MoF Tour Setlists, Reviews, Pics, and Tour Posters

Started by Tieoptional, Oct 14, 2009, 07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Lane

QuoteCome on Portland it's almost 7 am!  Shake off that hangover and tell me all about your show!   ;)

yeah, where IS vespa, anyway!! well we have to take into acct the time difference...EVEN SO..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Tieoptional

A Portland pic: http://flickriver.com/photos/49938968@N00/4013135969

And the first in a series of pics here (although the show is not identified): http://www.flickr.com/photos/devilinthedetails/4013776219/

And links to the pictures from Spin review (previously posted) from the Vancouver show: http://m.spin.com/articles/monsters-folk-kick-us-tour
The river's long... it is cold. It chills the body but not the soul.

walterfredo

I'll be at the Oakland Fox on Saturday and will do my best to get a setlist.

vespachick

Sorry, no setlist from Portland.  I didn't keep track but it seemed the same as BC.  The ushers at the Schnitz are camera/video nazi's, too.  It was a good show, except when Conor ruined I Will Be There When You Die.  I do like him on the album and I like his songs, but for some reason he annoys the hell outta me.  (Speaking of which, I managed to capture a loverly Matt & JJ doing "Outta My Head" on my camera but it is vertical instead of horizontal and I don't know how to edit it to be upright...sound is decent tho...any suggestions?? I will put it on my fb anyway for those who are my peeps).  I almost got "Golden" as well but the nazi struck and made me put it away.   :'(

JJ was awesome as usual and he was sporting the owl in pocket again.  I met him afterward and he was very gracious (Finally got my pic w/him!!).  Poster is awesome:
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

ALady

Sweet poster!

And heeeeeee:

QuoteIt was a good show, except when Conor ruined I Will Be There When You Die.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

BH

Nice VC!  I want to see the picture of you and Jim!  Glad you had a great time.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

BH

Does anyone remember who sang Temazcal?  Conor sings on the album but M sings on the bonus track.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

bicyclejoe

QuoteSorry, no setlist from Portland.  I didn't keep track but it seemed the same as BC.  The ushers at the Schnitz are camera/video nazi's, too.  It was a good show, except when Conor ruined I Will Be There When You Die.  I do like him on the album and I like his songs, but for some reason he annoys the hell outta me.  (Speaking of which, I managed to capture a loverly Matt & JJ doing "Outta My Head" on my camera but it is vertical instead of horizontal and I don't know how to edit it to be upright...sound is decent tho...any suggestions?? I will put it on my fb anyway for those who are my peeps).  I almost got "Golden" as well but the nazi struck and made me put it away.   :'(

JJ was awesome as usual and he was sporting the owl in pocket again.  I met him afterward and he was very gracious (Finally got my pic w/him!!).  Poster is awesome:

To be fair, it was the band, not the venue, that requested no cameras. And I thank them. I get sick of going to shows and being stuck behind some dunderhead who has to watch the whole thing through his view finder. Happened at Pearl Jam recently. Ruined the show.

I thought Conor really enhanced a lot of the MMJ stuff, like SMokin for Shootin. Loved how he took over that last verse from JJ last night. That's what supergroups are about.

Conor also sang Temazcal.

The poster is awesome: Screenprint and letterpress.

Tieoptional

Do you know if it s a different poster for each show, as has been the case for MMJ?

bicyclejoe

Do you know if it s a different poster for each show, as has been the case for MMJ?

I would think so, since this one said "Portland." Wouldn't work well in Seattle.

BadfooT

Will there be recordings allowed?  Can't wait to hear this.

johnbky

Being a Louisville native in Portland on business, with nothing to do on a Wednesday night, I couldn't help but randomly wander up to Schnitzer Auditorium last night at 7:45 to see if I could score a ticket.  A mere 30 bucks and 5 minutes later, with beer in hand, I'm 2nd row PIT, stage left, texting my brother back in the 'ville to rub it in.  Another 15 minutes later, the red curtain opens to all the boys dressed in vintage suits and Jim 10 feet in front.  Absurdly bright white spotlights instantly slammed the crowd's faces, ensuring a nice starstruck effect.   Needless to say, it didn't take long to realize that this would be a MUCH different experience than their more jam session-improv-like set back in 2003 at a smokey Pittsburgh nightclub.  

I'd say it's fair to say that each has grown a lot in the past 6 years.  M Ward has really harnessed his voice's range and developed a charming way of being low key on stage while the others do their thing, but immediately owning the crowd as soon as he steps to the mic...to sing his cute stories  about the complexities of life and love with a rustic smoothness, and then allowing all to witness his bad-ass skills on guitar between verses.  Jim's vocals were spot on all night.  His howling backups were mesmerizing.  Not as over the top as I've seen him get before, but rather quite befitting of a vintage suit.  After solos by Conor, then Ward, and then back to another 3+ song set all together, I was was more than ready to hear Jim take over, but pretty bummed when Conor stayed on stage to join him on Be There When You Die...and even more bummed when he sang the first line.  Let's just say that some things should be left alone.  Jim did eventually pick it up where Conor agreed to butt out though and carried us along on his magical journey through Bermuda Highway and Golden.  Needless to say, I've never been a big fan of Bright Eyes.  I've liked Conor Oberst's really old stuff when he was still a young songwriter from Omaha creating and performing beyond his years, but shit man, life ain't all that bad or frustrating...and I think the past 6 years and a little influence from his fellow Monsters have helped lighten him up a little to enjoy the stage and song-writing process a little more and not focus so much on the dagger in his heart each and every time he faces a crowd.

