Public Service Announcement

Started by marktwain, Oct 26, 2004, 07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marktwain

Everybody (in the U.S.) please double- and triple-check your polling place before Tuesday!  Mine changed right before primaries, and has changed twice since then.  I was notified of the change in May, but not of the 2 most recent changes.  When I pointed this out to my coworkers (who are mostly black - I don't know if that is important), we found out that 5 of 7 of their polling places had changed, and they had not been notified.  We all live in different parts of the city. In one case, a coworker's mother had been voting at the same place for over 20 years.

To me, this reeks of either dirty tricks or unbelievable incompetence.  Either way, there will be a lot of disenfranchised would-be voters come next Tuesday. >:(

So, PLEASE spread the word, especially to your friends who vote Democrat!  ;)

peanut butter puddin surprise

hey man, it's most likely that the election board finally got around to notifying everyone about the shifting metro districts.  when we went from city of louisville to metro, the voting districts also changed.

http://www.lojic.org/apps/voter/index.cfm

this link takes you to a site that you type in your address for and it gives you the address of your polling place.  of course, in bold letters it states "polling places subject to change", so check often, I guess!  :)

edit:  this is for jefferson county, kentucky only.  sorry mates.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

marktwain

Quotehey man, it's most likely that the election board finally got around to notifying everyone about the shifting metro districts.

No, the problem is that none of us had been notified!  I only found out about the change b/c I happened to check that website, and my coworkers only found out about theirs b/c they checked the website after I told them my story!

welp, i figure no one gives a hoot enough to notify everyone...voting is a right and a responsibility, so i guess they assume we all have deductive powers of ESP...or something like that.

i feel your pain man.  it is dirty tricks or apathy that will kill us.

katkillad

last time i tried to vote i ended up going to 3 different places and still didnt find the right one...its pretty unorganized.  They passed a law in ohio that allowed you to vote at any center you wanted to go to...then within a few days later it got overturned.  

let's just hope that there's no funny business with chads and whatnot.  this "electronic voting" has me scared.

what the hell is wrong with paper?

MMJ_fanatic

and speaking of dirty tricks--how about all these people registering in multiple towns in "battleground" states and towns, in those same states, with more registered voters than there are people of voting age.... ::) ???
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

yeah, what about them?  dirty tricks aren't right no matter who does them.  i was referring directly to the mayhem that was florida, 2000.

MMJ_fanatic

if we can cut out the apathy and minimize the dirty tricks maybe we'll survive. ;)

we shall see, grasshopper.  :)

Ian_Alan

Indeed, my voting booF has changed locations, i hope you know if yours has.

lfish

As a European, I really read those messages with an enormous disbelief.

How the hell is that possible in the land of the free, where democracy is the main pilar of existence?  The OSCE (organization for security and co-operation in Europe) is sending some people to watch and guard the correctness of the elections.  Normally they do that for some poor south african or south american country (like south africa in 1994).  Now they're feeling it's necessary to do it for the big, proud and fierce USA.

All over the world you can read that things aren't going like they should be going.  People are getting telephone calls of people who are blattering the other party, people don't get registered, addresses of voting bureaus are changing with the direction of the wind, ....

The only thing I feel now is sadness.  I hope there will be a clear winner tomorrow, but I fear the worst...
lfish

marktwain

I saw a poll yesterday that over half of Americans believe the courts will again decide our next president.  Yay for faith in democracy!  

I'm on the lookout for candidates for a benevolent dictator. I wonder if Wendell Berry is up for the job!

MMJ_fanatic

EC