Pronunciation and meaning of "Okonokos"

Started by Adam2, Oct 02, 2006, 08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam2

What is the proper pronunciation of the live album?  "Oak-un no-kose"?  "O kone o-kose"?  Also, what does that word mean?

Angry Ewok

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

BH

It means whatever you want it to mean.  

Really.  I just read that in an interview with Jim.  Apparently, he made it up after having a dream about it.  Or he was fucking with the interviewer.

It is actually the name of a old town somwhere, I forgot.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Angry Ewok

The town is Okonoko, West Virginia... and they bury people alive out there.

suebeeboo

QuoteThe town is Okonoko, West Virginia... and they bury people alive out there.
Ooooooh!  Creepy!  Ewok! I like your description of Okonoko a LOT better!
Here's what I found, but still, could be a little like DELIVERANCE, so I'd skip the canoe trip.... "Okonoko is an unincorporated community in Hampshire County in the U.S. state of West Virginia. Okonoko is located north of Levels on the Potomac River at Bright's Hollow. Originally known as Cacaponville on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad because of its proximity to the Little Cacapon River, its name was changed to Okonoko in the 1850s. In 1890, Okonoko had a permanent population of 46 and both a post office and an express office in use on the railroad."  (Quite the bustling little town with a post office and all!)

other times I can barely see

Angry Ewok

I'm actually not bullshitting you, I found a newslink from the 1800's where a woman was burried alive by mistake... Bummer, ya know?

I think it'd be cool to retire early and move to Okonoko...

suebeeboo

Whoopsie daisies!  Well, she be pushin up daisies now!

MMJ_fanatic

OKONOKOS means:  "you'll never figure out what this means, hahahahaha!"
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

musicfan123

The Okonokos DVD of the performance that the live discs came from is coming out on Halloween this year...what a perfect present and best Halloween in years...

SiOuxTribe

Ooooooh!  Creepy!  Ewok! I like your description of Okonoko a LOT better!
Here's what I found, but still, could be a little like DELIVERANCE, so I'd skip the canoe trip.... "Okonoko is an unincorporated community in Hampshire County in the U.S. state of West Virginia. Okonoko is located north of Levels on the Potomac River at Bright's Hollow. Originally known as Cacaponville on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad because of its proximity to the Little Cacapon River, its name was changed to Okonoko in the 1850s. In 1890, Okonoko had a permanent population of 46 and both a post office and an express office in use on the railroad."  (Quite the bustling little town with a post office and all!)

I've camped by Capon Bridge and that area of West Virginia.  Good times, Mr. Whiskey and I!
Passion dripping from the coyote's eyes,
He can taste his blood,
An' blood never lies,
Pale face die. - Kiedis

suebeeboo

QuoteOh - Coe - No - Coe - s
Ewok!  You are so funny!   I'm so lazy that I've been pronouncing it

O-KO-NOS!   What a frickin RE-tard!  It's just I'm too lazy to be bothered with the additional NO!  It's a word me and my vermin cracker spawn don't take a likin to!  We be more like "YES" gals!    :P :-*

Angry Ewok

Hey, I like that in a woman... considering the only ones I've ever dated only knew how to say "No".

8)

dragonboy

Jim James in this months issue of UNCUT (Nov 2006, with Oasis on the cover)

UNCUT: Where does the title come from?
JJ "I kinda just woke up one night & I'd written it on my bedside table. I keep a little notebook so I can remember my dreams. I don't know what it means, but it adds to the air of mystery."

So there you have it!
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

MMJ_fanatic

That Jim, he sure can spin those tales... ;)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Anu

Thanks for this thread. I just started another one on this topic over in "music."

Since it can mean whatever we want, anyone have a theory? If this were the Tool boards, we'd be over-run with theories.

ellisintransit

"If this were the Tool boards, we'd be over-run with theories."

That is one of the more astute obversations I've heard today.  Hehe.