All in all, pretty surreal seeing this group weave seamlessly through their 2 1/2 hour set.  They were insanely tight and the sound was perfect.  Smokin' From Shootin', one of my top 5 favorite MMJ songs, was a very welcome surprise and completely rocked the house.  While clapping afterwards, I couldn't help but look back from my 2nd row seat to see the looks on the faces of those less familiar with MMJ...many exchanging glances with their neighbor with the trademark "WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT AWESOMENESS I JUST HEARD!!!???"  Classic.

The only critique I can offer up, in addition to never allowing Conor to sing a MMJ verse again, is the song choice at the end.  After a raucous rendition of what I think was Losin Yo Head, which finally got everyone off their feet to move and groove a bit, they closed it out with His Master's Voice, a song with insanely crazy high notes for an end-of-a-long-set Jim James voice.  But true to his form, he managed to captivate the crowd, albeit eyes closed, and leave everyone to ponder the deep deep message from within.  Not sure if you've taken the time to let this track sink in, but it's nuts...and left me feeling slightly weird after what was otherwise the best show I've seen in 2009.

So after 30 bucks, a beer, and a superb set last night at Schnitzer, this is my 2 cents.  

Peace.

Tieoptional

bicyclejoe

QuoteBeing a Louisville native in Portland on business, with nothing to do on a Wednesday night, I couldn't help but randomly wander up to Schnitzer Auditorium last night at 7:45 to see if I could score a ticket.  A mere 30 bucks and 5 minutes later, with beer in hand, I'm 2nd row PIT, stage left, texting my brother back in the 'ville to rub it in.  Another 15 minutes later, the red curtain opens to all the boys dressed in vintage suits and Jim 10 feet in front.  Absurdly bright white spotlights instantly slammed the crowd's faces, ensuring a nice starstruck effect.   Needless to say, it didn't take long to realize that this would be a MUCH different experience than their more jam session-improv-like set back in 2003 at a smokey Pittsburgh nightclub.  

I'd say it's fair to say that each has grown a lot in the past 6 years.  M Ward has really harnessed his voice's range and developed a charming way of being low key on stage while the others do their thing, but immediately owning the crowd as soon as he steps to the mic...to sing his cute stories  about the complexities of life and love with a rustic smoothness, and then allowing all to witness his bad-ass skills on guitar between verses.  Jim's vocals were spot on all night.  His howling backups were mesmerizing.  Not as over the top as I've seen him get before, but rather quite befitting of a vintage suit.  After solos by Conor, then Ward, and then back to another 3+ song set all together, I was was more than ready to hear Jim take over, but pretty bummed when Conor stayed on stage to join him on Be There When You Die...and even more bummed when he sang the first line.  Let's just say that some things should be left alone.  Jim did eventually pick it up where Conor agreed to butt out though and carried us along on his magical journey through Bermuda Highway and Golden.  Needless to say, I've never been a big fan of Bright Eyes.  I've liked Conor Oberst's really old stuff when he was still a young songwriter from Omaha creating and performing beyond his years, but shit man, life ain't all that bad or frustrating...and I think the past 6 years and a little influence from his fellow Monsters have helped lighten him up a little to enjoy the stage and song-writing process a little more and not focus so much on the dagger in his heart each and every time he faces a crowd.

All in all, pretty surreal seeing this group weave seamlessly through their 2 1/2 hour set.  They were insanely tight and the sound was perfect.  Smokin' From Shootin', one of my top 5 favorite MMJ songs, was a very welcome surprise and completely rocked the house.  While clapping afterwards, I couldn't help but look back from my 2nd row seat to see the looks on the faces of those less familiar with MMJ...many exchanging glances with their neighbor with the trademark "WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT AWESOMENESS I JUST HEARD!!!???"  Classic.

The only critique I can offer up, in addition to never allowing Conor to sing a MMJ verse again, is the song choice at the end.  After a raucous rendition of what I think was Losin Yo Head, which finally got everyone off their feet to move and groove a bit, they closed it out with His Master's Voice, a song with insanely crazy high notes for an end-of-a-long-set Jim James voice.  But true to his form, he managed to captivate the crowd, albeit eyes closed, and leave everyone to ponder the deep deep message from within.  Not sure if you've taken the time to let this track sink in, but it's nuts...and left me feeling slightly weird after what was otherwise the best show I've seen in 2009.

So after 30 bucks, a beer, and a superb set last night at Schnitzer, this is my 2 cents.  

Peace.

