Chris Robinson a huge fan of MMJ

Started by Opus, Dec 17, 2003, 09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus

Hi,

I don't know if it's been addressed on this forum, but My Morning Jacket has a huge fan in Chris Robinson (the former singer of the Black Crowes and current singer of the New Earth Mud).  Chris has been putting the band over big time in interviews.  If you go to the New Earth Mud's website, there's a feature called "Tour Jukebox" that says what the band members are listening to and It Still Moves is on Chris'.  I bought the album based on his recommendation and I know of several others that did so as well.

If anyone in the band or associated with the band reads this, you should definitely contact Chris' management.  Back before the Crowes split up, Chris would always mention the band Beachwood Sparks in interviews and when they did their final tour, Beachwood was the opening band (and Dave Scher would occasionally join the band during their set).  I bet Chris would jump at the chance to do a tour with MMJ.

lfish

That would be awesome! I didn't know that the crows were split up?
When did that happen?
lfish

Opus

QuoteThat would be awesome! I didn't know that the crows were split up?
When did that happen?

They split in late 2001.  Steve Gorman (drums) announced he was leaving after a show and they decided to call it a hiatus, though there aren't any plans to reform.  It's best that it happened as they were a very pale imitation of their glory days.

Chris is leading the New Earth Mud (already have one record done, another one coming soon) and just got done opening for Gov't Mule.

Rich Robinson had a band called Hookah Brown that didn't work out.  He's played some solo shows at Arlene's Grocery in New York recently.

Steve played on Warren Zevon's last album and is rumored to be in several upcoming big name projects.

Eddie Harsch has a new band, not sure of their name, but they opened for Rich at one point.  Eddie also was the bass player for the Detroit Cobras for a spell.

Marc Ford (fired in 1997, after which the band never recovered) is working on his solo career while at the same time is the lead guitarist for Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals.  He and Chris (and Eddie and Chris) wrote songs for the New Earth Mud album.

Chris is the only one who's really settled into what he's doing right now.  Here's a few of the quotes he's said about the band:

"I think there's tons of great new bands out there. My Morning Jacket is fantastic. They put out one of the best records I've heard in forever."

"Look at My Morning Jacket.  The best record I've heard in years and years.  Probably the most excited I've been about a record since I heard the first Beachwood Sparks record.  A few months ago before that record came out, I got an advance copy and I put it on and I started listening, I picked it up, I looked at the song titles.  They have 7-8 minute songs, 5-6 minute songs, I was like, this is a beautiful, beautiful record."

lfish

Thx for the information?  Are we a huge fan of the crowes, aren't we?????

I believe I've read an article in 2002 on them and it was not exactly specified that they split up.  Maybe a crappy reporter?

But it's indeed a fact that their last recordings (f.e. lions) couldn't tip their previous albums like shake your... or amorica, which are very fine records.

It's good  to hear that other good persons (like dave grohl) help to spread the word.
lfish

peanut butter puddin surprise

Another brother in the fold, amen.....!  :)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Oz

I'm starting to like that band more and more... Too bad they broke up.
I'm ready when you are

songsandbongs

New Earth Mud and MMJ would be an amazing show!  I hope someone makes that happen!

Dylan

Bluesisblood

I too bought It Still Moves on Chris Robinson's recommendation (huge Crowes fan and now, huge NEM fan...Opus, I've seen you around the boards before). And I must say, it was one of the best albums I'd heard in a long, long time. It's very addicting. It had been awhile, probably since the Crowes, that there was a modern day(I'm talking about bands that started up in the last 5-10 years) band that I felt really spoke to me. And MMJ does that. I picked up At Dawn the other week, and was blown away by that as well. Just a truly great rock n roll band. And man, those vocals are something else. And they should definitely team up with Robinson and New Earth Mud for a tour. You would have, I think, the two best vocalists in ROCK N ROLL today, what's not to dig?  They (New Earth Mud) have a new album coming out in the spring that, judging by the live shows, is going to be one of the best releases of 2004. It would be great for both bands I think...

peanut butter puddin surprise

Someone give this man an AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-MEN!
 ;)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there