Main Menu

greetings

Started by true, Apr 17, 2006, 06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

Hey everybody whatsup. I'm new to the board came here for my love of MMJ. I've only been listening to them I guess shortly after Z came out. I first heard them on Conan twice and was blown away. In just a sort time I have amassed all their albums except ch.2 and the split songs ohia. I think all their albums are really solid. Also wanted to bring up the song Lay Low its one the most amazing jams I ever heard.
Wanted to comment real quick about the term alt. country that they have been givin by some cause i really dislike that label. They have a bit of a southern laid back style but I just don't see the alt. country connection.
In other news really dissapointed that MMJ is only playing with Pearl Jam on the first leg of the tour. I plan on going to the event anyway when PJ comes to my town of Pittsburgh on the 2nd leg. I'm about to freak out if I don't see MMJ live at some near point in time. I'd go to bonnaroo but just not sure if my friends are commited to spending that kinda money to go there. And i'm not trying to drive down there by myself.
A bit about me-24yrs of age, just graduated last semester with associates in commercial art, love painting, listen to all types of music like Dylan, Beatles, Bob Marley, Beck, 311, The Flaming Lips, The Clash, The Band, Neil Young, Phish, radiohead and much much more cant list everything.
 Alright thank for your time in reading these random thoughts and i will stop by frequesntly. theres not a lot of MMJ fans around here so I need to express these thoughts with someone.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

BH

I read this board pretty frequently. It's the first message board I have ever joined.  I guess MMJ is the only thing I have ever been this addicted to.  Anyway, there is nothing I enjoy more than reading the stories from the new fans.  I think it's because although everyone has there own story, it's always similar.  When this band finally gets hold of you, it grabs you hard.  Welcome aboard!

I first got hooked on them by listening to a great "alt country" internet radio station called darksideoftheradio.com.  It's fantastic.

Lay Low may have moved Jim ahead of David Gilmour as my favorite guitarist.

Go watch the Rolling Stone acoustic vids if you havn't already.

Chapter 2 has several true gems.  Proceed directly to here-> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006SSQ66/sr=8-7/qid=1145327129/ref=pd_bbs_7/002-7184906-4924004?%5Fencoding=UTF8

and finish your addiction.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ChiefOKONO

Welcome!!! glad you got into the jacket and hope you get to see them live soon!

meanwhile, check archive.org, there are a lot of live shows there for download :):):) :D

sweatboard

Welcome Home Friend.  ;D
There's Still Time.........

rob

Let's hope "amassed all of their albums" means BOUGHT REAL CDS or DOWNLOADS.....and wasn't just a couple hours at Soulseek.  Maybe he/she should be quizzed on booklet contents?  :o
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

ManNamedTruth

I was just using a big word I guess I didn't think it would cause a contraversy. I bought all their albums regular CD format at best buy and a couple from amazon. But whats it to ya anyway? :P

wellfleet

hahaha... i would refer you to a giant argument about illegal downloads and whether they are bad for musicians or not. i guess, as dedicated fans, we care. also, the booklets are quite lovely, i like ISM myself...
welcome to the board, everyone here is terrific.
wear old pants to your first show, cause you will wet yourself.  ;D
everything sucks. really.

rob

Just some friendly hazing........the internet's boring tonight........True, what song's lyrics are printed in the At Dawn booklet, even tho the song isn't on that CD?  ;D
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

ManNamedTruth

chills? that took a minute to figure out cause the songs are all out of order with the way the cd goes. yep.

peanut butter puddin surprise

welcome!  feel free to make yerself a home here.  and know you are among those who have wet themselves countless times at shows... ;)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

maisie

lol!  wet them selves 'bout as many times as an alpaca john?
[url="//www.myspace.com/elegantfires"]www.myspace.com/elegantfires[/url]

Quotelol!  wet them selves 'bout as many times as an alpaca john?

;)  LOL

SFTH

Where are these accoustic vids you speak of, Bermuda_Hitchhiker?

BH

Go to Rollingstone.com and find your way to the MMJ page.  At the bottom, there are 3 videos of Jim acoustic.  Steam Engine is greatest performance in the history of music.

You heard me people, just try and argue.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

QuoteSteam Engine is greatest performance in the history of music.

You heard me people, just try and argue.

that's like, your opinion, man.... ;)

goldengirl

Welcome! This is the first message board that I have ever been on also. When I found out about this I had to get on here. I have never loved a band as much as I love MMJ. To me they are like this really great secret I found out about and it was so cool to know that people out there love them just as much as I do! I learn something new here everyday and the people on this are very helpful and let you in on MMJ info you may never have known.  Also, love your compliment about Lay Low. That is one of my favorite songs off Z. If I saw that live I would definately wet myself. When I saw them on Austin City Limits perform I realized what an amazing guitar player Jim is.  Well look forward to hearing more of your input in the future!  ;)

ManNamedTruth

"Thank you for being a friend"(theme from Golden Girls). Thanks for the message didn't think I'd get that many replies. I didn't say that this was the first message board I've been to but I do like this one. Some message boards have too many people posting and its ridiculous like you'll post something and by the next day it'll already be on the previous page. Clicked on your name and noticed your from Omaha and wondered if you like 311 (311 being from Omaha). Their one of my favorite bands, great blend of different music styles.

goldengirl

Nice Golden Girls reference. I never thought of that.  :)
I do like 311 although, I am not from Omaha. I just live here. I am originally from Norfolk, NE. I doubt you know where it is. It is not a very big town. So I noticed you are 24, so am I. Oh my god that is crazy.  ;) Actually I only have two days of being 24 left. I turn 25 on Saturday. Yikes! Well hopefully that will mean a good year filled with tons of Jacket shows. A girl can wish anyway.

MMJ_fanatic

that's like, your opinion, man.... ;)

Uh oh here we go again, that pesky opinion subject....
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

velvet_cow

i don't have all MMJ's albums...  :-[
YET!
i never download music (there was a time i did, and that's how i got to know the band, but i still bought ISM after), and any alternative music of any kind is hard to find in music stores here. and pre-ordering from the states makes it so much expensive...  :(

but i'm working on it! i promise!
No, just a Zaphod Beeblebrox, didn't you hear i come in six packs?