Recipe Book out tomorrow

Started by LaurieBlue, Apr 23, 2007, 04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/42525-decemberists-hold-steady-interpol-pen-indie-recipes

Decemberists, Hold Steady, Interpol Pen Indie Recipes
Plus: Death Cab, Franz, Devendra, Belle & Sebastian, Walkmen, My Morning Jacket

Though we indie rock writers subsist on a combination of Chipotle and take-out thai, turns out the indie rockers we cover are deft with the self-styled num-nums. At least, that's the contention of Kara Zuaro's I Like Food, Food Tastes Good, a collection of recipes and various munchie-miscellany from the likes of Interpol, the Hold Steady, the Decemberists, Death Cab for Cutie, and over 100 others.

Peep the ingredient list from Devendra Banhart's contribution:

"RIGHT ON!!!!!!
here is my favorite recipe for:
AFRICANAS RICAS!
you shall require!
many bananas!
a box of graham crackers!!!
two eggs!!!
SOUR CREAM!!
HONEY!"

Right on, indeed.

Other I Like Food contributors include Belle & Sebastian, Grizzly Bear, Franz Ferdinand, Ted Leo, the Mountain Goats, My Morning Jacket, the Walkmen, Camera Obscura, Battles, Okkervil River, Drive-By Truckers, Shonen Knife, Smoosh, They Might Be Giants, and the Violent Femmes.

The book sees release tomorrow, April 24, with a string of Brooklyn-based events to go with it. There'll be a happy hour at Brooklyn bar Hi Fi (at which the Hold Steady's Galen Polivka is bartender) Wednesday (April 25), a release party at Union Pool May 5, and a May 17 in-store performance event at the Barnes & Noble in-- where else?-- Brooklyn.

Posted by Paul Thompson in book on Mon: 04-23-07: 03:00 PM CDT | Permalink

cmccubbin@work

any word yet on what MMJ's recipe is?
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

Dee.

Yeah, Jim makes a Chik Patty sandwich.

-----------THE "YOU CAN CARE IF YOU WANNA" SANDWICH----------

The first time I saw My Morning Jacket play, they'd just released At Dawn on vinyl and were selling copies of it at their merch table at New York's Bowery Ballroom. I already had it on CD, but couldn't resist buying the double LP, despite the fact that it would never fit in my bag and I'd have to hold it for the whole show. As I was shifting it from one arm to the other, I bumped into a long-haired guy with a scraggly beard who broke into a huge smile when he saw the record. It was Jim James, trying to squeeze through the crowded room. "Oh, thank you so much for buying this," he said, hugging me, and patting me on the back, even though we'd never met. "We're so excited to have it on vinyl. I hope you like it!" Minutes later, My Morning Jacket tackled the stage with the one-two punch of Jim' hypnotizing tenor and the band's fierce brand of Southern rock. Several records later, they surge between catchy pop choruses and space-rock james and continue to turn stiff hipsters into gently swaying hippies - and they still sound better on vinyl.

Jim' singsongy Louisville accent shines through this recipe, and, if you catch the reference, you can almost hear him humming a certain song off Outkasts' The Love Below as he adds the sour cream.

"i'm a relatively simple eater myself, a good sandwich is always what i make when i'm alone, but we all really love getting together wih all our friends and hangin and jammin on some tunes and gettin down and stuff, we tend to do that on the road with peeps and at home. our drummer patrick hallahan is an excellent chef. being a simple cook, one of my fave culinary delights is the 'you can care if you wanna' sandwich." -- jim james

INGREDIENTS:

2 pieces wheat bread (any kind)
1 vegetarian chicken patty (my favorite is morningstar farm's "chik patties")
a tablespoon or so of sour cream
1 piece farmer cheese (a mild bland cheese)
1 piece sharp cheddar cheese
2 claussen sweet pickle slices

DIRECTIONS:

1. toast da bread to perfection.
2. toast, fry, or zap the chik patty to perfection.
3. spread ("spread-spread for me" - thanks, andre) the sour cream onto the bread.
4. put da cheese on da bread; one on de top, one on de bottom.
5. put da pickles on top of de cheese.
6. put the perfectly toasted chik patty on de pickles.
7. put de other piece of cheese and then bread on top of de chik patty.
8. eat the perfect creation of goodness.

ManNamedTruth

4. put da cheese on da bread; one on de top, one on de bottom.

Is Jim Canadian now?
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

dragonboy

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

megisnotreal

thanks, d.

"spread-spread for me"
that made my morning.  ;D

BH

Nice!  I will have to try that soon.

We should have a recipe thread where everyone shares their good recipes.  Have we tried that already?  I love to cook when I have time.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Dee.

Hey, no problem.

;D Love ya Pat!

red

Can someone post The Hold Steady's recipe?

Dee.

Sorry to say that I can't because I didn't actually buy the book. It was $18 that I just didn't have, but I can tell you that it's in stock at Borders.

I dunno if you already know what The Hold Steady makes, but they say this in the press release:

Galen Polivka from The Hold Steady, for example, requires 6 cans of Miller High Life and Milwaukee-made bratwurst for his hometown favorite, "Midwestern-style Bratwurst."

The DARK

6 cans!?!?!?!? That's one heck of a bratwurst.  :D
In another time, in another place, in another face

red

Quote6 cans!?!?!?!? That's one heck of a bratwurst.  :D
Shit man, 6 cans is nothing for those HS boys.  ;D

colleen

Just noticed this thread now. Another good veggie chicken patty (in my opinion the best one) is made by Quorn. It crisps up real nice and is quite savory. It goes best with vegenaise rather than a dairy spread-spread. Props to Jim for putting a veggie recipe in there!
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

.Walt

i made the sandwich, really good. because just like jim, i just like a good ol' sandwich.  
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Dee.

You should have made a Youtube tutorial.

Cooking segment! ;)

JxD1903

sortof want this, not gonna lie

seems like it'd be fun to just whip up a little somethin' somethin' from here.

devandra banhart also freaking rockssss
The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

Dee.

Devendra does indeed rock. Here is his recipe, if you're interested.

page 1 and page 2

Him so enthusiastical.

JxD1903

I got this book today...I was flipping through and I think I will be having fun whipping up some of these things.  They don't exactly seem like ya need a lot to do em either, sweet deal.
The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.

sweatboard

That's cause these people don't go shopping.  I went over to my friends house the other night (he plays guitar in a band)  His previous nights dinner was Salteens with an Itallian Dressing spread.  NICE!!!  Improvise..
There's Still Time.........