How to hook a record player up to a computer

Started by harristrensky, Jan 02, 2005, 01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harristrensky

Is there any easy way to go about doing this?  Here's the deal, i have two turntables and a mixer. I am gunna bring upo one turntabe and the mixer. I am going of to school in a few weeks and i have a small apartment room. Rather than haul my bigass stereo up there and take up alot alot of space, I want to see if there is a way to play my records through my computer.  If anyone knows anything please reply i will be standing by. Thanks
I was a big old bear once.

wordawg

I bet this is really easy, and that people are guffawing all over the world at the fact that we are the only two people alive that don't know how to do this.

And you get a reply from someone that finds lacing up trainers difficult without pictures...... :'(

Hang around long enough and the answer will arrive.  
You may have to wait for the pubs to close.
the future is Ginger

corey

Do you have a PC or a Mac? If you have a mac, I can't help you.
If you have a PC, it's not that hard, but I'd rather not type it all out until I know which system that you're running.

corey

Do you have a PC or a Mac? If you have a mac, I can't help you.
If you have a PC, it's not that hard, but I'd rather not type it all out until I know which system that you're running.

harristrensky

alright man i have a PC and if you want to leave post directions feel free but if i am online then instant message me, my screen name is HarrisTrensky.  thanks
I was a big old bear once.

peanut butter puddin surprise

Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

corey

If you don't have any extra cash to spend, it should still be pretty easy to get you hooked up.

If you have a mixer with your turntable, I will assume that you have RCA outputs on it somewhere. If not, you should at least have a headphone jack.
Your PC should have a line-in (1/8 inch jack) somewhere on the soundcard. Mine has 3 holes on the back: line out, line in, and mic in.
You should be able to get an RCA to 1/8 inch cable at Radio Shack for 3 or 4 bucks. Plug the RCA cable in your mixer on the line out. Plug the 1/8 inch part of the cable into the line in on your sound card.
You'll have to find the mixer on your computer and control the line-in volume. It may be unchecked if you haven't used it before, so you may have to enable to get the sound to come through.
I've plugged things into my computer before and the sound came through automatically without having to make any adjustments. Maybe you'll get lucky and the same thing will happen.

Let me know if this works or not. If not, maybe we can troubleshoot and get you working...