Well now that's over with....

Started by johnconaway, May 16, 2003, 06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

Shall we go back to regular rambling?

New Castle Beer:  Good, bad, indifferent....discuss!
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Tooth

Heineken?!?  

FUCK THAT SHIT!!  

PABST BLUE RIBBON!!

(that's my Dennis Hopper impersonation, how'd ya like it?)

CC

Heineken? Why it's the finest beer in the world! President Kennedy used to drink it!

(that's my Jack Nicholson impersonation, how'd ya like THAT?)

Wait, I said New Castle, not Heineiken...

CC

and we said heineken, not heineiken ;)

but buy me a new castle someday and i'll let you now................

Spelling was never one of my strong points....

I will buy ya a few rounds of New Castle.  (soon, I hope!)

plank10

New Castle isn't bad but its overpriced. You all in the ville need to go to the Old Ale House. Huge and fantastic beer selection.

And if anyone comes up to the DC area the Brickskellar has by far the largest beer selection i've ever seen.  

hipkink

I love Newcastle - most of the time. Every now and then, I get hold of a real bad pint. GOO! But most of the time it's my fav! I also have a passionate love for Anchor Steam... mmmm... wish I wasn't working. Wait - is this working? Cheers!
You came around when I needed you, now I'm up to my neck in you.

dthomas

Newcastle is good stuff.

My favorite is Fat Tire Amber Ale.

hipkink

MMMMMM. That's tasty stuff too! Isn't that from Colorado? I can't find it in Sacramento :( Go Kings!!!
You came around when I needed you, now I'm up to my neck in you.

dthomas

Ft. Collins, Colorado to be exact.  Made a pilgrimage to the brewery a couple of years ago.  Fat Tire is supposed to be available in northern Cal now.  

GO Ducks!
Anaheim Ca, hockey town USA.

otter

Well anytime anybody wants a good beer in Michigan...Kalamazoo's Bell's is it. Oberon, Amber, Third Coast, Pale....it goes on and on...Hopefully, they are getting better distribution now...used to be nobody knew about Bell's but I'm starting to see it in other places now.

Oz

New Castle? I´ll check it out someday.

Heineken? Excuse me, I have to puke.

Anything Belgian? Yeah, NOW we´re talking BEER!

;D
I'm ready when you are

O
That's funny-my friend who homebrews his own beer makes a KILLER Belgian wheat ale that begs to be drank over and over again...he just brewed a keg for a wedding party recently and we (all 20 beer drinkers) knocked it off in less than 2 hours...yummy!

Lieven

Oh my god!

Did I read beer and Heineken in the same sentence?? That's a shame! Y'all should try to visit a bar with belgian beers and taste some REAL beer! (Or join MMJ on a trip to Europe) Beside the superb chocolat and "french" fries (which are also belgian), I'm really proud of our beer. It's the best, really.

Thanks, O, for promoting belgian beer although you live in a Heineken country...
You've got a good taste (obvious though, you're a MMJ fan ;))

I'd say go and check it out.
All of us get lost in the darkness...
dreamers learn to steer by the stars

Pinte

If Pabst Blue Ribbon is good enough for John Howie from The Two Dollar Pistols, it probably should be good enough for me. I think he called it "a working man's beer" once, it might have been something his father taught him.

Seriously, I have fond memories of PBR. Me and a couple of friends went to NYC back in 98 and ended up in a dive bar called the Village Idiot (on 355 W. 14th St., at Ninth Ave.), where they had PBR cans for something like a dollar a piece and a juke box stuffed with good old country music. Spent the entire night downing cans of that crap and listening to David Allan Coe. Got so drunk that I had to get out of our taxi and walk back to the hotel on 47th street.

But I've tried it since whenever I've been to the States... and no, it isn't the world's greatest beer.

I'm with Lieven. Drink Belgian. Hoegaarden really is all you need. For those of you in The 'Ville, it can be found on tap at Baxter Station and at least one other place that I can seem to remember the name of right now.

Anyone seriously interested in beer should probably drive over to New Albany and visit Rich O's. Haven't been there yet, but it's the first place on my checklist next time I get over.

dthomas

http://www.newbelgium.com

Belgian style beers from America.  I have never been to Belgium so I will take their word for it.

Rich O's...awesome!

Even better:  Judge Roy Bean's, Thurs night $1.50 pints of all draft beer!  sweeeeet...

Haven't been to Baxter Station in like years....hmmmmmm

Lieven

About that site www.newbelgium.com I don't know that brewing company. I read they make belgian beers, but non of them are on the belgian market. So I can't give you guys (or girls) any tips about which one's the best.

Pinte seems to like Hoegaarden, a white beer. It tastes good, that's true. It's one of the beers you can drink all evening. We have stronger beers too, though. I won't recommand drinking those all evening  ;) (Duvel, Westmalle,...) They are really good, but are consumed during nice calm evening at a bar, talking with friends and enjoying atmosphere. They are not really for party evenings...

Really try them out, they taste really good. You can't compare them to other brands like Heineken. (I wouldn't know why that particular brand got so famous, while tasting so bad)

Hmm, I'd rather go out and drink one right now then talk about it  :P Maybe we can discuss the taste on a MMJ evening this summer??
(please, please MMJ come to Belgium!)
All of us get lost in the darkness...
dreamers learn to steer by the stars

All this talk about beer is making me thirsty, so here's a list of John's fav beers, not necessarily in order:

New Castle-brown ale

Genessee Cream Ale-cheap but good

BBC Dark Star Porter-mmmmmmmm porter

anything my friend Rich brews....mmmmmmm

Anchor Steam

what's your favs?