Birmingham Show

Started by Wiehls, Dec 29, 2003, 04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiehls

Anyone else heading to Birmingham... assuming the show doesn't get canceled?  

Even better -- if there are any Birmingham natives out there who are familiar with the venue and the neighborhood -- what's the closest hotel?  It's always nice to park at the hotel and walk to the show (and stagger back).

See you there!

Zmog1974

Hotel info would be cool. Im heading over to this show from England..i just bought my tickets. Gonna go on a little road trip aswell. Starting in New Orleans 1st night,then drive up to Hattiesburg Mississippi to see relatives for the night followed by the trip to Birmingham on the 16th.On the 17th i will head to Atlanta...what an amazing line up. Patrick Park, The Thrills & MMJ all on the same bill. THis show is gonna be outstanding. The Thrills are an irish band you cannot get tickets for love or money in the U.K to see them, they are huge. There sound is very American although i say they are a bit weak...they have some catchy tunes though. They will be a nice filler in between Patrick Park and MMJ. Check out Patrick Parks New Album "Loneliness knows my name"its amazing. Though i must admit it wasnt instant , it took a few listens. I cannot get it off my stereo now..definitely one of the best albums of 2003 alongside of course ISM..Ween-Quebec,Sleepy Jackson-Lovers. Is was then a decision to go and see MMJ again on the 18th IN Knoxville or Patrick Park with the Thrills In Nashville..As i wanna see Nashville and Patrick is playing with his full band rather than solo and the fact that ive already seen MMJ eight times this year(i state there can never be to many times seeing MMJ live)i thought I should go too Nashville, besides Jim and the boys will think im a stalker...hehehe.
On the way back a little stop off in Memphis and a trip to Graceland..should finish the week off nicely.Well if theres any locals who wanna meet up for a beer ata the above shows..then i'll buy you a beer. Anyway people keep smiling and talk to you all soon. By the way i cannot afford this trip but hey you only live once.

Wiehls

So glad to hear you are going to Memphis while you are in the U.S.!  Graceland is AMAZING.  You'll love it.  You must also go to Sun Studios!

See you at the Birmingham show (and Atlanta) -- I'll be up front!  Wonder how many folks will be there.

Adron

I should be heading up to the Birmingham show. The venue (//www.workplay.com) is a really great, intimate place to see a show. I don't know about hotels in the area, since I'm not from Birmingham, but I don't think there are any. It's just off the campus of the University of Alabama at Birmingham, and not exactly in the best part of town. I'm trying to get some of my friends from around Birmingham to come out to the show to turn them on to a new band. If I'm driving 5 hours for it, they can drive for one hour!
Hope to meet some of y'all there, and smog1974, I just may take you up on that beer!  :) Try to catch a show in Hattiesburg if you can...there's some good bands in that area.

Esquire

Me and a friend will be at the B'ham show too.

I'm so excited.  I'm peeing my pants just thinking about it.
i can hear the heart beating as one.

WillCo

I'm going to this show with about 12 of my friends. I'm coming from Auburn and most of them are coming from Tuscaloosa. My sister lives in B'ham so I can ask her about local hotels if yall still need that info.

I've never been to the Workplay but I hear it's a really nice intimate place.

I'm really excited about this show. I've been dying to see MMJ again ever since I saw them in Louisville in September (or was it October?).

See yall there, hopefully right up front.

p.s. I'll be turning 21 that night  :)

WillCo

Another thing: the show sold out yesterday morning. Awesome.

t-townmmjfan

Hey,

This is my first post, but I read stuff on here a good bit.  I went to the Birmingham show and just got back to Tuscaloosa.  Anyway, the show was really great, but very different from their past shows.  When the band came out, Johnny Quaid and Danny Cash were nowhere to be found.  Of course, this really threw me off for a little while.  Was "my" MMJ and their distinct sound soon to be a thing of the past?  I knew that Johnny has been having medical problems and the band said there was a possibility that they might have to find a replacement, but that was a hard pill to swallow.  I didn't know, however, there was also a chance of Danny not returning for this leg of the tour, but nevertheless he had also been replaced.  
     I can't remember the names of the "new" (I have no idea if these guys are permanent or just temporary) members of the band, but I must say that they sounded great and did a wonderful job.  I think they did a wonderful job because, not only did they play the songs up to the technical standards of the correct chords, notes, rhythms, solos, etc., but they played with their own distinct passion...something I believe is vital for this change, temporary or permanent.  No replacement could just go through the motions of the songs.  They have to feel what it means to them.  I feel these guys did.
     I don't think anyone would voluntarily want MMJ's lineup to change, but Jim handled it tonight, summing up my feelings about whatever happened, by saying (this is not word for word, just the best I can remember) "Hey guys can I tell you a secret? Sometimes life throws you curveballs, and you have to handle them the best you can.  We've got some special people with us here tonight." Then he introduced the two new members to the crowd, telling everyone it was their first show, and everyone cheered (this introduction was at the beginning of the encore, after everyone got to see the great job they were doing).  
     Regardless of the lineup changes MMJ was great tonight.  Even though a couple of the individuals have changed, at least temporarily, the band and their sound is still alive and amazing (I saw them previously opening for Doves in Atlanta, and in Louisville a few months ago), which is most important.  The band was really playing with a since of togetherness...Jim, Tommy, and Patrick must know the two new members pretty well because I cannot comprehend how MMJ could pull off having such incredible passion and energy without such cohesion.  Well, this is getting longwinded, but I just wanted to give my account of the Birmingham show and let everyone know my opinion. MMJ is great and will always be so if they just keep having this same positive attitude in handling unforeseen "curveballs".  I hope the best for the band as far as finding the best permanent lineup that fits their needs, which none of us could ever fully understand.  As shown tonight, MMJ finds solutions to obstacles they face and does not get bogged down in conflict that might arise from it.  They are a great band and always will be if they can just keep on rockin' like they did tonight.

