Damien Rice

Started by "O", Oct 31, 2003, 09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

"O"

Last week "Concert of the year in the AB-Brussels". That is before MMJ kicked ass over there of course.

Anyhow - Damien Rice: check him out if you can. Amazing singer-songwriter!

lfish

Yeah, recently I read a review of this guy's new cd, and there weren't enough positive words to describe it.  But I haven't check this guy out yet.  Thanks for the reminder.

groetjes,
Lfish
lfish

Lieven

Yep,
and his album has a nice name, don't you think, O?
 ;)
All of us get lost in the darkness...
dreamers learn to steer by the stars

Oz

Yeah, indeed...  ;D
But guests trying to steal my name, we don't want that, do we?  ;)

And yet another singer/songwriter to check out when I get to it. I'll be keeping my ears open.
I'm ready when you are

Huntley

Maybe it is just me, but I thought this album "O" to be sub par.  The first song definitely hooked me in and the second track "Volcano" is very solid too, but it seems to me there is something lacking with the majority.  I don't come across to many songs that really turn me away, hence I can't help but find myself cringe when listening to "Amie". The over production of the strings and whiney lullaby to or about this Amie really turns me away.  I can't get past this and it's probably me, but it irks me so. It's an ok listen but where is the overall captivation? :)

fakeplasticspivey

Damien is fantastic...  Pick 'er up if you get a chance :)

AMhjG

Sorry "O". It was me who started the thread. But just fucked up the "name field".

Anyhow - Rice is great where MMJ is bigger than life!

dwight

dwight

I hear he used to play in a punk band.
I wanna hear that shit!

AMhjG

kat

damien rice tis amazing, he is really original and just such quality music. i suggest if you like him you listen to tom mccrae he is amazing as well.
kat x

hipkink

Didn't someone else here mention Tom McCrae once? Hmmm. Two mentions merits attention.
You came around when I needed you, now I'm up to my neck in you.

mikeboston

if you like this you should get david grey lost songs it will knock you off your ass

igor

damien rice's "O" is good, it's not as mind blowing as some people will lead you to believe. he won the shortlist prize this year, and he is deserving, but i probably would have given it to cat power, hehehe. it's appeal hasn't made a lasting impression on me, i hardly listen to it anymore, and when i put it on i stop after 4 songs.

i heard he puts on a great live performance though, so i'm seeing him in december, hopefully, lisa hannigan will be there.

and i agree with mikeboston, david gray's lost songs stomps all over this, imo.

Operator

This is a magnificent album.

Rabid_Washcloth

I listened to the Damien Rice album at Barnes and Nobles and it sounded great.  I would have purchased it had it not been $19.  I can't justify buying albums at that price anymore.

However, to hijack the thread, I like to discover new artists all the time (new to me at least) so I picked up a Dan Reeder CD that was sitting beside the Damien Rice one.  Dan Reeder does the self-recording/mixing thing, and even built his own guitars and amps from scratch.  He put the record together and sent it to his favorite artist, John Prine.  Prine liked it and sent him back a contract.

Reeder's sound is unique.  He lays down the vocals, then records harmonies with himself.  It sounds like a gospel troupe singing the blues.  The songs/lyrics are comparable to John Prine and Vic Chesnutt - some of the songs are kind of goofy.  Check it out if you can.      

elemenopee

Oh no! Oh no. oh no.
I have to say, I REALLY don't like Mr. Rice and his music. In fact I can't bear him. Everytime I see an interview, or read something about him he's moaning on about how he doesn't want any fame, it's all about the music, he doesn't care if no-one likes what he does.... all that sort of crap. I mean, if that's true, how come he doesn't just stay home and play his songs to himself. I really think the guy is full of s**t. Sorry. And he's from Ireland too - so I'd really Like to like him.

And about his former band - they're weren't punk, just guitar based rock. They were called Juniper and weren't worth hearing. However, the other members of the band went on to form BellX1 who definitely ARE worth a listen.

Phew.
Glad I got that off my chest.

antoniostrohs

I beg to differ.I'v seen Damien two times now and both were wonderful shows.The first time was a small bar in Louisville(The Rudyard Kipling).It was a solo performance with just a guitar and mike,second was with a full band.Had heard about Damien from Patrick(mmj drummer) who happened to get an advance copy of his disc while on tour in the U.K.At the Rudyard, Damien was very cordial and very sweet to everyone.In all the interviews I heard(World Cafe,Morning Becomes Eclectic etc)never heard him moan about fame.And doesn't most artist say that fame isn't as important as being able to write the songs they want.I know everyone has there own taste in music but it is good to disagree every now and then

SmoothOprtr

This is clearly one of the better albums to be released in the last couple years.  I don't like the fact that there are TV commercials trying to get me to purchase this album, because the music sells itself, but anyway you slice it, "O", as well as his live album are winners.
The only two things in life that make it worth livin Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Crazy_Horse

Damien Rice used to be in a band called Juniper. He went solo and the rest of the band re-formed under the name
BELL X1 who have released one of the best Irish albums ever 'Music in Mouth'.