favorite Movies about music?

Started by sweatboard, Dec 20, 2004, 06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

1. Almost Famous (so much heart in this film, I'm really excited about Elizabethtown)
2. The Doors (Val Kilmer was put on earth to star in this movie and he nailed it, Oliver Stone did a great job of telling the story in just a couple hours, the live scenes are so well done)
There's Still Time.........

EC

Documentaries
1. Heartworn Highways (If you haven't seen this, you need to.  hellacious can verify.  It is amazing.)
(very close) 2. Don't Look Back (Just got it for Christmas from my Uncle Irwin.  Very excited to finally own it.)
3.  The Last Waltz (Pretty self-explanatory)
4.  Year of the Horse (Nobody I know likes this movie, and I don't know why I do, but I really do.)

"Fictional" Movies
1.  Nashville (Do I need to say why?)
2.  Coal Miner's Daughter (The best I've ever seen Tommy Lee Jones.  Ever.)
3.  La Bamba (Yep.  Loved it.)
4.  greendale (I think I wrote why at greater length elsewhere on this board.)

I also liked The Doors and Almost Famous.  My favourite part in Almost Famous is the hotel scene where you catch a quick glimpse of that famous picture of Gram and Emmylou.  Nice little detail.

on edit:  crap, I just noticed there's another thread for the docs.  Oh well, I'm leavin' it here.  :D

lfish

lfish

antoniostrohs

Just a few I can think of.

Spinal Tap
Almost Famous
The Doors
A Mighty Wind
Coal Miners Daughter
Hard Days Night
Help

Oz

Spinal Tap, Spinal Tap, Spinal Tap....!  ;D

Also damn good: Gimme Shelter and a fictional movie about a female songwriter of wich I always forget the bloody name. Not 'One from the heart', but something like that.
I'm ready when you are

sweatboard

"This one goes to eleven"  ;D

sweatboard

Little known fact but, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam guitarist) plays the guitar for the band Stillwater on the score and the soundtrack of Almost Famous. I thought that was cool. I'm still trying to talk one of our local bands into covering "Fever Dog"

EC

(sweatboard, I love that you changed your sig line to that.  I've been laughing and laughing...)

sweatboard

SmoothOprtr

Lot's of good responses, but I also thought Rock Star with Mark Walberg was good and had a pretty good soundtrack.
The only two things in life that make it worth livin Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

marktwain

Am I allowed to say Elizabethtown yet?

peanut butter puddin surprise

QuoteAm I allowed to say Elizabethtown yet?

Shit yeah!  8)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

dogandponyshow

Have to throw out Eddie and the Cruisers....what was the song called.....on the Dark Side...something like that.

D.

Jellyfish

The Buddy Holly Story was a great movie.Gary Busey really had Buddy dead on.

The Rose....Bette Midler's finest performance,

and La Bamba,Lou Diamonds finest as well.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

Jellyfish

Quote4.  Year of the Horse (Nobody I know likes this movie, and I don't know why I do, but I really do.)

Me too,bro.You are a true Neil fan. ;)
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

sweatboard

I thoght Rock Star was good also.  I think alot of people discredit it to easily.

MMJ_fanatic

Spinal Tap
The Wall (kinda an abstract music movie I know)
Monterey Pop
American Pop (I know its animated but still cool)
Almost Famous! to think that Cameron Crowe was about that kid's age when he was jetting around with Zeppelin!!! I mean HOLY SHIT what an experience that must have been!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Coltrane

"Amadeus"--yeah, that's right, i'm a nerd..so what.

"The Wall"--I know some people,especially critics, hate this film...think it's pompus and arrogant and that Pink is completely unredeemable (isn't that the point of the film?? that he's trapped in this cycle and needs help to get out?? to be redeemable again??), but I don't care....i love it...it holds a special place in my life....
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

EC

You are so not a nerd for liking Amadeus.

Also, I can't believe I forgot about The Wall.  Has anyone ever listened to it while watching The Wizard of Oz?  Or is that Dark Side of the Moon?

Oh what the hell, you're usually high anyhow, so it wouldn't really matter...  

EC

Oh mylanta, how could I forget Quadrophenia?  (Does it count in this thread?)