Wiehls

Thanks for the update.  I can't believe that after starting this thread, I had to miss the B'ham show!  Got my 3rd bad cold of the year and actually thought it might be the flu.  But I will rally for tonight's show in Atlanta.  I'm so stoked I can hardly stand it.

Anyone got a set list from last night?  Please?!?

peanut butter puddin surprise

QuoteThey are a great band and always will be if they can just keep on rockin' like they did tonight.

Could not have said that better!  ;D  
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

bigger_rooty

From stage setlist:

mahgeeta
dancefloor
picture of
way he sin
lowdown
just #1
sooner
one big ho
i will sing
phone
steam
-----
acoustic (jim did 3 acoustic songs; golden and two others)
war begun
easy morn
run thru

If anyone taped this show, please let me know, because I want a copy really badly.  I was supposed to do it, but my friend didn't tell me I could borrow his minidisc player until I was halfway to Birmingham.  Also, does anyone know what "war begun" is?
from this town, we'd escape
if we holler loud and make our way
we'd all live one big holiday.

bigger_rooty

nm, I'm an idiot.  war begun is on the tennessee fire

Wiehls

"One big ho" -- love it.  Thanks for the setlist!!!

Just drove by the venue and there are cheerleaders ALL over the place, in town for some big cheerleading competition.  Hope the guys are enjoying that! ::)

bigger_rooty

As my girlfriend and I were buying our shirts before the show last nite, Patrick came out, and was hauling in boxes of shirts and whatnot, which I thought was odd.  He turns to me and says "hey man, how are you?" I was so confused as to why he was carrying boxes that I asked him "Why the hell are they making you do that?"  It was really cool, because he seemed genuinely confused, like it was the most natural thing in the world for the drummer to carry the band's shirts into the venue.  He was way cool and signed my vinyl copy of It Still Moves and brought it backstage and got Jim to sign it.  I told him that we had driven from New Orleans just for the show, and he seemed dumbfounded that someone would drive that far to see MMJ.  I just thought that it was cool how down-to-earth he was, since a lot of musicians can be pricks.

t-townmmjfan

the acoustic songs were 1. Golden, 2. a song I didn't recognize, maybe from one of their ep's or new, perhaps called "How Could I Have Known?" (I think that was the line he sang many times during the song). It was really great, so if anyone knows the title I'm curious to what song it is, and 3. Nashville to Kentucky.

DD

the passion and cohesion was from all the drugs.  ;D
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails

Wiehls

Just back from Atlanta show -- TOTALLY amazing.  I was right behind Jim's pedal board, or whatever you call it... there's nothing like putting your hands right on the stage and feeling the vibration.  Jim... *sigh* ...thanks for everything!

Anyway, no special intros for the new guys, but he did mention the cheerleaders!  I believe the setlist was almost the same as Birmingham.  

mahgeeta
dancefloors
picture of you
the way way he sings
lowdown
just one thing
sooner
one big holiday
i will sing
phone went west
steam
-----
acoustic -- golden, the new song, strangulation
war begun
easy morning rebel
run thru

alrightonight

What an awesome show!!  I was right in front of Jim...I think he uses Herbal Essences shampoo.   ;)
I had emailed him to see if he would mind wishing my brother a happy birthday and he said he would love to but the problem would be remembering.  And on his hand he had written in sharpie "Will. Bday. 9V. fuses" in a little reminder list and he still forgot.  No wonder, cause they were rockin out so hard.  I can't wait to see them again!  One Big Ho(liday) was incredible! ;D

Also, if anyone knows the guy who was next to the stage and in the right spot to have to get out of the way of Jim's head/hair/feet, I'd like to get in touch with him.  

bigger_rooty

hey alright, i was on the very front row and had to move outta jim's way several times.  problem is, damn near everyone did.  whome exactly are you referring to?

MMJCOBRA

https://taperssection.net/SharedShows/Share/fa9217ab-a715-417d-9b14-1fe25d9e3005

Awesome hearing Jim introduce Carl and Bo for the 1st time, in his own unique way, at ~4:00 on track 15.