New Ryan Adams CD

Started by dwight, Nov 05, 2003, 11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwight

Umm..
I'm gonna have to call it here an now.  Just a first impression w/ only one listen.
The new Ryan Adams CD is pretty lame.
I dunno..
Maybe it's OK when compared to some of the garbage out there but that's no measuring stick.
It's not in the same league, ballpark, or area code with Gold, Heartbreaker or any of the Whiskeytown albumns.
So there you have it.
Just one guys opinion.
Rock on MMJ!!!

igor

when you come in expecting ryan adams of heartbreaker/gold or whiskeytown, you'll be disappointed with the new album, the love is hell part 1 ep will probably appeal to you more than the new album.

the album is far from great, like someone i know said, it's just a fun record.

peanut butter puddin surprise

Not a fan, but respect his music.  Don't know why I'm not a fan...it isn't clicking for me.  Call me lame!  ;)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

dwight

I am a fan so I was dissapointed.

marktwain

I'm with you, JOhn.  I've tried to like him, really I have.  Everyone says I should.  But, he's not for me.

DD

even pit pats love cant make this guy sound good.

my cat shits better songs than this guy.
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails

my_evening_jacket

I haven't been too impressed with anything he's done since his whiskeytown days.  I mean he can write some great music but he's more interested in quantity than quality.  I hope he gets his shit together again.
shake some action

ycartrob

I saw adams in Nashville, at his meltdown at the Ryman. Made me think of those 2 guys from Oasis, the Gallagher brothers? So in love with themselves that they self destruct? Too bad people like that can't just shut up and (as Joe Perry once said) let the music do the talking. Waiting for MMJ to hit the Ryman stage; I wait patiently for that announcement. Rock on!

ben grimm

I am disappointed with 'rock'n'roll' as well 'love is hell pt 1' has some great moments though. I have tickets to see him in Manchester U.K. on Monday and now I don't know what I'm expecting.

Oz

Hey, I've been meaning to buy something of Ryan for quite a long while.. Might still be a long while before I actually do it, but could any of you guys tell me what I should buy? It's quite clear I shouldn't buy 'Rock&Roll' then. What should I buy? You may include the Whiskeytown time as well, 'cuz I don't have anything of them either. Simply, the most essential album with Ryan Adams songs on it. Any advices?
I'm ready when you are

CC

I like his first solo, Heartbreaker... Gold has maybe one or two songs I really like... Rock and Roll is just not Rock and Roll.. so, O... if you wana check him out, get Heartbreaker. Stick with that.

lostinmyhead

the new ep is really good, the new album grows on you!! its shit at first but the more you listen the more you appreciate

ben grimm

Saw him in Manchester last night, it was the rock set. It was still great but I can't help but feel a little disappointed at only 2 acoustic numbers 'come pick me up' and 'wonderwall' but they were great. Got to meet the man himself and his famous lady friend in the club next door which made my night, christ he was loaded! but cool though.
O I recomend you try 'strangers almanac' from his whiskeytown days, its my favourite next to heartbreaker, demolition has some great moments too.

dwight

O

No doubt you should pic up the Whiskeytown stuff first. The last two albums are a good start.  Great stuff!

D

Pinte

Extremeley overrated. Whiskeytown is ok, have never really cared that much for is solo stuff.
Here in Sweden he is looked upon as the icon of alt-country (although that's not even what he's doing anymore), which is ludicrous since there are tons of bands and artists that meant more to the "No Depression"-movement than Adams and Whiskeytown did. And were a lot better too.
Uncle Tupelo and Jayhawks are the obvious examples.