best live Don Dante?   - poll

Started by paintaneight, Jan 15, 2006, 05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paintaneight

i was just thinking this might be a worthy thread because each live version of don dante sounds a bit different.    the ending solo and jim's voice really make each don dante its own.   anyway here's my vote for the best.

10.19.05   - Toronto http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=30571

clocking in at a mild 10:09,   the blistering solo at the end is great and jim's voice sounds like a train wreck.  (which i would imagine as loud and powerful).

ycartrob

Got to go with the Bogart's, Cincy show, Oct. 26.

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=30541

Saw them do it 5 times since June and this time was the most magical, most energized, most spiritual. I usually catch them early in the tour, since I live in Nashville, but the Cincy show had a middle of the tour rhythm and groove, plus they were close enough to home to feel the vibe.

My vote, Bogart's in Cincinnati, Oct. 26th, 2006 (Tom's 18th B'day show!)

Also met Ratsprayer after the gig.  :)

ratsprayer

i'm choosing between asheville (pre-bonnaroo), knoxville (sundown in the city), indy, and the aforementioned cincy show.  the asheville version is good, mostly because it was the first time i heard it and was really all fucked up by what i had just heard.  i'm going to agree with tracy on this one though, in fact, i think we both mentioned to each other after the show of it being the best version of don dante we both had heard.  

ycartrob

Quotei'm choosing between asheville (pre-bonnaroo), knoxville (sundown in the city), indy, and the aforementioned cincy show.  the asheville version is good, mostly because it was the first time i heard it and was really all fucked up by what i had just heard.  i'm going to agree with tracy on this one though, in fact, i think we both mentioned to each other after the show of it being the best version of don dante we both had heard.  

yeah, too bad Tom and I had to haul ass back to Nashville after that show, we could have all hung out and talked politics... ;)

ratsprayer

yeah, too bad Tom and I had to haul ass back to Nashville after that show, we could have all hung out and talked politics... ;)

we also could have enjoyed the ghetto fabulous section of cincinnati where bogart's is located...

DD

damn.  i wish i would have been able to go to that show too.
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails

Form91225

Listen to the Dallas version (11/18/05)....if you can find it...

JohnnyRage

I don't mean to be bias, but that Dallas Gypsy Tea Room version is pretty sick.
[size=13]Be Right Here Forever...Go Through This Thing Together...And On Heaven's Golden Shores We'll Lay Our Heads[/size][/i]

marktwain

I agree with Asheville - June 05

ratsprayer

QuoteI agree with Asheville - June 05

that was the first time i heard, so thats a special one for me.  

marktwain

Yeah, I listened to it all summer

Coltrane

The 2nd show in Philly was amazing. Jim was feeling frisky, and it was the night they played Z start to finish....so Don Dante was before the first encore............and to see and hear Jim struggle to hit those notes--not in a technical sense, but emotionally, as it seemed he was draining himself all nite.....my god, it was heart wrenching and brilliant!!!!!

i'll never forget it!

....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

EC

Cat's Cradle, NC, June 2005.

I don't know if a really great recording exists, though.  The one I have is pretty quiet.  I believe I've heard the Ashville version, and I would have to agree that it is awesome.

loper

Just downloaded Bonneroo 2005 and played Don Dante for the first time.

Tears are rolling down my cheeks. :'(

Sorry, but it is a thing of immeasurable beauty  :-[

MyLifeISought

"Music is my savior
I was tamed by rock and roll
I was maimed by rock and roll
Got my name from rock and roll"
-Wilco

Jellyfish

The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

aMillionDreams

QuoteAustin City Limits!   ;)

No doubt about this one anymore.  Might as well lock this thread up.  ACL = Best. Version. Ever.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

whothrewthecake

the acl versh is stunning. even high five worthy.

MyLifeISought

ACL is right up there with the best i've heard
"Music is my savior
I was tamed by rock and roll
I was maimed by rock and roll
Got my name from rock and roll"
-Wilco

TropicalRobot

Of the ones I've heard I have to say it's Louisville 11/23/05. Absolutely majestic and amazing. I was at the show and thanks to people clapping and hooting I didn't really hear all the nuances until I heard the recording.

Love the ACL version too but Jim didn't quite take the solo to the breathtaking heights he reached on the Louisville one. Definitive for me.