I agree, except for your take on Conor Oberst taking some of the MMJ lines. I think it was a fantastic touch. He didn't overstay his welcome, but helped weave the songs into the show, making them MOF songs for a night. His presence also helped my 15-year-old daughter, a big Bright Eyes fan, warm up to the MMJ stuff. We were second row, Oberst side.

the_wizzard

I am (and was last night too) pretty darn sick, so I can only muster enough energy to touch on my favorite moments not mentioned.

House music before the show was William Devaughn "Be Thankful For What You Got".  Nice touch, and an obvious JJ influence as he has mentioned his love for that song.  Not enough people knew the song though, a shame.  One of my all time favorite soul songs.

JJ thanked the crowd for being respectful by being quiet and attentive at a folk show.  Note to future towns....keep your mouth shut  ;)

JJ also mentioned the 2 fish on each side of the stage that looked like they were going to eat us.  Most of the venue was confused, but we were in the second row of the balcony dress circle and could see exactly what he was talking about.  There are 2 faux balconies that have these decorative covers around them.  It does look like a big catfish is going to eat something when viewed at the right angle.  Nice imagination Jim...love it.

Poster is very nice and homegrown and printed.  Each venue should be getting their own poster......at least I think.

I actually liked Conor on I Will Be There When You Die....once JJ took the reins that is.  

Jim's voice is on and stellar.  Amazing.

Wonderful (The Way I Feel) is awesome with M. Ward.  Glad they are playing that since I only saw it at Bridge School.  Montgomery & Jim harmonize perfectly....like Peanut Butter and Jelly.

I couldn't control myself on the first notes of At Dawn.  I am not sure how loud I said it, but I was all like "yes" or something like that.  It was pleasantly quiet between songs so it sounded like I was loud.  Anyone hear me?  

Jim also bantered about how M. Ward feels like he is who he is because of Portland and we should be proud that we have that influence on him.  Something to that sort.  very cute b/c I do see M. Ward out and about every now and again.  I am always proud that Portland lets their local musicians lead a normal life and don't bug them.  I sure don't know what groundbreaking thing I could say to him, so I always leave him alone....

Glorious night...only Jim could get me to muster the energy to go out sick on a Wednesday night.  He rewarded me and then some....

the_wizzard

His presence also helped my 15-year-old daughter, a big Bright Eyes fan, warm up to the MMJ stuff.

I saw a few kids with their parents last night, which made me all warm and fuzzy on the inside.  I kept pointing it out to my husband.  It reminded me of my younger days when my Mom would take me to concerts because my older sister didn't want to be seen with me or see the show.  We saw CSN a bunch of times together, as well as The Grateful Dead and Bob Dylan.  Moments like that are super special.  You are a good Dad  [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

the_wizzard

QuoteI am (and was last night too) pretty darn sick, so I can only muster enough energy to touch on my favorite moments not mentioned.

House music before the show was William Devaughn "Be Thankful For What You Got".  Nice touch, and an obvious JJ influence as he has mentioned his love for that song.  Not enough people knew the song though, a shame.  One of my all time favorite soul songs.

JJ thanked the crowd for being respectful by being quiet and attentive at a folk show.  Note to future towns....keep your mouth shut  ;)

JJ also mentioned the 2 fish on each side of the stage that looked like they were going to eat us.  Most of the venue was confused, but we were in the second row of the balcony dress circle and could see exactly what he was talking about.  There are 2 faux balconies that have these decorative covers around them.  It does look like a big catfish is going to eat something when viewed at the right angle.  Nice imagination Jim...love it.

Poster is very nice and homegrown and printed.  Each venue should be getting their own poster......at least I think.

I actually liked Conor on I Will Be There When You Die....once JJ took the reins that is.  

Jim's voice is on and stellar.  Amazing.

Wonderful (The Way I Feel) is awesome with M. Ward.  Glad they are playing that since I only saw it at Bridge School.  Montgomery & Jim harmonize perfectly....like Peanut Butter and Jelly.

I couldn't control myself on the first notes of At Dawn.  I am not sure how loud I said it, but I was all like "yes" or something like that.  It was pleasantly quiet between songs so it sounded like I was loud.  Anyone hear me?  

Jim also bantered about how M. Ward feels like he is who he is because of Portland and we should be proud that we have that influence on him.  Something to that sort.  very cute b/c I do see M. Ward out and about every now and again.  I am always proud that Portland lets their local musicians lead a normal life and don't bug them.  I sure don't know what groundbreaking thing I could say to him, so I always leave him alone....

Glorious night...only Jim could get me to muster the energy to go out sick on a Wednesday night.  He rewarded me and then some....
Oooooo I forgot one of my favorite tid-bits of the night....Jim has some serious bass fuzz (ala Bootsy Collins) going on at the end of Say Please.  Me likey very much  :D!

aMillionDreams

Thanks for the review, Wiz!

And feel better. Music always helps me though.  :)
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Tieoptional

Penny Lane

QuoteSeattle review: http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/2009/10/last_night_jim_james_m_ward_co.php

OUCH! at least:

9:15: "Smokin' From Shootin'" sounded great, but I can already tell this set is going to need a lot more My Morning Jacket.

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill