Your first song...

Started by Bam_Bam, Oct 03, 2006, 09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrassyOne

I heard a collection of their stuff at my boyfriend's house and liked it, but the first song I heard was OBH. He likes it more than I do, but it's growing on me.   :P

I think the first time I really fell in love with a song was Off the Record.  :D
Come to the dark side...we have cookies.

tomEisenbraun

poor boy  :-*

board crush?
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

DuDess

oh yeah, I think I'm pragnant  :o

dmbariola

one big holiday was the first song i heard then golden, magheetah, and so on
DMB- 09/16/03, 06/24/04, 06/28/05,
         06/29/05, 06/20/06, 06/21/06

MMJ- 11/10/06

Dee.

QuoteDoes anyone have a link to that Conan performance?  I'd love to see it again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVs6SWuDn_4

Like dragonboy, red, and Chills, my first song was At Dawn.  First track on the first cd I got.  I really didn't know what to make of the cd at first, but I kept listening and kept listening.  And then I listened some more.

LET_THE_FETUS_ROCK

I had read about them before I heard them.  I was intirigued.

One day golden come on radio and within 20 seconds the hair on my neck was standing up and I had a rush like this is something I need.  I bought the album that day and listened to it straight through about six times. I went from I'm not sure if I understand these guys to this is the greatist band ever in about 2 days.  It's only gotten better since then.
I will be there when you die!

evilPaauwe

golden.    on austin city limits.     i was originally watching the show because death cab for cutie was playing. it was a deacent show. then a bunch of awesome looking bearded guys come on stage and blows my mind. the second i heard that lap steel line in golden i was hooked.
cheers.

megisnotreal

I think I've posted this on another thread, but..

It was "Golden." We (college radio station) got the CD, and my music director came running in the studio all "You HAVE to listen to this song."

I did. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Easy Morning Rebel

I think I have to be boring and say Off The Record. Sorry, but that's how it was.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/"]http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/[/url]

Even cowgirls get the blues

ChiefOKONO

i think the first song i really heard was One Big Holiday!!

Angry Ewok

Quoteoh yeah, I think I'm pragnant  :o

Wasn't me.

;D

QuoteI think I have to be boring and say Off The Record. Sorry, but that's how it was.

Hey, at least it wasn't the 'Year in Review' track off of Split: Ohia.

8)
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

wolof

QuoteThe legendary Conan O'Brien performance of "One Big Holiday".

i second that. I have never seen Conan act the way he did to any other band....they blew my mind and i couldn't even see jim's face still probably one of my favorite tv performances from any band ever

Easy Morning Rebel

QuoteHey, at least it wasn't the 'Year in Review' track off of Split: Ohia.

8)
YES! You're right. It wasn't.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/"]http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/[/url]

Even cowgirls get the blues

Fathoms

A few years ago somebody name dropped MMJ in a thread about post-rock.  My curiosity was peaked and so I zipped over to this site, watched the video for "One Big Holiday" and proceeded to congradulate myself for discovering a geniuinely kick ass rock band.
Suddenly, everything has changed

Chancing-Glancing

Mahgeetah

My brother lent me the disc when we learned that MMJ was opening for Wilco in June '05.

moonman

IA song was on the radio. It was haunting and different and my ears pricked up, but they never said who it was ...the song was golden. But I saw "anytime"on conan with the masks and recorded it and played it over and over...Checking out those background vocals. I got some money and baught Z then  the ep with sooner then It still moves and found that song golden that I had heard on the radio along time ago

piss_hammer

I heard "Xmas Curtain" (pretty sure this was it) on a CMJ Disc around the time At Dawn would have been fresh on the shelves...didn't do much for me, and I think it's not the best song to introduce MMJ to someone with.

About a year or so later, I heard "Come Closer" and was stunned. I just fell in love with that song, and soon after, "O.." and "How Do You Know" were favorites as well, along with "Phone Went West".

I kind of laxed in my interest in the band after that, until that fateful Conan performance, in which my jaw hit the floor like so many others. I get chills thinking about it. :)

DD

whatever they opened up with that night at the mercury paw back in 98 or 99.
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails

EAZYE

Well medicated on red wine, a friend played phone went west, i went west down to the record store and grabbed everything i could find
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

ali

probably wordless chorus. i went & bought Z (after searching around for ages) on the strength of a fairly amazing review and article in i think fader (? i'll have to check this, could be wrong) mag..... the band & the music just sounded so interesting i had to have a listen.

i was hooked by about half way through the song, but jim's vocals at the end just simply blew my head off... i absolutely LOVE that feeling!

love a song for the way it makes you feel