Queen's new singer

Started by dogandponyshow, Dec 23, 2004, 11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antoniostrohs

I agree with you dogandponyshow on Springsteens great live show performances.He is definitely worth seeing.He is also a great songwriter,in my opinion.As far as the Beatles go,I am not a Beatles fanatic my any means and do not have any of their cds,but do have a couple on vinyl.And also do not listen to them unless their being played on the radio or elsewhere.But I just have a great respect them for what they have done for changing the way we listen to music.I probably sound like an old man preaching about youngsters not respecting their elders,if I do,sorry about that.
p.s.You mentioned Alan Parsons,he was the engineer on Abbey Road.

EC

Quotep.s.You mentioned Alan Parsons,he was the engineer on Abbey Road.

I did not know that.  Look at that.  My my.

dogandponyshow

Quite intersesting Antonistrohs.....amazing how that works sometimes.

D.

marktwain

I'd say the Beatles were influential.  THe Pope's named after 2 of them, right?

wordawg

QuoteI'd say the Beatles were influential.  THe Pope's named after 2 of them, right?

Funniest thing I've read all day.
Thank you.
the future is Ginger

marktwain

No problem ;D

I was watching a documentary on the Vatican today, and kept thinking how great it would be to have a Pope George Ringo

(By the way, I'm not Catholic, but I go to Catholic Church.  I hope I'm not offending anyone - just having a little fun.)

Oz

QuoteThis was the most British of Rock Bands

Ehm... And that makes them a good band?  ???
I'm ready when you are

Oz

The Beatles rule this planet, except for Paul McCarthy and Ringo Starr, ofcourse.  :)

Black Sabbath has a really annoying lead singer, but did kind of (not just them, ofcourse, but you get my drift) heavy metal, wich makes them, ehm, even more annoying, but influential nevertheless and therefor worth at least something, hell, maybe even the Hall of Fame.

I am unable to say anything positive about Queen until I haven't heard 'Bohemian Rapsody' for at least five years, wich is probably never going to happen. Sure, they've made some cool stuff (I like that Bycicle song, for instance, but maybe that's because I'm Dutch), but damn, I wish they'd stick that 'Mamamialetmego' somewhere else than in my ears.

And Eddie van Halen doing a solo record in the eighties... Ah, we shouldn't be discussing that, should we?
I'm ready when you are

tomEisenbraun

I'm gonna argue with Queens' over-ratedness. Thing is, I both agree and disagree.

Unfortunately, everyone, knows We Will Rock You, including my little four-year-old sister (this seriously disappointed me), who ran aorund the living room doing the good-ol stomp-stomp-clap to some kid's movie. Also abused would have to be We Are the Champions, and Bohemian Rhapsody. Though I love Bohemian Rhapsody to death, its been abused. Thing is, Queen became so popular for their "anthems" that people forget that they were just a kickass rock band. Songs like "Tie Your Mother Down" are just, well, rockin. Also insane was Freddy MErcury's guitar skills. This guy had so many tricks up his sleeve that got lost behind all the buzz of them being gay and having such a flamboyant stance. Unfortunately, as was the story with a LOT of awesome music from the eighties, their image sort of overshadowed their music.

So in conclusion, yes they are over-rated, but if you dig into their catalog, you'll find that all the fuss is in the wrong direction.

...hey big woman! you made a bad boy outta me...
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Oz

Well, I'm immediately going to have to confess that I didn't even know Freddy Mercury played guitar. So you've got me there...
I'm ready when you are

dogandponyshow

I would have to agree with you O....Brian May played guitar for Queen, not Freddie.  

D.

MMJ_fanatic

the fact still remains that Brian May is recognized far and wide as a tremendously capable guitarist so to write off Queen as over rated is short sighted considering their influence throughtout the industry
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

tomEisenbraun

QuoteI would have to agree with you O....Brian May played guitar for Queen, not Freddie.  

D.

oops. Definitely meant Brian May.
 :-[
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Oz

Err, okay.  :)

Still, just the fact that a band has a good guitar player, doesn't mean that band is good. Sure, they are good, they have a bunch of good songs, their band members are all musically very skilled, but they're still overrated. I mean, over here in Holland, we have this thing called the Top 2000, wich is like the best 2000 songs of all time, voted by anyone who wants to vote. We've had that since the year 2000 and every fucking year 'Bohemian rapsody' is nr. 1. If that doesn't apply for the label 'overrated', I don't know what does. "Hurray, there's a shit opera part in it, wow, what a masterpiece!" I mean, c'mon!  >:(
I'm ready when you are

wordawg

I don't know whether they are good, bad or over rated.
I do know that I didn't rate them.
the future is Ginger

peanut butter puddin surprise

I'm not sure I agree.  Queen isn't necessarily "overrated", but rather "overexposed".  We're almost at 30 years of Bohemian Rhapsody being played nonstop on the so-called "rock" stations, along with all the other radio hits that get played ad nauseum.  If I were in charge of Clear Channel, I would pull Bob Seger, Queen, ZZ Top, Foreigner, and about 50% of the Zeppelin/Stones tunes that get played every four seconds.

But back to Queen:  c'mon, overrated?  No way!  If you consider the context of the rise of Queen, in that time period, it's amazing they even got signed in the first place, let alone become superstars.  Their rise clearly shows the difference between American rock and British/European rock.  Think of American rock from that period:  Boston (file that under "pull when Conaway takes over Clear Channel), Aerosmith, etc.  Now think of British rock:  Zeppelin, the Stones, Bowie...Queen.  Does Queen fit with the "glam" tag, or is it more classic like Zeppelin?  Think of the operatic and classical music flourishes throughout their music:  these guys met at music school, all were professionally and classically trained musicians.  Despite that, they don't fit in as a prog act either.  So for mere classification defiance, they aren't overrated, just overexposed.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

SMc55

QuoteI don't know whether they are good, bad or over rated.
I do know that I didn't rate them.

Me too. I don't know why, but I always thought they were a bit of a joke, and not in the same league as, say, Led Zep. And it's not that I didn't like a bit of glam rock, T Rex were my first love.

I did like the sweet stuff, though. You're My Best Friend does far more for me than their other work.

peanut butter puddin surprise

Quotenot in the same league as, say, Led Zep

well, then again, who is?  :)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

SMc55

well, then again, who is?  :)

Good point, John

antoniostrohs

John,Great point on being overated or overexposed.That can fit a lot of the classic rock genre especially here in the Louisville area.