Concert Stories

Started by the_sun_and_moon, Jan 12, 2009, 05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the sun and moon

carlmrjr

nashville 8/15. the perfect set. they played one of my favorites off of it still moves, i will sing you songs. amazing... during the peak of war begun (which in my opinion has taken on new meaning live compared to the album version) fireworks started going off in the back ground (the titans stadium was right behind the stage) and then some idiot climbed up the side of the stage pumping his fist in the air. he was feeling it. too bad he got booted and missed the second half. a girl in the front row handed jim her light up glasses and he put them on during wordless chorus. he tossed them out into the crowd and my friend caught them. it was my birthday too... jealous  >:(
jr.

ALady

I was at the Nashville show with a guy named Carl.  True story.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

LEATHER KID

Quotesome idiot climbed up the side of the stage pumping his fist in the air. he was feeling it. too bad he got booted and missed the second half.:(
He didn't get booted, he rocked it the entire show.
IT'S ALL FUCKIN' CHEESE!!

YouAre_GivenToFly

Louisville.

Me and 2 friends fly into the city at 10am the day of the show. Go to the bar. Get in line. Watch the show from the front row. Go back to a bar. Go to the airport. Fly home.

The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

goose

The guy in Nashville just climbed down and took a brether.  I saw him walk off.  The cops didn't give a shit.  He just needed a break after all that climbing. :D
Hooked on four like one, two, three

lasvegas

bonnaroo>rcmh>nye

:closed
Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

Mister Anthrope

I saw Duran Duran in 1984.  They were awesome.
We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be. Vonnegut

aMillionDreams

Louisville and Nashville were amazing this year, but if we are talking about all-time stories, I have two I like to reminisce about from time to time.  Here it goes:

When I saw them at Headliner's in 2000 or 01, i think, for WFPK listener appreciation concert. I think it was the first time they sold out headliners (though the whole bill was good).  Jim just appeared on the balcony above our heads with an acoustic guitar, no microphone, completely unplugged.  He hushed the sold out crowd as he played a beautiful version of "At Dawn".  As he was playing the rest of the boys picked up their instruments. As Jim finished they broke into the next song and Jim made his way on stage.    

Again Headliner's sometime in 2001.  The first date on their first big American tour they decided to let some friends up on the stage to see them off.  For the whole show.  Before the show they went through the crowd and Guetig said "go up", so i went and sat right behind Jim, in front of Danny.  I think the best moment was during One Big Holiday when Jim was rocking out his solo, waiting for Johnny's solo to finish in anticipation and POW it began.  He kept on losing track of where he was and almost tripped over me multiple times.  I had to keep pushing him up towards the front of the stage so he wouldn't tumble over me. Then when he went to the front of the stage and the crowd went wild I stood on my knees to get a good look at the audience and see what Jim sees.  A beautiful sight and feeling to say the least!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

ycartrob

before we were slayed at The 40 Watt in 2005

Dudley

Me and some friends went to the Toronto show this summer. It was our first time there and it was only maybe a 3 hour drive from Michigan, we made a little vacaton out of it. We went a few days early and had a great tiem in the city.. Bars, Much music awards, 420 friendly shops and what not. Well I talked my friends into checking out the venue liek 5 hours before the show. We arrived and saw the bus already there. I heard some acoustic jamming coming out of the bac of the Guvernment. We get a little closer and a really cool secuirity gaurd tells us we can stand and listen as long a we don't try anything funny. Maybe 45 minutes of noodling later Jim walks out the back of the buildng... I acted a total fool.. Star struck is an understatement for all of us.. I almost just let him walk past me after asking how he was doing.. then it dawned on me i have a camera!! I hand it to my boy who messes the shot up... But shaking his hand and feeling that he was human like me was unreal.. I'll never forget the feeling. The show was also superb.. Stood just behind all the packed up front people. Got a great view and that place has some of the best acoustics i think i have ever heard... He talked about Bonnaroo i think beacause of the people still in the mode screaming it and how electronics and mud aren't friends but they're trying to make them be.. Speaking of that i'd like to make a collection of Jim's banters. They always give me a laugh..  

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhoto&albumID=2160092&imageID=37792194&MyToken=05532ed6-1021-4cf9-9b66-13bed60237b7

the sun and moon

Ooooh you guys make me soooo jealous.

el_chode

Let me tell you all about the Great Bamboozle back in 2004. It WAS a festival at the Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ where it was a bunch of hippies in a parking lot with a total of 6 stages as a perimeter, except for that one wall consisting entirely of kegerator trucks by Bass, Guinness, and Bud. The festival has since been bought out by some corporation and turned it into emo fest every year since. Tix were $20 per day, and there were only two bands that I was there for - Sonic Youth, the TRUE headliners, and MMJ. Acoustic Citsuoca was tearing up the charts at my radio station at the time, so I was pumped. It was to be my first MMJ concert and I was more excited for them than Sonic Youth. I remember walking to my car to do a quick J and coming back to see the guys taking a picture outside the bar.

