecktones, Richie Havens, Savion Glover, Angelique Kidjo and Bettye Lavette. More acts are to be added to the bill later.
This year's Jammy Awards will kick off the Green Apple Music and Arts Festival, a four-day music festival at various venues in New York City.
———
On the Net:
[www.jammys.com]

BH

Nice!  Make sure everyone goes to jammys.com to vote!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

MyLifeISought

Yeah, i was about to make that post. VOTE VOTE VOTE!!!! And vote for Kicking Television as well, cuz it rocked the fuck out
"Music is my savior
I was tamed by rock and roll
I was maimed by rock and roll
Got my name from rock and roll"
-Wilco

primushead

QuoteYeah, i was about to make that post. VOTE VOTE VOTE!!!! And vote for Kicking Television as well, cuz it rocked the fuck out

One of the best live albums I've ever listened to.   :)

MMJacket

Make sure vote in at least 5 categories!  I voted for the three that MMJ is in only to find out that my vote won't count because I didn't vote enough.

Angry Ewok

That's bullshit... so if I'm uncertain about a category, I should just pick randomly?

Too late, I already voted in the 4 categories I wanted to.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

CC

EC

I voted.

But then I got scared.  If they win these awards, does that mean that more jamband kids will come to shows?  

JUUUUUST KIIIIIDDING.

dragonboy

I voted a few days ago.
Have to confess, I was close to going for Grace Potter and the Nocturnals's Toothbrush And My Table instead of Off The Record  ;)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Dee.

Egads, I haven't voted yet.

*does so now*