Washington Times Article

Started by LaurieBlue, Jan 29, 2004, 08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

http://washingtontimes.com/weekend/20040127-103404-4331r.htm

Rock born in Louisville

By Elita Bradley
SPECIAL TO THE WASHINGTON TIMES

There are plenty of places that aspiring bands go to try to make it big: New York, Southern California , Nashville. Other decent-sized cities, such as Seattle, New Orleans, Memphis, Detroit, Orlando, Philadelphia, Atlanta and Athens, Ga., have earned a reputation as being breeding grounds for musical movements — grunge, jazz, blues, rap, teen pop, neo-soul, hip hop, and alt-country.
    But what about the hometowns? Some bands with a combination of groundbreaking talent and civic pride manage to single-handedly make a musical name for theirs. The rapper Nelly brought new musical credibility to St. Louis. Dave Matthews proved that Charlottesville, has something to contribute to society besides UVa. grads. And now the rock 'n' roll band My Morning Jacket is slowly but surely giving Louisville, Ky., a claim to fame other than Muhammad Ali.
    "We're really proud to be from Louisville," the group's founder and frontman, Jim James, says. "It's an amazing place to grow up and, as far as music goes, not many people come from there, so there aren't a lot of preconceived notions as to what kind of music we're supposed to make or what we're supposed to be. It's really affected how we do things as a band and has given us a lot of freedom."
    Ironically, MMJ got its first real break not in its hometown, or even its home country. After recording and releasing their first album, "The Tennessee Fire," in 1999, Mr. James and bandmates Johnny Quaid, Two-Tone Tommy, Danny Dash and a since-departed drummer (a role now filled by Patrick Hallahan), slogged through the local scene playing far-from-packed houses. But when MMJ's indie label Darla Records released the disc in Europe, one Dutch journalist rhapsodized about the album in an article, and My Morning Jacket ended up a critical sensation in the Netherlands and the subject of a Dutch documentary film.
    The attention from across the pond gave the band the affirmation it needed to keep going and trying to make it big stateside. An aggressive touring schedule as the opening act for bands such as Guided By Voices, Ben Kweller and Doves in 2002 got the buzz started, prompting industry bible NME to call it "America's Best New Band." A strong set at 2002's South by Southwest musical conference got the attention of national music publications such as Blender, which praised the group's "Neil Young-inspired guitar freakouts, thunderous rock & roll stage moves and warm, intricately woven melodies that recalled mid-period Pink Floyd."
    With the critics in its pocket and the popular attention growing, bigger labels started courting the band and MMJ eventually signed with Dave Matthews' ATO Records. Mr. James says the label appealed to them because it made the "simple but hard" promise to give the band autonomy and support. "So far it's been real good," he says.
    The increased visibility landed the band an opening slot on last summer's Foo Fighters tour, and now the band has enough momentum to headline its own dates. On Saturday, it will play the 9:30 Club in support of its ATO debut, "It Still Moves." While Mr. James says he relishes seeing the rewards for all the hard work start to roll in, he and his bandmates want to keep their home-grown perspective.
    "It's a really weird, really tough business that's always changing, and it teaches you to ride the wave and not overcount it," Mr. James says. "For us, it's important to keep disappearing in the music as well as we can and not really worry about the business stuff. I don't really care much if we get in Rolling Stone or pack Giants Stadium — I just try to make the best music I can. All the rest of the stuff is out of our control."
    Based on the depth and musicianship on "It Still Moves," Mr. James and Co. should look forward to staying on top of that wave for a while. The sturdy, 74-minute disc is stuffed with smart, intense, emotionally provocative lyrics and textured production that stops just short of too much. On stage, MMJ has established a reputation for being a great live band. Their secret, according to Mr. James, is that they know how to have fun on stage while still keeping the songs powerful.
    "We just want people to come in and hear the music," he says. "If I had my way, I'd have every one come in blindfolded so they could just listen. I like the thought of getting inside someone's brain and taking them someplace."

marktwain

peanut butter puddin surprise

QuoteDanny Dash--I like that!

Does that imply that Danny's girlfriend is Mrs. Dash?

;)

(rimshot please)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

danilove

But when MMJ's indie label Darla Records released the disc in Europe, one Dutch journalist rhapsodized about the album in an article, and My Morning Jacket ended up a critical sensation in the Netherlands and the subject of a Dutch documentary film.

As many times as I've heard this story, I've never seen an English translation of this legendary article that launched the first chapter in MMJ's history...Anybody got the goods on this one? How about you Riny? Pretty please? :-*
biggafunkychunkycookiescaryhairywookiemonkey

CC

As many times as I've heard this story, I've never seen an English translation of this legendary article that launched the first chapter in MMJ's history...Anybody got the goods on this one? How about you Riny? Pretty please? :-*

mmm, not sure if I have this article, I'll dig into my archives ;) if not, i'll just ask the journalist!

danilove

mmm, not sure if I have this article, I'll dig into my archives ;) if not, i'll just ask the journalist!

You're a sweetheart. :-*
biggafunkychunkycookiescaryhairywookiemonkey