So I walked up to them and said "hey, you're the Jacket. Your album is tearing up my radio station and I don't see you guys coming to Syracuse anytime soon, so how about a station ID". Of course, being blitzed meant I did not have a plan on how to actually record a station ID. Adding to the confusion was the fact that they seem genuinely shocked that they were recognized.

They were more than happy to oblige, and they just called my cell phone from their cell phone and left a voicemail. I was never able to get it off of my phone without a high-pitched buzz unfortunately.

I'll also never forget when they played their set, and played OBH during sunset on a beach in Jersey. Perfect timing, and they rocked out, and a pit broke out. They said they never had a pit open at their shows until they played the East Coast.
I'm surrounded by assholes

el_chode

Let me also tell you my Heath Ledger story.

It's 2007 and Eagles of Death Metal are on tour supporting Death By Sexy. I score VIP tix through a connection at Irving Plaza in NYC (now Fillmore East or some shit). The song "I Only Want You" comes on in full-boogie fashion and my girlfriend is next to me, so I decide to annoy her by grinding my ass into her. Except that it wasn't my girlfriend. I turn around to see if I successfully annoyed her, and I see her mortified face and a smiling Heath Ledger.

I had given him a free lap dance.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Ruckus

Watching security kick out my girlfriend from MSG on NYE during the outro to Off the Record for get this, sleeping.  She wasn't even wasted.  Long day of work Tuesday, drive up in the weather and her astounding sleeping skills.  I was rockin' out and all of a sudden, they are hauling her out violently.  So I leave the show after almost 3 songs.  I love how security told me I could stay if I wanted to as Gideon was starting.  Funny how that works out.  While another thread spoke of what bummed out his NYE (and I'm really glad he got his 2nd poster back (awesome!)), getting tossed out only reinforced what was really important anyways.  Took the train back to Queens and watched the ball drop on TV happily after quickly convincing myself it wasn't about the show :)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Dudley

QuoteOoooh you guys make me soooo jealous.

Have you not seen them live yet??

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteWatching security kick out my girlfriend from MSG on NYE during the outro to Off the Record for get this, sleeping.  She wasn't even wasted.  Long day of work Tuesday, drive up in the weather and her astounding sleeping skills.  I was rockin' out and all of a sudden, they are hauling her out violently.  So I leave the show after almost 3 songs.  I love how security told me I could stay if I wanted to as Gideon was starting.  Funny how that works out.  While another thread spoke of what bummed out his NYE (and I'm really glad he got his 2nd poster back (awesome!)), getting tossed out only reinforced what was really important anyways.  Took the train back to Queens and watched the ball drop on TV happily after quickly convincing myself it wasn't about the show :)

I would have been arrested that night if that happened to me. And probably have had the shit beat out of me by MSG security.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Ruckus

QuoteWatching security kick out my girlfriend from MSG on NYE during the outro to Off the Record for get this, sleeping.  She wasn't even wasted.  Long day of work Tuesday, drive up in the weather and her astounding sleeping skills.  I was rockin' out and all of a sudden, they are hauling her out violently.  So I leave the show after almost 3 songs.  I love how security told me I could stay if I wanted to as Gideon was starting.  Funny how that works out.  While another thread spoke of what bummed out his NYE (and I'm really glad he got his 2nd poster back (awesome!)), getting tossed out only reinforced what was really important anyways.  Took the train back to Queens and watched the ball drop on TV happily after quickly convincing myself it wasn't about the show :)

I would have been arrested that night if that happened to me. And probably have had the shit beat out of me by MSG security.

While I know that people would react differently to any given situation, it was odd what a calm came over me at that point.  I looked the head security guy in the eye and asked him  if he can look in the mirror in the morning and be guilt free for making an innocent women distraught over the thought of ruining an important night for someone else after having traveled some distance and paid a good chunk of cash.  He returned such an empty look (borderline evil) that I realized how fortunate I was to not be like "HIM" and discontinued any last attempt to give her a second chance.

The thing was, we both could have gotten back in because I had extra tickets to another section.  However, between how upset my girlfriend was, the bad taste that was left in my mouth from the treatment of her and the risk of facing real trouble if by crazy chance, he found us again in a section on the complete opposite side of the stadium, well we decided to just head out.  It is because of these examples that I do what I do.  The innocent sometimes are not treated as such.

The good news is 2 of my friends who I encouraged to stay as we were leaving had never seen them before, unlike us, and remained for the entire show and had a great time :)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head