Ryan Adams is a tool

Started by goldengator, Dec 15, 2003, 03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylan

Well I thought I made it clear...no musical comparisions...he cares about his audience what about the geffen years and those awful albums...you know I saw Neil in Atlanta on the greendale tour he stormed offstage after the 3rd or 4th song bc people were talking during slow songs and didnt come back till everyone was practically silent. Neil is very well now for tantrums and spotty albums so you might want to check that again. So reading a Sylvia Plath means its staged...I just don't understand that...Neil Young is almost bipolar and he is fucking amazing but not to see the similarities in there personal on and offstage behavior. Not musical.

ycartrob

Neil Young is known for spotty albums? That has nothing to do with his onstage antics. His Geffen years? he wanted out of his contract so he went to doo-wop, so what? He refused to play until everyone stopped talking? Good! You don't go to a show to talk, you go to a show to listen. I guess that's the difference in you and me... Bottom line is neil young would never, EVER, at any point in his career, pull a record player on stage and air guitar and  P O S E to Like A Virgin  IN IT'S ENTIRETY. Neil Young would never, EVER, stage it to where he pays someone to leave his show and refues to play until that person leaves. Neil Young would never, EVER sing an entire song like the Cookie Monster would. Neil Young would never, EVER get up in the middle of a song (playing drums while Gillian Welch and dave Rawlings play) and go look for his wine bottle. There are many musicians and listeners alike who think this guy is a poser. I can't think of anyone (besides you) who thinks Neil young is a poser. Good grief. We can all be assholes and have bad days and act like jerks, everyone. But ryan adams insults his audience with his performances and he wouldn't know it if the crowd was talking or not. I do know that they had to open the double doors at the Ryman when I saw him b/c people cound not get out of there fast enough before the encore. And the encore was not appluase induced, it was just a matter of fact encore with welch and rawlings. Like the music or not, Neil Young has a ton more musical integitry onstage than adams. PERIOD. Frankly, I feel sorry for someone so talented to self destruct, night after night. And finally, if Jim James ever came out with a record player and lip synched and posed to a Madonna song, I'd really reconsider ever seeing MMJ again. Hey, it's just me. And as Joe Perry once said "Let the music do the talking".

lilium

Well, Ryan Adams might be a tool, but for me he isn't any COOL at all..... ;D

Dylan

It's like you didn't read what I wrote, but you want to blindly defend that's fine. I never ever said Neil Young was a poser and once again I wasn't comparing there music jesus christ. So every artist must act like Neil Young who cares if he plays along it was a joke. Music is a wonderful thing it was to have a laugh. Actually if you read repots the heckler bothered the opening band and the girls made several remarks that when Ryan went out in the crowd it was after repeated remarks that wasn't the only thing he was saying. Oh my good he played drums on a song sometimes rock 'n' roll can be fun. Whatever happened to rock 'n' roll...It wasn't the highlight of the show when he played like a virgin but you know if he is to serious and read the bell jar onstage he is a fake and a poser. If he has fun he is a loser and has no integrity. So fuck it there is no making some people happy you shouldn't have gone to the show.

Oz

QuoteAnd finally, if Jim James ever came out with a record player and lip synched and posed to a Madonna song, I'd really reconsider ever seeing MMJ again.

I don´t wanna be a spoiler, ycartrob, but I once read a live review on the mailing list that said on one show, the guys came up to stage with stools, and they all sat in a line and Two-Tone Tommy started lip-syniching to `Beth´ by Kiss. When the song was over, they removed the stools from stage and started the show.

Now come on, that´s just funny, isn´t it? I think it´s okay for artists to do some silly stuff on stage, really. But yes, being an arrogant asshole is a whole different story...
I'm ready when you are

ycartrob

I agree O, a gimmick or 2 during the show is OK in my book, but the Ryan Adams show I saw was just gimmick after gimmick after gimmick after gimmick...so why would so many gimmicks be used? Either the music can't stand on its own (which I believe Ryans music CAN, and I wish I could have seen him play it) OR he's an egotistical prima donna (which I think he is). Seriously, nearly 1/3 of his show was him NOT playing music. As for you lilium, I'll stick with Paul Westerbergs idea for adams, and the Minn. Tribune's review of the show and the more than half the crowd that left the ryman before the encore. You know, millions of people get turned on by christinia aquileira and they have fun at her shows too, but I know enough that I don't like her music and would never attend one of her shows (b/c her shows really aren't about the music). Now I know that Ryan's shows really aren't about the music either. That's why I love MMJ, b/c the 3 times I have seen them I have been blown away by them PLAYING their music and appreciating their fans. Happy new year everyone!  I'm out.

Oz

And a happy new year to you!  :)

I guess this Adams fella has got us heating up here. Well, let's face it, is he worth it? Is he worth destroying the peace and quietness and mellowness here? Let's face it: he's not. Only My Morning Jacket breaking up would. Ah, the horror!  :'(

Now let's forget I ever said that. It's a thought too horrible to handle, isn't it? Yes, ladies and gentlemen, enough about this Adams creature. I wish you all a very happy new year full of posting on this wonderful forum. Long live the Jacket!  :)
I'm ready when you are

Oz

And yes, I am a little drunk right now. But nevermind!  :)
I'm ready when you are