Heavy Metal phase...

Started by johnconaway, Aug 30, 2004, 07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

okay, after a stint in rehab from Canadian metal, I find myself today listening to a LOT of Black Sabbath, Ronnie James Dio, etc.  Tonight on the way back in the car, "Man on the Silver Mountain" came on, a rare treat...

Have any of you guys gone through this?  Any leather pants in your past?
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

MMJ_fanatic

can't say I have any leather pants in the closet but I did have a colored denim thing going for a while :-/.

definitely love the heavy guitar sound whoever is playing it, course its gotta have a great groove too--always loved the Dio phase of Sabbath--especially Neon Knights!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

katkillad

my heavy metal phase consisted of pantera...thats about it.  I guess you could call white zombie's la sexorcisto heavy.  

visionstate

i can totally agree with what ur saying. i go through phases listening to counting crows, mmj, lemonheads etc.. but then i jsut one day switch and  go on to listen to metallica, soad, pantera and i feel confused that i switch all the time. although confused but happy and can listen to different types of music.

it all inspires me for writing music so i dont mind!

www.visionstate.co.uk

lfish

For me it all started with AC/DC's Thunderstruck.

When I was 9 I found myself jumping on my bed with a virtual guitar in my hand.  Since then the only thing that has changed is this virtual guitar... now I have a real one.

After AC/DC, metallica came along, life of agony, Type 'o negative, dog eat dog (I know  :-[ ), amorphis, chanel zero, black sabbath, metal church, ...

And then, then came the blues, Oh yeah...

Men, what a relevation!

But it remains fun to jump on your bed ...

lfish

dogandponyshow

Cetainly a huge metal fan....here are some names from the past Vandenberg, Krokus, Dokken, L.A. Guns(just saw Dokken and L.A. Guns is vegas about three weeks ago...not bad and the ever present Quiet Riot.  Picked up the Black Sabbath box set which is all of the albums Ozzy was on.  Rainbow I think was mentioned....loved the tune Lady on the Lake.  Also both The Mob Rules and Heaven and Hell with Dio singing is great.  And if I remember the first solo Dio disc....Holy Diver is tight.  A couple other one is ther first Montrose album with Hagar singing...we all remember Rock Candy and Space Station #5.

D.

MMJ_fanatic

Montrose does a great version of Telstar on one of his cds.  Type O Negative have one interesting vocalist--Summer Breeze and Cinnamon Girl are a couple of personal favorite covers.  L.A. Guns!  One of the BEST hair metal cds ever:  Cocked and Loaded!!!!

QuoteNeon Knights!

Sweet.  I thought I was the only one who dug this tune!

Quotephase?  no phase.  metal is excellent.

i never had any leather items, but at one point, about 75% of my wardrobe consisted of either velvet or lace.  does that count?

Absolutely on all counts!

Drunkre

I have a pair of jeans that just blew a hole through one of the knees.  My wife insists I throw them away...opinions?
it's a voice. and it's a choice
to call you out. or stay at home

MMJ_fanatic

no fuckin' way you throw 'em out

fuck that, keep em forever!

Chills

Channel Zero, Belgium's own metal pride ;D

They actually tried to make it in The States, even opening on tour for the legendary Bodycount, but it all ended up a financial disaster...

They were great though, still bang my head to their classics
Unsafe and Black Fuel. Actually i hate most heavy metal bands but i love to make an exeption for them

katkillad

i realized i didn't lump metallica in with my selections even though they were my first concert.  I guess I just look at them as having a little more content with their music...at least they did.  

MMJ_fanatic

DaveStarck

I don't know if you'd throw them in with metal, but I was walking out of class today, and I overhear the simple line being mentioned to someone else, "Jerry was a race car driver."  As soon as I got home I listened to Sailing the Seas of Cheese and the Brown Album.  Tales from the Punchbowl and Highball with the Devil are being saved for tomorrow.  It's been so long since I've listened to Primus that I'd forgetten the quarky pleasures of Les Claypool's bass playing.
Everything it seems I like's a little bit stronger

MMJ_fanatic

well Les and the guys teamed with Ozzie--that's pretty damn metal!