MMJ and Fashion

Started by LaurieBlue, Jan 04, 2007, 06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/04/fashion/04fashion.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Trends emerge, apparently from nowhere: they are fashion. This process can be intoxicating to watch. Suddenly young people in rock bands like the Decemberists and My Morning Jacket begin dressing as if playing a rock club was no different from running copies behind a counter at Kinko's. In place of stage costumes, they favor cheap sweater vests and no-brand thrift shop jeans. They make such a success of looking frumpy that their frumpiness develops into a style despite itself.

sweatboard

Frumpy it's the new flanell.
There's Still Time.........

megisnotreal

you think the copy editor for the new york times would have caught that bigass grammatical error.

upstatestruggler

Not only is this article piss-poor grammatically, but who is the fact checker? Last time I was in Kinko's, the copy kids were wearing blue vests/smocks...

too heavy for the hippies

fitzcarraldo

Huh? How random is that article.  :-/

megisnotreal

Quoteno-brand thrift shop jeans

who fucking cares about brand names? jeans are jeans.

maybe it's just me, but... maybe the author of this editorial has confused frumpiness with personal depth.

damn. i mean, there's more to life than superficial shit like designer jeans. i would say the members of mmj would agree with this sentiment.

upstatestruggler

Say it, sister!
See, the thing is, everything has a brand name. KMart sells jeans that are called, like, Riders or some shit, right? Good luck finding anything in America without a label...
I don't know about chall, but I am personally more offended by a person who would spend 1/2 my car payment on blue cotton than the guy in ball-outlining Wranglers any day!
But remember- this article was probably written by some bitch/bastard (didn't read the byline) whose parents sent them to an expensive communications college who, for all the money they spent, has no concept of how the world really works. This is why all of the "amateur" writing found here is infinitely more satisfying than the nyt.

upstatestruggler

upstatestruggler

peanut butter puddin surprise

Quotethe guy in ball-outlining Wranglers

Like this?

Feel the inner conflict raging with the feathered hair, knit sweater, and oh so casual wrist bracelets.  Be repulsed/turned on/both by the ballooning, near bursting ball sack straining against acid washed denim nightmares.  Question your own sexuality by staring into the infinitely dark pools that are Shaun's eyes.  Run out and shoot at cans with a BB gun to "feel straighter".  Tell no one of your...digressions.  

hee hee
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

upstatestruggler

I don't know whether to  ;D or  :'(...

peanut butter puddin surprise

QuoteI don't know whether to  ;D or  :'(...

How can anyone cry looking at this picture?  Unless of course, you can imagine how TIGHT those jeans must've been...then, you might cry if you're a boy!  ;)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

sweatboard

That's what you call a moose foot.
There's Still Time.........

upstatestruggler

If you look really really closely at the left side of his gauze shirt, you can totally see nip.  (Shaun was way ahead of his time! Nipple shots are so hawt right now!)

upstatestruggler

Dee.

Suddenly young people in rock bands like the Decemberists and My Morning Jacket begin dressing as if playing a rock club was no different from running copies behind a counter at Kinko's.

The Decemberists don't always dress like everyday peeps like our boys.

mmj37

QuoteSuddenly young people in rock bands like the Decemberists and My Morning Jacket begin dressing as if playing a rock club was no different from running copies behind a counter at Kinko's.

Exactly what I was thinking.

fan75

QuoteSuddenly young people in rock bands like the Decemberists and My Morning Jacket begin dressing as if playing a rock club was no different from running copies behind a counter at Kinko[ch8217]s.

Exactly what I was thinking.
I totally agree.  Both have cool styles, but imho MMJ usually dress more typical, dykwim?

Plus that article saying that only gay guys wore beards until recently is silly, because what about the likes of Kenny Rogers and other country artists from the 70s and 80s?  And now even some of the guys from Beauty and the Geek (as well as my coworkers  :D) are coming in with more than a little facial hair...
http://savefile.com/projects/808465307
[url]http://savefile.com/projects/808465344[/url]

megisnotreal

guys with beards > guys without beards

upstatestruggler

anyone>fashion writers/analysts/whores