Pre-Show Press - Athens

Started by cmccubbin@work, Feb 23, 2007, 08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmccubbin@work

http://www.nme.com/news/my-morning-jacket/26624

My Morning Jacket host prom in Georgia
US rockers re-interpret American tradition

22.Feb.07 8:46pm

My Morning Jacket have announced that they will host a two-night 'My Morning Jacket Prom' on March 6 and 7 at the 40 Watt Club in Athens, Georgia.

The US rockers intend to give fans who never attended their high school prom - a traditional American ritual - a second chance to go to the dance by creating a futuristic 'under-the-sea' themed evening.

The band wrote on their website: "For all of you who missed your prom back in 1956 or 1986 or 2006 for that matter, we will be hosting the 1st annual MMJ 2 night prom. The first time we walked thru those hallowed 40 Watt doors we said to ourselves,'This place looks perfect for a prom!' And now the dream will be a reality."

In order to be admitted, guests must wear prom or ocean-themed attire, including tuxes, suits, robot, mermaid and lobster costumes.

My Morning Jacket also plan to provide cake and balloons in keeping with traditional prom customs.

The band will play two additional dates next month, including one at Florida's Langerado Festival.

The dates are:

Athens Georgia 40 Watt Club (March 6, 7)
Asheville North Carolina Orange Peel
Sunrise Florida Langerado Festival (March 10)

--By our Los Angeles staff.

If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

cmccubbin@work

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/41326/My_Morning_Jacket_to_Host_Prom_in_Athens_Georgia

My Morning Jacket to Host Prom in Athens, Georgia:
Prom king and queen annointed with crowns made of beard hair

My Morning Jacket are getting in touch with their inner wallflowers and making up for lost time by hosting an "Under the Sea"-themed two-night prom at the 40 Watt Club in Athens, Georgia.

Here is the announcement of the event as it reads on their website:

"For all of you who missed your prom back in 1956 or 1986 or 2006 for that matter, we will be hosting the 1st annual MMJ 2 night prom, March 6th and 7th, at the fabulous, prom-ready, 40 Watt Club in Athens! The first time we walked thru those hallowed 40 Watt doors we said to ourselves, 'this place looks perfect for a prom!' And now the dream will be a reality. The theme is a futuristic/retro under the sea vibe - costumes (tuxes, suits, robots, mermaid and lobster costumes, anything prom/ocean related) are not only encouraged - they are MANDATORY!!! NO ONE will be admitted without proper attire!** There will be cake, balloons, fishnets, classic cars, chaperones, spankings, and a whole lotta shakin goin on - 2007 style upin this bitch ya'll. Come prepared to dance the night away, and make up for all the proms you missed...

- My Morning Jacket

**you may be admitted without proper attire"

Spankings!

It sounds like fun, and that's simple enough, right? Wrong! The folks at Team Clermont are not amused.

According to the publicity firm's blog, they have been holding a prom event at the 40 Watt for close to a decade. So they're challenging My Morning Jacket to cancel their event and play the TC-sponsored one.

Here is their challenge, written under the headline "My Morning Jacket is Sweating My Balls":

"My Morning Jacket is taking our prom! We lovely fools at Team Clermont have been holding a prom at the 40 Watt in the summer for almost a decade now. The reason it's 'prom ready' is because they never took down our decorations! Seeing as MMJ is soooo excited to play a prom, I'm going to pull a Colbert here and challenge them.

"YOU HEAR THAT MY MORNING JACKET?! I CHALLENGE YOU!

"I challenge you to cancel your crappy wannabe prom and play the real deal BLUE RIBBON BALL this year! JULY 28th at the always awesome 40 Watt! Also the theme will not be some lame ass 'Under The Sea' crap. Ours will be much cooler and proper dress is mandatory! Don't even THINK about walking in there in flannel!

"(ed. note: we are still totally going to the shows at the 40 Watt)"

Ooh, beef! Fight! Fight!

Including their still-scheduled prom shows, My Morning Jacket have four live dates in March.

Dates:

03-06 Athens, GA - 40 Watt Club *
03-07 Athens, GA - 40 Watt Club *
03-08 Asheville, NC - The Orange Peel *
03-10 Sunrise, FL - Langerado Festival

* with Follow the Train
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

cmccubbin@work

http://www.filter-mag.com/index.php?id=13885&c=1

My Morning Jacket Plan Their Own Prom
by Staff | 02.22.2007

Whoever provided the music for your senior prom, whether it was a fifteen year old DJ or Zack Attack, you're bound to be jealous of anybody in Athens, GA on March 6th and 7th. Kentucky tunesmiths My Morning Jacket will be hosting a two-night prom (complete with "Under the Sea" theme) at the 40 Watt Club, and it promises to be a grand affair. Look no further than the announcement below (originally posted on the band's website) for details and countless incentives to hit the town.

"For all of you who missed your prom back in 1956 or 1986 or 2006 for that matter, we will be hosting the 1st annual MMJ 2 night prom, March 6th and 7th, at the fabulous, prom-ready, 40 Watt Club in Athens! The first time we walked thru those hallowed 40 Watt doors we said to ourselves, 'this place looks perfect for a prom!' And now the dream will be a reality. The theme is a futuristic/retro under the sea vibe - costumes (tuxes, suits, robots, mermaid and lobster costumes, anything prom/ocean related) are not only encouraged - they are MANDATORY!!! NO ONE will be admitted without proper attire!** There will be cake, balloons, fishnets, classic cars, chaperones, spankings, and a whole lotta shakin goin on - 2007 style upin this bitch ya'll. Come prepared to dance the night away, and make up for all the proms you missed..." - My Morning Jacket

Remember to get at least 10 people in your group or the limo will be too darned expensive.

LaurieBlue

http://www.cinemablend.com/music/My-Morning-Jacket-To-Throw-A-Rockin-Two-Day-Prom-2982.html

My Morning Jacket To Throw A Rockin' Two-Day Prom
By J.P. Gorman: 2007-02-23 19:52:10  

My Morning Jacket, for all intents and purposes the best rock band in America, has announced that it will host a two-day "My Morning Jacket Prom" March 6-7 at the 40 Watt Club in Athens, Ga.

According to NME, the band intends to give fans who never attended their high school prom another chance to do so. The prom will have both a "futuristic" and an "under the sea" theme.

On the band's Web site, the rockers wrote: "For all of you who missed your prom back in 1956 or 1986 or 2006 ... we will be hosting the first annual MMJ 2-night prom. The first time we walked thru those hallowed 40 Watt Club doors we said to ourselves, 'This place would be perfect for a prom!' And now the dream becomes a reality."

To be admitted, attendees must wear prom-appropriate clothes (tuxes, suits) or ocean-themed attire (robot, mermaid or lobster costumes--that sort of thing). They also plan to provide cake and balloons.

So many people who come into contact with this band immediately fall in love with it, and it's over things like this. My Morning Jacket is completely and totally dedicated to providing the best experience possible for its fans at all times. Jim James really is a superhero, and the band rises to meet him at every occasion. Whatever the gang can do to collectively ascend to a higher level with the audience in tow, it's done.

Just check the group out live and you won't be disappointed. At a time in music history when big-name bands continually disappoint their fans at every turn while forgetting (or maybe no longer caring) whose money paid for the lives they're now allowed to lead, My Morning Jacket remains committed. The rockers know how lucky they are, they know how good they are, and they make sure those who make an effort to share the experience go home happy. Every single time, with everything they do.

When you think about it, from a fan's perspective, what else matters?