Too Big of Venues?

Started by DaFunkyPrecedent, Jul 23, 2008, 12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaFunkyPrecedent

Not that I don't think the boy's aren't big enough to play red rocks, MSG, Greek Theater etc. I can't see them selling out, or for that matter, even coming close to selling out any of these venues.  People just aren't with it...

is it going to look stupid when only 2,500 of 8,000 people show up to the venue?  Needless to say, they'll be lots of dancing room.  
God damn those shaky knees.

bold99

I think these venues are fine.  Nobody really sells out MSG on NYE.  There is just too much to do in the city.  They sold out Radio City in 20 minutes.  I see them playing 5,000-8,000 seat places no problem.  The fanbase has increased big time.  Don't get me wrong I love the smaller venues and I can see them still playing the 2,500 seat places but those are going to sell out quick.  I'm a big fan of 2-3 night stands.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

LowDownLuvDawg

well said... agreed with the 2-3 night stands wilco 2 nights in new orleans and trip nights in st louis was very swell :D

easy way

I too would love to see some multiple night runs in the larger metro cities/killer venues. They would have to step back on the venue size though or differentiate their setlists for most fans to come back each night. It seems as the MMJ organization is concerned, the larger venues are simply a good business move. They remain accessible to the new fans and will increase in tix sales the next time they play such venues. Plus, the press on MSG, Red Rocks, etc. is hype.
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

midwesterner

QuoteI think these venues are fine.  Nobody really sells out MSG on NYE. .

This just isn't true Phish sold out the garden on NYE multiple times.

bold99

QuoteI think these venues are fine.  Nobody really sells out MSG on NYE. .

This just isn't true Phish sold out the garden on NYE multiple times.

Well I remember that and Phish was huge and in their prime.  They might be the exception.  Phish fans and MMJ are two totally different things.  Phish has a "scene".   My point was it is not really meant to sell out.   If MSG was willing to let them play there they deserve it, I really wouldn't care if it was half full.

I love Wilco two night stands.  I don't think MMJ is the type of band to play two completely different sets back to back nights but I'd go to both if they did.  I think they are built around certain songs and I can't imagine a set without certain songs but I think eventually they could get there.  Certain bands are just "big" bands and I think MMJ is one of them.  U2 plays basically the same set every night they tour and they will do 3 or 4 shows in the same venue.  
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

easy way

We went to High Sierra a couple of yrs ago and saw the guys twice that weekend. They played a set on the main stage and one at a smaller late night venue on site. They repeated eight songs, if I remember correctly, but the overall vibe was completely different. Just b/c the setlist doesn't vary as much doesn't mean that it's not a completely different show.
Some bands are more robotic up there and just go through the motions, but MMJ brings something special to the table every night... even if they are repeating songs.
Just the way that I see it, you know?
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

DaFunkyPrecedent

2-3 night stands are the best.  That way you can come to a town for a show or for the whole stand.  Make the people come to you!
God damn those shaky knees.